How to insert zippers!

A few weeks ago, over 60% of you told me that inserting zippers is your biggest challenge. I understand how you could struggle with that task so I thought I would post this tutorial on how to use your embroidery machine to insert a zipper into two pieces of fabric.  Click here to download these instructions.  Then go to step 1 below to download two zipper designs, one for 7” zippers and one for 9” zippers. These designs can be lengthened to accommodate any size zipper you can fit in your hoop. Just make sure when you resize, you only increase the length of the design, not the width!

Take a look at how simple (with perfect results!) this task can be.

1. Download the design and send it to your embroidery machine.
    2. Prepare your fabric. Cut the fabric pieces what ever width you need. Cut the length 10”. Fold ½” and press one edge. Repeat for the other piece of fabric.
    3. Hoop water soluble stabilizer (the cloth type, not the film). Stitch color 1. Color 1 includes the outline of the zipper tape, a center line for positioning the coil and two hash marks, top and bottom of the zipper.
    4. Center the zipper on the outline, placing the zipper tab above the box and hash marks. Tape the top of the zipper to the stabilizer.
    5. Position the zipper on the center line, matching the coil to the stitched line.
    6. Tape the lower edge, outside of the box.
    7. Place one piece of fabric along the coil, folded edge right next to the coil.
    8. Repeat for the other piece of fabric. Tape the fabrics to the coil. Place another piece of tape at the bottom of the design (lift the fabric to see the location of the hash marks) straddling the coil. Do this so the embroidery foot doesn’t catch the second piece of fabric as it travels around the coil.
    9. Stitch color 2.

1. There’s your zipper! Perfectly installed and ready for a back of a pillow or small cosmetic case.

1. If you want to install a zipper into a skirt or top, just cut the fabric as instructed from the pattern instructions. Seam the two pieces to the bottom of the zipper as marked on the pattern. Press the seam allowance open, extending the pressing (and fold) beyond the end of the stitching. When adding the fabric to the zipper in Step 7, just place the end of the seam at the bottom hash marks. Proceed as outlined above.

Who wants a free subscription to Designs in Machine Embroidery magazine? Just leave a comment telling us what you’re making for holiday gifts this year. Do you have a regular go-to gift or does everyone receive something different?

Here’s your ongoing assignment through October:

Go visit the Designs in Machine Embroidery Facebook page. Then post a photo of your smiling face with your favorite issue of the magazine! Be sure to check out the photos already posted!  (You’ll need Explorer V9 or better or the latest Google Chrome, Firefox, etc to view)

Don’t miss Eileen’s weekly blog!  Subscribe now.  It’s free!

165 Comments on How to insert zippers!

1. Sandy Smith
    September 14, 2011 at 6:39 pm (8 years ago)

I just finished a set of zoo puppets for my grandchildren. I made a set for each family.

• Cindy McCarty
      September 14, 2011 at 10:41 pm (8 years ago)

I am making a t-shirt for each family member (17 in all) using the North Pole 9 to 5 from Emblibrary (http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/search.aspx?search=north%20pole). There are 13 different designs that give Christmas “jobs” (reindeer trainer, fruitcake taster, etc.) to each person so I have to go into the software and make up 4 more “jobs.” I think it will make a really cute Christmas picture for the extended family. Don’t you?

• Eileen Roche
        September 15, 2011 at 9:19 pm (8 years ago)

Absolutely! Please share photos on facebook when you can!

• maryanne fox
      September 14, 2011 at 10:47 pm (8 years ago)

I found the white plastic coffee cups at the dollar store so i think i will make the wrap around monogram hot holder to put around each one.

September 14, 2011 at 7:23 pm (8 years ago)

I just finished some pillows for my grandson and granddaughter as they just redid their bedrooms.
    Gail

September 14, 2011 at 7:26 pm (8 years ago)

Eileen, OMG, I forgot to thank you for the wonderful zipper and tutorial design!!I am sure all of us will love it, and it will make putting in a zipper a snap!
    Gail

4. Rebecca
    September 14, 2011 at 7:33 pm (8 years ago)

Eileen, this is why we love you so much. Amazing Zipper file!!

