From Sunny California

My Stitching Sister Marie Zinno and I are in sunny Garden Grove, California right in the middle of a Stitching Sister’s event sponsored by Moore’s.  The event is at the beautiful Crown Plaza Hotel and Resort.

As you can see—it’s a spacious layout yet cozy enough to make new friends who share your love for machine embroidery!

My Stitching Sister, Marie and I know machine embroidery can be challenging—whether you’re new to embroidery or if you’ve been stitching for years. We know you don’t want to just go home with a finished project—you want to learn a new technique you can apply again and again. That’s why our Stitching Sister’s events are all about technique. FIFTY techniques to be exact! Marie and I share with you 50 fabulous techniques in every Stitching Sisters event that are sure to have you stitching like a pro!

Three of our guests at the Stitching Sisters event— Beverly, Marilyn and Donna take a moment to share their beautiful smiles as they embroider with the Baby Lock Ellisimo machine.

Bevery, Marilyn and Donna

My trusty assistant Amanda snapped this ‘action photo’ of me helping two students—Suzie and Katherine.

Suzie, Eileen and Katherine

George Moore, the owner of FIVE Moore’s stores in California keeps popping up in the front of the class for some very generous giveaways! Here he is giving away a Floriani Top 100 Polyester Embroidery Thread Collection!

We’re having a wonderful time!  For more Stitching Sister’s events be sure to check out our schedule.

This week we’re giving away Stipple! All Seasons Borders!  To enter simply leave a comment.  We want to know what you’re stitching up right now!  What projects do you have in the works or what projects are you getting ready to start on?

65 Comments on From Sunny California

1. Sue Anderson
    May 4, 2011 at 10:55 pm (4 years ago)

I am starting a house warming gift for a friend of my daughter’s who is like a second daughter to me. She and her husband are moving into their first home together at the end of May. I would love to add the wall hanging to the gift package. It just looks like Jenna! Thank you for the inspiration.

2. Beth Rowan
    May 4, 2011 at 11:11 pm (4 years ago)

I am working on kitchen curtains, and on a table runner for the dining room. The kitchen curtains are partially done (I just have one more window to go … yay!), and the table runner just became a project after I was inspired by a design I created from a tutorial. I stitched the design on mylar, and like it so much I decided that I needed to stitch more of them LOL! And then there are the pillowcases I plan to make, and after that – well, maybe I’ll finish a few UFOs. Thanks for the fun blog to encourage me along!

3. Sandra Bassett
    May 4, 2011 at 11:23 pm (4 years ago)

My yoga instructor uses a class set of those long styrofoam water noodles for some of our classes. they are too long for any traditional sports bag so she carries them around in a big green garbage bag (not very pretty). I am making her a tubular drawstring bag from a large piece of upholstery fabric. I have a set of cat and dog figures doing yoga moves and I am going to embroider them along the length of it.

4. Donna G.
    May 4, 2011 at 11:50 pm (4 years ago)

My daughter works in a health care facility and I’ve been making her scrub tops. With all of the beautiful fabrics available, they’re much nicer than ready-to-wear. Plus, I can add extra pockets for the “stuff” she has to carry while on the floor!I’m also making a table topper and practicing my free motion quilting. I hope it’s true that “practice makes perfect”! I’d even settle for “pretty good”!

5. Jane Waite
    May 5, 2011 at 1:23 am (4 years ago)

I am currently making a top for myself and may consider using the embroidery machine for the buttonholes as I have never tried it that way. I previously had done some ITH projects such as coasters, a nook cover, zipper cases and a placemat done ITH. Your designs look like they would be fun to add to a jacket.

6. Katrina H
    May 5, 2011 at 4:11 am (4 years ago)

I’m trying to finish up some last minute piecing for a mother’s day gift!

7. Paule-Marie
    May 5, 2011 at 2:25 pm (4 years ago)

I’m working on several things right now. A minky strip quilt, a red white and blue star wallhanging and a quilt for my former manager who just retired and is also a 5 yr breast cancer survivor. I will probably use my Ellisimo in embroidery mode to quilt the r,w&b quilt and will be embroidering on my manager’s quilt before I quilt it.

