Continuous Applique with Stipple! Seashells

We recieved a question from one of our customers and we wanted to share the answer with everybody!

“I love your Stipple sea shells. I don’t have a magna hoop and I am not sure you have one for the Janome 11000. I don’t see it working the same way. Could you help me? I am very interested. -Maxine”

Yes, you can create continuous appliqué with Stipple! Seashells. All you need is a large embroidery hoop and templates. Follow the steps below to achieve success.

Print a template of the Waveborder design on vellum or tracing paper.

Make a 12” x 44” quilt sandwich of backing, batting and top fabric to make two 3 ½” x 40” borders. Hoop the upper left portion of the quilt sandwich. Stitch the Waveborder design at the top left of the sewing field. Add the applique as instructed in the Stipple! Shell Collection. Once complete, remove the quilt sandwich from the hoop.

Reposition the fabric to connect the next design with the previously stitched design. Keep the applique strip out of the design area while hooping.

Once hooped, smooth the applique fabric over the new sewing field.

Place the Waveborder template in the hoop, aligning the top of the new design with the bottom of the previously stitched design.

Your goal is to connect the design as shown below.

You can hold onto the template and carefully slide the left side of the applique strip to the right to reveal the straight stitches. You want the stitched line on the template to match up with the stitching on the fabric.

Once you’re satisfied that everything matches up, securely tape or pin the template to the hooped fabric. Or slide a target sticker under the template’s crosshair.

Carefully slide the applique strip out from under the template, (just fold it back over itself at the top of the hoop).

Attach the hoop to the machine.

Use the jog keys to move the needle to the center of the template’s crosshair.

Use the trace feature on the machine to position the needle at the upper left corner of the design. The needle should be aligned with the straight line on the first design. If not, move the design.

Make sure the design is in the correct orientation on the screen (matching the orientation of the template). Remove the template.

Stitch color 1. Smooth the applique strip down over the first color and stitch color two, the tackdown. Insert

Repeat until you have stitched the complete design. In the image below, the first design was stitched in the bean stitch version of the design, while the second repeat was stitched in the run version. I did this so you could see where one design ended and the next one began.

Thanks for your question, Maxine!
Maxine’s question was about a Design’s in Machine Embroidery product called Stipple! Seashells.  You can find more information here.
Here’s a video that talks about our newest Stipple! Collection.

14 Comments on Continuous Applique with Stipple! Seashells

1. Vera
    May 12, 2010 at 4:38 pm (9 years ago)

THANK YOU! I have printed out templates before, but never really understood how you used them to “line up” a design for continuous patterns. (I have a 6 needle Babylock, so would LOVE to try longer designs.) I’m inspired. Going to try some border designs ASAP. Thanks so much!

2. eaglelady53
    May 16, 2010 at 1:51 pm (9 years ago)

Eileen, I LOVE your stipple/applique designs, especially this latest one for seashells. However, i still have a basic machine that only does 4×4″ designs. and as much as I’d love to upgrade to one with a larger field of stitching, it’s not possible anytime in the future. But with my little machine, I’m not able to buy your wonderful designs. Is it possible you would ever consider making stipple/applique designs meant for those of us with the smaller 4×4″ field of stitching? I know there HAS to be more of us out there who don’t have machines that will stitch 5×7″ designs. PLEASE make some beautiful designs for us, too! thanks much for your consideration! Rita Werner

3. Deb Fischer
    July 6, 2010 at 9:24 pm (9 years ago)

I love how you make things so simple for even me, a virtual beginner. Now that I have upgraded to a Baby Lock Elisimo, I can’t wait for my Retirement in 6 months so I can try your Stipple designs!

4. Paulette Campbell
    July 7, 2010 at 4:05 pm (9 years ago)

I have only a 5×7 inch hoop will that work with the continuous border? Your instructions say large hoop but did not know if a 5×7 is considered large.
    Thanks.

5. Kathi Stowe
    July 9, 2010 at 10:10 pm (9 years ago)

I was very excited to see that you have the snap-hoop for Viking Sewing Machines – but then noticed that the models you listed did not include mine. I have a Viking Quilt Designer II; will there be a snap-hoop that will work with my machine any time soon?

Thank you.

6. Debbra Gamble
    January 26, 2011 at 2:01 am (9 years ago)

I’m working on the Seashell Stipple design and am going to love the end result. I’m not a quilter, so the reverse piecing technique is an easy way for great results. The instructions for the quilt are great, however, they seem to stop after showing how to put the blocks together with this technique. It would have been great to have pictures with the instructions on how to complete attaching the borders and corners. I’m finding the last part of the instructions confusing especially without pictures, but hope to be able to be able complete this great project.

7. grammiegae
    February 25, 2011 at 10:14 pm (9 years ago)

How am I supposed to remember this when I need it?

Please tell me there is a way to print this post—my attempts were dismal.

I signed up for your blogs, but if I can’t print the information they will be of little use.

HELP!

gae

• NJ MCDARMONT
      June 15, 2011 at 12:05 am (8 years ago)

COPY AND PASTE INTO A WORD DOCUMENT AND SAVE.

8. garcinia cambogia for weight loss
    August 2, 2013 at 11:57 pm (6 years ago)

What’s up it’s me, I am also visiting this website regularly,
    this web page is genuinely nice and the people are truly sharing fastidious thoughts.

9. candy crush saga do
    July 15, 2014 at 3:02 pm (5 years ago)

So if you are a lady with a cheating husband, and you refuse to search for the truth, nicely then that’s your option,
    on the other hand generally the proof oftentimes stares
    you in the face.

10. I do not even understand how I finished up right here, but I believed this post was once great. I do not understand who you might be however definitely you are going to a famous blogger in case you are not already. Cheers!

11. Autos Script
    August 29, 2017 at 7:20 pm (2 years ago)

hey there solid blog website and layout. I am hoping I am not annoying you I merely wanted to inquire precisely what wordpress plugin you use to show the newest commentary on your blog? I want to do exactly the same for my free apple iphone page but I cant find the plugin or widget for it. Thanks for your time

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Continuous Applique with Stipple! Seashells

1. […] Now that you’re all excited about stitching continuous designs on your embroidery machines, here’s a few of my favorite methods that we’ve discussed in the past: Continuous Applique with Stipple Seashells. […]

2. […] Continuous AppliqueThe wave border on the Seashell quilt is made of two fabrics: the quilt top is white and the appliqué is the blue batik– both are 43” long.  A fun but challenging technique, continuous appliqué gives the illusion of a giant hoop when in reality it’s multi-hooping on a home embroidery machine. It’s a quite a bit easier with a flat magnetic hoop like Snap-Hoop but here’s how you do in a standard hoop: http://dzgns.com/blog/2010/05/continuous-applique-with-stipple-seashells/ […]