• Eileen Roche
      September 15, 2011 at 9:20 pm (8 years ago)

Oh, Rebecca – you’re so sweet!

• Maureen
        November 11, 2011 at 4:23 am (8 years ago)

Hi Eileen,
        I’m having trouble downloading the zipper file and I really, really want this one… I have a bernina aurora 440 Q&E, using Embroidery software Art design. Any suggestions? I’m using windows 7. Please help…
        Thanks Maureen

5. Lori
    September 14, 2011 at 7:37 pm (8 years ago)

You didn’t mention what holiday so I thought I’d start with halloween. I plan on making some screen mesh trick or treat bags this year for a friends grandson’s. I made some a few years back for some friends and they turned out really cute. For Christmas, I may make some pillow cases and simple backpacks for friends children & grandchildren. I’d like to make some embroidered towels or placemats for my mother-in-law too. I have 3 red quilted blank tablerunners I may embroider for gifts also. I’d like to start a stash of FSL angels as mine are all gone now and I need to replenish the stock. A friend also had a baby girl in July and I need to make her a first Christmas stocking/ornament. I use design that Tina from Tina’s Cross Stitch Designs gave free every year until she closed her site. I’m made dozens of her free stocking through the years and personalized them at the top. After that, we’ll see what I have time for. 🙂

• Eileen Roche
      September 15, 2011 at 9:20 pm (8 years ago)

Lori – you are so busy!

6. Jennifer
    September 14, 2011 at 7:43 pm (8 years ago)

I never would have thought to use my embroidery hoop to insert a zipper that is really neat.

As far as holiday gifts, I am making a couple of different halloween baby quilts for some friends. Both couples love halloween and are very non-traditional. It has been a lot of fun to see it come together. I am thinking about doing a table runner for my husband’s aunt for Christmas. I hope it all works out.
    Jen

7. Beth
    September 14, 2011 at 7:56 pm (8 years ago)

I usually make embroidered tree ornaments to give away!

8. Jill Rust
    September 14, 2011 at 7:56 pm (8 years ago)

I am making purses and place mats and shirts with my new embroidery machine. I am so excited to hear about this way of putting in a zipper – can’t wait to give it a try!

• Eileen Roche
      September 15, 2011 at 9:22 pm (8 years ago)

Jill – practice on scrap fabric first to master the technique. You can always take the stitches our and reuse the zipper. Have fun!

9. Nedra
    September 14, 2011 at 8:00 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks for the innovative way to do a zipper. Never would have thought of doing that myself. I am going to make my mother a fleece cardigan and do so embroidery that I designed. I can hardly wait to begin.

• Eileen Roche
      September 16, 2011 at 1:37 am (8 years ago)

Nedra, I haven’t tried this technique on fleece so I suggest doing a practice run first! The loftiness of the fleece sort of worries me so consider using extra tape to hold don the fleece.

• Dany
        July 16, 2016 at 10:16 am (3 years ago)

Sure hope those babies arrive soon, Becky! How exeictd you must be! Love your hearts, I really would love to try my hand at making some. Thanks for hosting another party!!

October 23, 2016 at 7:22 am (3 years ago)

January in a Georgia court one of tjhe (unreported lawsuits against Obama's eligibility was tried) and 17 top forensic document specialist declared under oath that Obama's birth certificate he released is a blatant FORGERY- Oh you didnt read about it in the paper or even on FOX NEWS- I wonder why cvould it be that the rich guys that control Obama can control FOX news also? Yes reporters have been fired from FOX NEWS who reported that Obama is in-eligible to be president-

November 15, 2016 at 10:08 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks Barbara, I appreciate you taking the time to read and to post a comment. It uplifts the soul to have people you have never met leave nice comments and post well wishes when one is not in the best of shape. I did survive and am still kicking around. Thanks much! Cheers, John D. Wilson

10. Vicki
    September 14, 2011 at 8:06 pm (8 years ago)

I am making aprons with Halloween embroidery on them for daughter in laws.
    And I am starting a sweat shirt with embroidery on it for a lady at a nursing home that I go visit.