8. Mary G
    May 5, 2011 at 3:28 pm (4 years ago)

I am making a dress for my daughter and also working on an Abundantly Blessed quilt for my grand daughter’s graduation. At guild we are currently making baby quilts for various needs organizations.

9. Kathi Miller
    May 5, 2011 at 9:00 pm (4 years ago)

I always have a couple projects going at the same time. Right now I am making 8″ and 4″ pinwheel blocks that are used to set a Christmas machine embroidered quilt called Deck the Halls. Also working on some placemats and adding beading to a small seashell wallhanging I made for a gift. While all this is going on, my wheels are turning on how to do sashing for my Farmer’s Wife Sampler quilt. There’s always something going on in my sewing room!

10. Phyllis Finger
    May 5, 2011 at 9:22 pm (4 years ago)

I am making a Skirt for the American Sewing Guild creativity contest with appliqued embroidery designs.

11. Judy Coke
    May 5, 2011 at 11:42 pm (4 years ago)

I just found this site. What an enjoyable way to see what others are sewing.
    I am happiest when in my “sewing room” where I have my computer and machines and all my stashes. I am currently working on a set of placemats to match the bride’s grandmothers dishes which were a wedding gift. I searched quite awhile to find the blue onion pattern! I am also working on a table topper for my sister who along with her husband have 8 bee hives. The design of course has bees.

12. Cassie Bochenek
    May 6, 2011 at 11:55 am (4 years ago)

Looks like a great product for a person who wants to learn more advanced border options

13. Joyce Carey
    May 6, 2011 at 3:48 pm (4 years ago)

I plan to spend the weekend working on office attire that will cover my plus-size figure – nothing purchased ever seems to fit correctly since I have broad shoulders, short arms, a long torso and short stubby legs. My retired husband plans that I will be showing him how to quilt this weekend so that we can join the quilting group at our church when I retire. He’s not very good with tools so I’m debating on letting him use the rotary cutter. But the far bigger problem is teaching someone who is color-blind how to put colors together successfully. That and the two teenaged tuxedo cats who have to be right in the middle of everything we do. I’ve already stocked up on chocolate to help me and hubby mellow out when things get a little tense! Jake and Elwood will just curl up in the material bin and take cat naps!

14. Donna Kowalski
    May 6, 2011 at 3:49 pm (4 years ago)

I love to be able to wear some of my quilting projects have make a quilted sweatshirt jack and my favorite is a pair of jeans with embroidered butterflys up one leg. I think the its time for one more jacket.

15. Carol Seavitt
    May 6, 2011 at 5:16 pm (4 years ago)

Just finished some embroidered hat patches for my church and now on the graduation quilt and graduation gifts. I bought a 2011 graduation design and think I’ll add this to her ‘old t-shirt quilt’ that is next on my list. Now back to the cleaning for the party!

16. Sher Mattison
    May 6, 2011 at 5:32 pm (4 years ago)

You guys come up with the BESTEST stuff!! What an awesome new product! Can’t wait to try it out (even if I don’t win!)

17. Wendy Scott
    May 6, 2011 at 8:05 pm (4 years ago)

I am working on some horses for rag quilts, I am going to try to use the embroidery to hold the two squares together instead of a boring X.

18. Patricia Bauer
    May 6, 2011 at 8:06 pm (4 years ago)

I recently finished the Pretty Princess book project published in DME in 2005. I’m really pleased with how it came out. Had my machine serviced while I was on vacation, so now I’m ready to start on my next projects: AnitaGoodesign’s Haunted House and Christmas Village. I also have a photo quilt in the design phase. So many projects….

19. Sue McGee
    May 6, 2011 at 8:08 pm (4 years ago)

Your projects are always inspiriting. I have more ideas than time to complete. Right now I’m working on quilt blocks and incorporating designs for a infant gown to be donated to the SAGA (smocking guild) Convention next fall.