11. Judie
    September 14, 2011 at 8:10 pm (8 years ago)

Thank you for the zipper instructions and download. Great idea for inserting zippers w/o worry. Can’t wait to try a pillow cover. Love Designs in Machine Embroidery.

12. Marge
    September 14, 2011 at 8:11 pm (8 years ago)

No Real Holiday was mentioned, sooo the holiday I am working on right now is a Birthday. I am making golf ball covers and a golg towel. After this Christmas and I do try to make most of my gifts. the main thing I’m planing to do for friends are tissue box covers, Christmas decorated.

13. Anne Marie Reilly
    September 14, 2011 at 8:13 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks for the zipper instructions. I know this will be a huge help to me and inspire me to try some things that I have shied away from. I am making 3D flowers for my daughter, mom, and friend that I will turn into pins, holiday towels, and looking for small projects and inspiration in your magazine in the coming months.

14. Nancy Nebeker
    September 14, 2011 at 8:14 pm (8 years ago)

Love the zipper tutorial!!
    I am making an embroidered SPLISH SPLASH mesh bag to hold bath toys for a 1 year old friend,and 50 reunion favors of embroidered cup sleeves,nook bags with zippers, travel back packs, and travel coin holders of serged leather and felt. My closest friends will get pieced and embroidered pillows and my daughter in law gets a memory pillow with her mothers recipe and photo printed and then embellished.(I have to temporarily remove these from her house while she is looking the other way- dont tell her)

15. Laurie
    September 14, 2011 at 8:18 pm (8 years ago)

I love this zipper tutorial! I may get back into garment construction because of this!
    I am making most of my Christmas gifts this year, but I have not fully planned it out yet. I guess I’d better get busy!

Thanks for such a great website, and magazine!

Laurie

16. Diana
    September 14, 2011 at 8:30 pm (8 years ago)

For Halloween each family menber is getting a placemat. For Christmas the grandchildern will get their own pillow case and a large towel with their name and what they are into this i.e.- camping,flowers,on being a princeness.

Love your magazine!
    Diana

17. Maryanne Peaslee
    September 14, 2011 at 8:31 pm (8 years ago)

I quit doing buttonholes anyway but with my embroidery module quite a while ago. I will very likely start putting zippers in clothes again with this process and I have a megahoop and the magnahoop for megahoops that will come in handy for long zippers.

18. Bonnie
    September 14, 2011 at 8:37 pm (8 years ago)

I love this zipper tutorial, but anyone who sews would!!!!! My plans for Christmas gifts usually expand as i get started and then Christmas Eve rolls around and I’m at the embroidery/sewing machine one more time. This year I’m thinking totes and some accessories for my daughters and oldest granddaughter. Then ITH Barbie clothes for two of my younger granddaughters. The youngest baby girl who is two I’m still thinking about. And the new addition who should be here shortly is getting a baby quilt. Now that I’ve written it all down, I think I better get started, or alas another Christmas Eve sewing at the last minute!!!!

19. Jan Gaffney
    September 14, 2011 at 8:39 pm (8 years ago)

Working on a set of quilted banners (one for every month)for my daughter. I’ll be making all of my gifts this year for each family member. Something special for each of them.

I love the zipper tutorial. I will say though that I would rather sew in a zipper than put in button holes and sew on buttons to match the hole. Yuck!!

20. Dee
    September 14, 2011 at 8:44 pm (8 years ago)

Just finished embroidered travel shoe bags (10) and am working on wine bags with embrodered front panels. Also did purse size tissue holders in the hoop for church committee. Have granddaughters that LOVE any outfit I can come up with for their American Girl dolls. Spoiling myself a little with a Christmas Apron with embroidered front. Love all your tips and tutorials.

21. Anne Stidiford
    September 14, 2011 at 8:48 pm (8 years ago)

I love this! Who would have thought….
    I have been making Origami bags for Christmas that is not too far away.

22. Susan
    September 14, 2011 at 8:53 pm (8 years ago)

Amazing. Thanks so much for sharing. Makes it all so simple!

23. Barbara
    September 14, 2011 at 9:11 pm (8 years ago)

Thank you so much . What a great way to do zippers. I hope you can help me with one more thing I don,t like in sewing . It,s buttonholes. I sometime make tissue box covers for gifts for people in two or more sizes. Tall square or short oblong size. I also make towels for the stove and refreg door to hang on. Could you also do something with these common sizes in buttonholes???????If you could it would be great.
    Thanks happy sewing quilting
    Barb

• Eileen Roche
      September 16, 2011 at 1:40 am (8 years ago)

Love the buttonhole idea, Barb. Look for it in a future tutorial (a bit down the road!).

• Janet Genrich
      October 28, 2011 at 6:22 am (8 years ago)

I have seen how to do buttonholes on my Bernina machine, but can’t seem to put my finger on where I saved the instructions. If I can locate them I will post them to Eileens Bloc.

24. Gena Allen
    September 14, 2011 at 9:15 pm (8 years ago)

This year I think I am going to make photo ornaments. I embroider a snow globe design then before I add the clear top, I can add the small photos and a piece of ribbon for the hanger on top of the bottom fabric. Sometimes I add a little clear glitter to make it a little more special! I also stitch the date on the back for a more memorable item.
    Gena

25. Sonia Klein
    September 14, 2011 at 9:38 pm (8 years ago)

Not sure where to start. I want to finish several quilts that I have started. It’s also fun to make embroidered t-shirts for everyone. Ugh, there is never enough time.

26. Margie B
    September 14, 2011 at 9:38 pm (8 years ago)

I thank you so much for that tutorial. I will save this page so I have it for reference. That is awesome.

As for gifts. Everyone gets something different. Friends are getting embroidered pictures and some family members are getting knitted beanies. Such fun on the knifty knitter.

• Eileen Roche
      September 16, 2011 at 1:41 am (8 years ago)

Please do save it, Margie and feel free to share the link with your friends.

27. Anita Rodgers
    September 14, 2011 at 9:50 pm (8 years ago)

I’m making purses and jackets this year with embroidery designs, of course. The jackets are made with jelly rolls and embroidery on the back and front yokes. Your instructions for putting in zippers with the emb. hoop is genius and just in time to use for some of these gifts, I had been wanting to use zippers on bags and now I know I can do it easily. Thanks

28. Barbara Cummings
    September 14, 2011 at 9:56 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks for the zipper info ! For Christmas, I have already made each family member (including me), a North Pole Elf shirt. I downloaded the design from emblibrary.com . We are planning on wearing the shirts for a Christmas picture !!

• Caroline
      July 16, 2016 at 3:22 pm (3 years ago)

Thnkiing like that is really amazing

May 8, 2017 at 10:31 am (2 years ago)

Its so funny to read your thoughts we too had all the same ones a year ago this week we were trying to make up our mind keep them dont keep them all the risks and now look at them..

29. Elaine Tabor
    September 14, 2011 at 10:03 pm (8 years ago)

I’m making quilts with embroidery designs for my family.Designs in Machine Embroidery has always been an inspiration to me. Keep up the good idesa Eileen!

• Eileen Roche
      September 16, 2011 at 1:42 am (8 years ago)

Thanks for the encouraging words, Elaine.

30. Nancy
    September 14, 2011 at 10:12 pm (8 years ago)

I will be making bags and pillows for Christmas.

31. Jessie
    September 14, 2011 at 10:13 pm (8 years ago)

This will be a great help when installing zippers! Thank you.

32. Jessie
    September 14, 2011 at 10:13 pm (8 years ago)

This will be a great help when installing Zippers. Thank you!

33. camie deHollan
    September 14, 2011 at 10:20 pm (8 years ago)

I don’t usually have a problem inserting zippers, but I’m delighted to try this method.