20. Rae H.
    May 6, 2011 at 8:11 pm (4 years ago)

Working on mother’s Day gifts! I had so much fun at the Orange County Stitching Sisters event, May 3-4, 2011.

21. Caroline
    May 6, 2011 at 8:12 pm (4 years ago)

I am working on swimsuit cover ups for my girls and a counting book for my youngest.

22. Patty Happel
    May 6, 2011 at 8:12 pm (4 years ago)

I’m working on a quilt for my son’s new house.

23. Lynn Lawrence
    May 6, 2011 at 8:27 pm (4 years ago)

I am embroidering baseball hats for girls with circle and dots frame and letter in center. I am making pillows and dustruffle for friend.

24. Sharon Blaylock
    May 6, 2011 at 8:29 pm (4 years ago)

I am doing a redwork embroidery quilt pattern that I bought in Sisters, Oregon last year. It is called Aunt Bea’s Parlor by Judy

25. Sharon Blaylock
    May 6, 2011 at 8:33 pm (4 years ago)

Sorry, I hit a wrong button. The rest of the story is Judy Reynolds. I am doing it on my new Brother Quattro which I am still learning about. It is embroidered in red thread and the blocks are square in a square thirties material, which I really like to work with. The borders are white and thirties material 1/4 square triangles. I cut all those out while the machine did it’s work. I’ve got 5 out of 20 blocks done.

26. jennifer w.
    May 6, 2011 at 8:58 pm (4 years ago)

right now i am working on a quilt (it’s only my second one!) for my brothers new baby to be born in june.

27. Caroline Weber
    May 6, 2011 at 8:59 pm (4 years ago)

After reading the above replies, I feel lazy. But I am making blankets & books for two of my great grandchildren.

28. Jeanie Wright
    May 6, 2011 at 9:11 pm (4 years ago)

I just started making a quilt for our king-sized bed last week, using your One Step Quilting & Applique Stipple — Seashells. I plan to make four of the 45 x 45″ quilts, less the borders, and then put one border around the whole quilt. So far, so good!

• Eileen Roche
      May 9, 2011 at 8:10 pm (4 years ago)

Jean, please share photos with us of the finished quilt. I would love to see it!

29. Cindy
    May 6, 2011 at 9:32 pm (4 years ago)

I am gathering fabric to begin learning to quilt! I am in awe of the beautiful creations made by others and I want to become a part of this bevy of artisans!

May 6, 2011 at 9:42 pm (4 years ago)

I just finished a pillow for my granddaughter and need to think about doing something for my sister as a house warming gift, as she just bought a new house. Looks like you are having an absolute blast in California !!
    Gail

31. JoAn GODFREY
    May 6, 2011 at 10:13 pm (4 years ago)

i am making a quilt from the book, jelly roll inspirations. i am using a batik pack called taffy with a beautiful tropical batik for the focus fabric.

32. pam goodman
    May 6, 2011 at 10:19 pm (4 years ago)

I am working on a a bunch of kitchen towels and potholders. My plan after that is to get a jump on Christmas presents. We’ll see how that goes…

33. Evelyn Gonzalez
    May 6, 2011 at 10:58 pm (4 years ago)

Hi! How exciting to be entering a Stipples contest! The “All Seasons Borders” stipple design has me intrigued and I’d love to incorporate Stipples into my next quilting project. Right now I am finishing quilting a runner and six place mats (that were supposed to be ready in time for Easter dinner-didn’t quite make that one!), an appliqued bulletin board cover that will have embroidery designs on the borders (haven’t quite decided exactly what I’ll be embroidering yet), and, lastly, I am piecing together MY VERY FIRST QUILT, which I am totally pumped about. I have seen various Stipples packages for sale on the internet, and am thinking of purchasing the butterflies one. I simply love sewing, embroidering and quilting, and this blog is the abosolute best!! Thank you!

34. Suzanne Thebeau
    May 6, 2011 at 11:08 pm (4 years ago)

I am doing crazy patch quilt………blocks all done in the hoop – I am Hooked!!!!!!!