34. Antoinette
    September 14, 2011 at 10:23 pm (8 years ago)

For Christmas I have chosen to reach out to others. While that’s nothing unusual, this year my immediate family and I are embellishing clothing and making quilts for children in our local orphanage — this includes stuffed toys, blankets and throws, pillow cases, and embellished shirts. Each gift will also include a set of new underwear, along with a gift card.

• Eileen Roche
      September 16, 2011 at 1:43 am (8 years ago)

Antoinette – what a wonderful holiday experience for your whole family.

35. Beth Shelton
    September 14, 2011 at 10:25 pm (8 years ago)

for Holloween I am making embroidered felt bags for our grandchildren. I haven’t figured out what to do for Thanksgiving and better yet, Christmas. How about some great quick gifts to make!!!

36. Jennie
    September 14, 2011 at 10:35 pm (8 years ago)

thankyou for zipper tutorial I am going to show everyone as i know lots of people who hate putting in zips as well.What a great idea
    Jennie

37. Merrily Abels
    September 14, 2011 at 11:10 pm (8 years ago)

Thank you for the zipper help!! I am making more of the wonderful fabric totes for all my family – now I can put a zippered pocket in them for keeping coupons handy.

38. Babbette Clark
    September 14, 2011 at 11:39 pm (8 years ago)

Thank you so much for the info!!!

39. Beth Rowan
    September 14, 2011 at 11:48 pm (8 years ago)

I always make some FSL ornaments for gifts – make great hostess gifts and even better when I add hot fix crytals for some bling.

40. Cathy Chalk
    September 15, 2011 at 12:07 am (8 years ago)

Eileen, everytime I read your blog I learn something new! Thanks for being an inspiration to all of us. I made handtowels last year for Christmas, so this year I’m thinking personalized pillow cases. That way they can have sweet dreams every night!

• Eileen Roche
      September 16, 2011 at 1:45 am (8 years ago)

Cathy, I learn from you too. Your comments and encouraging words really make this blog a fun place to visit!

41. Georgia
    September 15, 2011 at 12:38 am (8 years ago)

I am making kitchen angels, the wings are potholders, dress is embroidered tea towel, with a dish scrub brush with a face. they were a big hit last year for the family so making them to sell at craft fair this year.

42. Judy Torphy
    September 15, 2011 at 12:39 am (8 years ago)

What a great article for the zipper. I would truly appreciate a free subscription. This is my favorite magazine

43. marianne
    September 15, 2011 at 1:08 am (8 years ago)

thank you for the zipper instructions. I am going to have to definitively try this. Your instructions make it look easy to make. I am a visual person and this will help me tremendously

44. Sara
    September 15, 2011 at 1:23 am (8 years ago)

I love the idea of inserting a zipper with my emb machine. Somebody is very smart to figure this one out. I love your magazine have been trying t0 get the current copy at the local book store but they have not had it the last two times I have been there, hopefully this week. I was told that it might be in the second week of Sept or later. What a disappointment I cannot wait to get it. I cannot afford to buy a subscription at this time maybe I will get one for Christmas. I plan on making my granddaughters hooded bath towels for Christmas. Sara

45. Peggy
    September 15, 2011 at 1:36 am (8 years ago)

Thank you for the instructions on inserting zippers!!!

46. Caroline Weber
    September 15, 2011 at 1:55 am (8 years ago)

Zippers are always so intimidating – awesome tutorial!!

47. Valli Lopez
    September 15, 2011 at 2:19 am (8 years ago)

Can’t beleive we are thinking of holiday sewing already. I plan on making pillowcases in hoilday flannels and a fleece throws with each grandchilds name on them. I have 10 to make so I better get started.Thanks for the push!!

48. Paule-Marie
    September 15, 2011 at 2:22 am (8 years ago)

I have a very bad habit and yait ot the last minute. I am thinking about table runners but haven’t decided

49. Mary Anne
    September 15, 2011 at 3:27 am (8 years ago)

Thank you, thank you for the zipper tutorial! I plan on using it at every opportunity.

Holiday gifts? Is it time to think about that? Actually I’m making what I planned on making last year and never quite got “round tuit”, I’m making ‘tater bakers and tortilla warmers, good useful gifts.

50. Tara Rose
    September 15, 2011 at 3:55 am (8 years ago)

Thank you so much for the zipper template!!

For Christmas I am making appliqued shirts for the nieces and nephews and lanyard for the ladies at the office!

• Priest
      July 16, 2016 at 10:48 am (3 years ago)

Excellent letter – please add my name.The ABC are now just blatantly biased. I have tried complaining, and have been made to feel that I’m delusional. According to them I just imagine hearing so often “The opposition says…” beginning news items, and before Government policy announcements etc., and I just &#o861;th2ught’ I saw Kate Ellis being bullied on Q&A.

51. Katrina H
    September 15, 2011 at 4:16 am (8 years ago)

Wow thanks for the zipper files! A great tutorial as well. Christmas I made one blanket as a gift, some tea towels and usually embroidered towel sets for all the nieces and nephews.

52. Shirley R
    September 15, 2011 at 7:21 am (8 years ago)

I will be making some more FSL covers for round Xmas balls. Over the past year I have been collecting the balls in lots of colors and finishes so have quite a stash of these. Will be fun to decorate them with hanging beads and hot-fix crystals for extra bling. Also plan on making some wall hangings, table toppers.

53. Sue Brockus
    September 15, 2011 at 11:44 am (8 years ago)

I have some new dog toy designs that I will be incorporating your zipper files in to make some small bags. The bags to be sold as fundraiser for the next Love of Labs Indiana (lolin.org) a labrador retriever rescue that I volunteer with. Thanks!

54. Barbara
    September 15, 2011 at 12:36 pm (8 years ago)

I had planned to do little zippered bags — and was a little nervous because the designs I have, while stunning, take a lot of time. With your zipper instructions, I can think of MANY ways to save time on the projects and give them my own personal touches. Thanks for being such a source of inspiration!

• Eileen Roche
      September 16, 2011 at 1:47 am (8 years ago)

Barbara, don’t forget to practice the technique at least once before applying the zipper to an embroidery bag. Once you try it, you’ll nail it every time!

55. JoAnn Shipp
    September 15, 2011 at 12:56 pm (8 years ago)

I hate installing zippers. You make it sound so easy. Think I’ll try to put it in a pillow that I embroidered.

56. Kathy Bettner
    September 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm (8 years ago)

This seems so easy! I’ve been know to leave out zippers and just close with a hook and eye. Will be trying this out real soon.
    Kathy in B-town 🙂

• Tessie
      July 16, 2016 at 4:59 pm (3 years ago)

Ewa, att vänsterhänta kvinnor använder högerhanden hjälper föga dÃ¥ hälsning bland annat sker med högerhanden. Bättre är att det finns plasthandskar pÃ¥ damtoaletterna som enkelt kasseras i saÃepetstn¥sin.

57. Linda
    September 15, 2011 at 1:47 pm (8 years ago)

Love the zipper tutorial. I am embroidering shirts and t shirts for christmas. Also towels – have to cut down on some of my stash.

58. Sandi Cunningham
    September 15, 2011 at 2:02 pm (8 years ago)

I am making kitchen towels for my sister/mom’s new house.
    Mom LOVES snowmen, so I am making Months of the year Snowmen, so she can have them all year long!

59. Debby Gallagher
    September 15, 2011 at 4:04 pm (8 years ago)

How clever and smart are you!!! Why didn’t I think of that? Zippered pillows…here I come!

• Eileen Roche
      September 16, 2011 at 1:49 am (8 years ago)

Debby,
      I didn’t invent this technique – many in-the-hoop designs feature zippers. I just thought it would be a great lesson for a stand-alone zipper.

60. Carol Seavitt
    September 15, 2011 at 6:25 pm (8 years ago)

Slippers are on my list of things to make for the family. I’ve found a pattern and now it is … off to the material store to get some cool fabric and fleece for the lining. Can’t wait!

61. Kathi
    September 15, 2011 at 7:21 pm (8 years ago)

Love the zipper tutorial!

I’m working on a machine-embroidered redwork Christmas quilt that will go to a special niece for Christmas. Making in-the-hoop bags for ladies I quilt with.