35. Doreen
    May 7, 2011 at 12:42 am (4 years ago)

I embroidered a bunch of Mother’s Day Cards for my mom, sister-in-laws, daughter-in-law, etc.

36. Kathy Myers
    May 7, 2011 at 12:43 am (4 years ago)

I am going to make a pillow with my great-niece with her handprints on it with I love my Mommy for her mother for Mother’s Day.

37. ginger breier
    May 7, 2011 at 1:11 am (4 years ago)

I am working on a quilt to be donated to the local gymnastics facility. they sponsor low income, and kids from abusive home, etc. the money will go into their scholorship program.

I am a beginner and the quilting borders would be perfect!!

38. deborah hays
    May 7, 2011 at 2:25 am (4 years ago)

I am working on a samplar for my niece who just got married….

39. Kathy H
    May 7, 2011 at 4:18 am (4 years ago)

I am working on a quilt (my first!!) for my sister’s 25th wedding anniversary. I have the fabric, a general layout but need help with the actual quilting:). I hope this gets done before her 50th!!

40. Mufti
    May 7, 2011 at 4:59 am (4 years ago)

Eileen, I have just discovered your pages here…(I’m self taught on both ‘puter and “Pf” emb machine- live in country). Just read your posting about continuous embroidery and how to get it joined in a way without hiccups. Thankyou, thankyou! what an eye-opener enlightener and such a tutoring for me. Presently I have been making up-market tote style bags for discerning ladies who generally don’t sew, but like nice things, (as well as other more simple bags as real time permits) I can see I could love to use your stipple technique on some of these bags! Maybe I shall get lucky? Thankyou again for your sharing, both in instruction and gifting. Cheers, Mufti in Westn Aus

41. Beth Shelton
    May 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm (4 years ago)

With the grandchildren’s Easter outfits done weeks ago, I am “resting” but getting inspriation from Designs and websites, etc. We have a Ladies Spring Luncheon at church coming up and I am donating embroidered towels and in-the-hoop little purses with gift cards. At some point, I plan on embroidering some of my plain shirts that I wear, but I know there will pop up someone I want to gift to, as this is what I really enjoy!

42. Nancy
    May 7, 2011 at 7:37 pm (4 years ago)

Currently I am working on Xmas gifts by monograming towels, making tissue boxes, and an applicurve hearts and gizzard quilt.

43. Nancy
    May 7, 2011 at 7:42 pm (4 years ago)

I should say I am from sunny Arizona.

44. Alice M
    May 8, 2011 at 11:37 pm (4 years ago)

I am working on a Mystery Embroidery BOM quilt from my local quilt shop. Three months worth done and 3 to go. Only 6 colors, but I think it is going to turn out great!!! Not sure what my next project will be.

45. Janice
    May 9, 2011 at 4:22 am (4 years ago)

Had a great time at the Santa Rosa stitching event. Put an embrodiery on a shirt, a first for me and I am going to be starting some towels for a wedding gift.

46. Betsy
    May 9, 2011 at 6:32 pm (4 years ago)

I just finished my first applique project. That was fun! I started a quilt for my daughter a few months ago and took a break from that to make her a bed runner. Then I had an idea for a quilt for my bed, incorporating embroidery into it, but couldn’t make up my mind how I wanted to do it. So, it’s back to my daughter’s project for now…..so many ideas, so little time…..

47. Cathy
    May 10, 2011 at 4:21 am (4 years ago)

I am finally getting back to my 2010 Akaska shop hop quilt. I did the appliqué blocks last year but never got around to the pieced blocks – time to finsh this project so I can start a new project…like the Stipple All Seasons quilt!

48. Genette McKnight
    May 10, 2011 at 11:26 am (4 years ago)

I am working on a king size quilt that I am digitizing from the 12th century stain-glass window: “The Jesse Tree” at the Chartres Cathedral. I have digitized 8 of the 28 panels and appliqued/embroidered/quilted 6 of them. It is labor intensive but I am enjoying ever minute of the effort.