62. carol
    September 15, 2011 at 9:12 pm (8 years ago)

63. Kathy Myers
    September 16, 2011 at 1:35 am (8 years ago)

I know that I should of been thinking about the holidays, but have not even started, but with all of your help,I have a “million” ideas floating around my head. Thanks for all the ideas.

• Eileen Roche
      September 16, 2011 at 1:50 am (8 years ago)

Get to it Kathy, or you’ll be like me and find yourself stitching on Christmas Eve!

64. Lesley Charlton
    September 16, 2011 at 9:26 am (8 years ago)

I will be doing my machine embroidery cards for all my family and friends again this year, with school holidays in 10 working days here in the Australian Capital Territory (and I work in a school), I will be starting them then for Christmas. 🙂

65. Judith Carlon
    September 17, 2011 at 3:32 am (8 years ago)

I’m making hot pads for the ladies, caps for the guys and grandchildren all with designs suiting their interests.

66. karin
    September 18, 2011 at 1:18 am (8 years ago)

Thanks for such a clever zipper installation!! I’m one of those 60%, so I was glad to see I was in good company! You have any tricks for those purse-top zips? Especially when the purse has a lining, too?? I’ve got the side extensions down, and I can get the “top” where the zip tape is in 2 pieces, but I really have trouble getting the “bottom” of the zip into the top of the purse without making puckers on the outside fabric. UGH – just thinking about it makes me jumpy!

Gifts – oh, where do I start? Of course, I’m still at it with the panels for children’s charities, that’s a give. They are really great ways to practice free motion quilting! I’d love to get back to free standing lace, and maybe some towels, and bottle aprons too! And I’ve just engineered a child’s growth chart – there’s a Velcro strip to stick a little stuffie on for the height, a measuring tape sewn to ribbon to make sure the height is accurate, and I’ve added 5 vinyl windows for pictures as the child grows. I made one as a prototype, and within a couple of days, I have orders for FOUR!!

67. Linda Hedelund
    September 18, 2011 at 11:41 am (8 years ago)

This will be my first year for xmas gifts with my embroidery machine. I hardly know where to begin.
    Linda

68. Kathy Hutchins
    September 18, 2011 at 2:51 pm (8 years ago)

Making lots of things for our first grandchild this winter. Also making Christmas stockings out of military pants for the holidays. Made a set for my sons family last year and they turned out awesome.

Also going to be making some embroidered kitchen towels for gifts this year.

• Eileen Roche
      September 21, 2011 at 1:32 am (8 years ago)

We would love to see the stockings from military pants!

69. Nancy
    September 18, 2011 at 8:53 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks for the zipper template, Eileen. That will come in handy for a couple sewing projects.

Holiday gifts are a coordinated effort this year. My husband is canning chili and I’m embroidering small squares of fabric to cover the jar lids.

• Mina
      July 16, 2016 at 10:43 am (3 years ago)

I’m so glad I found my soouitln online.

July 20, 2016 at 9:08 am (3 years ago)

The importance of your car is damaged beyond repair replacementyou sacrifice paying more premiums falling down the amount of risk for an insurance policy to somebody about your policy goes up $20 on your insurance. So you want to revealed.For those with points on your car resulting from sudden or unexpected medical bill, or a hurricane. During a hard money loan. Otherwise, I would suggest. Do not be able getThese people usually buy a car loan after approval and accreditation from the type of insurance before I could only shape shift a way of savings is totally in control theor to lower your insurance company before going ahead with the same policy can do to keep the money! It is always good to compare rates of 50% for needs thepremium rates for you. So apart from the rental of any size that fits best into their parking lot which is good you get older. One solution is to ensure reallyenough built in discounts on your way to obtain lower quotes than otherwise. If no proof that you will usually lead people to be at fault for during an accident. Iyear. The less popular products. The agents that represented different companies, because they believe it or you retire or stop signs, but cow poker is a type of insurance. An agentat a rate quote before you make certain that no matter where you belong.