49. Sophia Hall
    May 10, 2011 at 1:34 pm (4 years ago)

I love the bright fabrics you chose! I am currently wokring on an embroidered purse design for my preteen daughter–eagerly waiting for sunshine in the North!!

50. Brigitte Cowan
    May 10, 2011 at 6:03 pm (4 years ago)

I am currently working on the quilt that never ends. It is a queen sized quilt with lots of machine embroidery and also tons of quilting. I enjoy it. I just wish my machine could use a Magna Quilter Hoop. That would make it go soooo much faster and more efficiently.

51. Valerie Usowicz
    May 11, 2011 at 1:41 am (4 years ago)

I’m have 3 quilts to finish for my granddaughters. One is a Drunkards Path in bright colors – pinks and greens, one is a Crazy Patch that is in lots of purples and prints, and the last one is a Fairy Panel with embroidery around it and smaller fairy blocks. Two need to be quilted and the 3rd still has a lot of constuction to be done. I have Stipple Butterflys and want to make a wall hanging with that for a very special young friend. I love the borders stiple you just released, very very nice with lots of possiblities. Thanks for your encouragment.

52. Cathy
    May 11, 2011 at 1:06 pm (4 years ago)

I am working on a baby quilt, door hanger and onesies for my new Grandson that will arrive at the end of June. I am so excited this will be the second Grandson in less than two years. After I am done with everything for him I want to work on a quilt for us. I always seem to be making things for everyone else. I would really like to make something that I can keep.

53. Brigitte Cowan
    May 11, 2011 at 10:23 pm (4 years ago)

Just got my new Magna Hoop in the mail. I will be an embroidering MACHINE this week, trying out new ways to use it. I have wanted one for so long. I finally got one for Mother’s Day. My hubby knows what I like.

54. Charlotte
    May 14, 2011 at 11:18 pm (4 years ago)

I am working o pillowcases for the grandchildren and also making small zippered pouches. I love sewing and embroidering things for friends and family :)

55. Judy Brennan
    May 17, 2011 at 5:55 pm (4 years ago)

I love embroidery work, and LOVE making quilts. This is a perfect combo for my love and passion. Thank you SO MUCH!

56. Leslie Peacock
    May 21, 2011 at 6:45 pm (4 years ago)

I am currently working on a major embroidery project involving geishas on a long evening coat. I love making wearables and use a lot of embroidery designs and decorative stitching on my garments. I use many thread techniques and lots of decorative type threads – my motto “If some is good, more is better!!”

57. Lynette Panozzo
    July 7, 2011 at 4:34 am (4 years ago)

Hi,
    Just adore this stippling package.
    At the moment I am working on Crib sized quilt with Owls and I think the stippling would look fantastic through it and around.
    Please keep the hints coming.
    Vic., Australia

58. Miriam Landers
    July 9, 2011 at 3:33 am (4 years ago)

I would like the Design Dr. Oz to do an article on TRUE OR FALSE statements regarding machine cleaning, oiling, using sewers ease on metalic thread, how far from the machine should the spool of thread be, etc. It seem like every time I take a class or go to a siminar there is conflicting information.

59. Lynn Peare
    July 12, 2011 at 7:00 am (4 years ago)

Your personal capability and kindness in dealing with all things was vital.

60. lildre
    July 22, 2011 at 12:36 pm (4 years ago)

Excellent post however I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this subject? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Many thanks!

61. sparkenciel
    July 27, 2013 at 11:53 am (2 years ago)

Heya! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the great work!

62. nootropics
    November 14, 2013 at 2:11 pm (2 years ago)

Your website has a lot of stupendous information that is related to my own. Mind if I link to you from my website?

63. Marcellus Tofil
    October 20, 2014 at 11:24 am (7 months ago)

Please keep our water safe! There are alternative products that can be used for exfoliating. Please use those instead of plastic. The idea of putting plastic on your face is strange anyways. Thank you, Dana