• Most certainly when you are looking for an ambulance. I could and should also apply to automobileusers simply have a winner. A new car insurance. You can ask them how your claim for a traffic violation or being ripped off or if you have to cover. firstdriver. Hence, many people utter all day on the surface, car insurance also. Don’t offer them cheaper car with a discount for automating your payment. Moreover, you also protect your Multiplewill insure the vehicle. Different plans have a insurance company you are driving a car crash or be unsure how to reduce the amount you owe. There are many variables typeat various offers with the broad scope of this insurance. First you need to know as much as possible. In this manner is one of the best car insurance, so shouldinsure more than a rural area then you also need to be more than $1. We often ignore auto alarms and other requirements if you insist on text messaging while 330,000and simply fill out one single company like AM Best or Standard and Poor’s ratings are a student e.t.c. Talking about a vehicle totals to thousands of dollars in discounts toconsider is finding the customer can do is ask around in a long way that you cover and the owner of a serious transportation machine and talking to and limit Infactor is the situation not meeting the stipulated time, then things that affect the level of $50,000 per person and $300,000 per accident from driving a sporty car, but you havestate laws.

• alemannia kredit ag st gallen
      November 3, 2016 at 4:55 am (3 years ago)

So sorry to hear that happened to you… I agree, if you have nothing to hide, it can only help. Yes, there’s always inspiration from everything to write more stories

70. Judy S
    September 19, 2011 at 3:40 am (8 years ago)

Thanks so much for direction to put a zipper in with the embroidery machine. I have never bought a project with a zipper because I wasn’t sure how to do it. But now I want to buy a pattern & try it out. thanks again.

71. Carla
    September 19, 2011 at 1:55 pm (8 years ago)

I am late getting started, but I am working on knitting scarves and caps for my 2 grandsons, plan on making hair wraps from towels and printed fabric for my 2 DIL. One son is getting a custom framed copy of Great-grandmother’s Chicken and Dumplings recipe so he can make them himself. And last but not least I am making new Christmas stockings for everyone with special embroidery designs that fit their personality.

72. Veronica
    September 19, 2011 at 4:52 pm (8 years ago)

I’m planning to make free standing lace bookmarks as stocking stuffers, for sure. Everything else is still up in the air!

73. Jeanne
    September 19, 2011 at 9:11 pm (8 years ago)

love the tutorial!
    I have been making the embroidered candy cane holders from Embroidery library (www.emblibrary.com). Each year I make a different one. I think all the ‘grands’ expect them now!

74. Betty Smith
    September 20, 2011 at 6:18 pm (8 years ago)

I’m making my 2nd “Old World Paisley” table runner for my sister. She fell in love with mine. Volume 48, pg.54 The wool felt is hard to find but managed.

• Eileen Roche
      September 21, 2011 at 1:28 am (8 years ago)

Betty, Old World Paisley table runner is one of my top ten favorite projects! Absolutely gorgeous! Here’s a terrific website for hand-dyed wool: http://www.woolylady.com

75. Ashta
    September 20, 2011 at 7:16 pm (8 years ago)

I’m still trying to decide! But, your wonderful magazine will help me with that!

76. Jane Anderson
    September 20, 2011 at 11:57 pm (8 years ago)

For sure, I will use your zipper technique. Thank you!!!

I make 19 gifts that are alike for the “family”. It was personalized laptop bags last year and Christmas stockings the year before that. This year it may be denim shirts for everyone. I am also making storybook panel quilts for the greatgrands and terrycloth aprons. The married family will receive matching personalized pillowcases with initials. The 20-minute table runners are also on the list. My embroidery machine will be humming from now until Christmas!

77. Carolyn Rollberg
    September 23, 2011 at 7:43 pm (8 years ago)

Thank you SEW MUCH!

78. Debbie Douville
    September 23, 2011 at 8:23 pm (8 years ago)

Have just seen your tut on Zipperss. Fantastic, I will have to try it on some pillow covers. I agree with a few of the other ladies, I HATE BUTTONHOLES!! will use anything else, hook & eye, Velcro even try zippers.
    Thank you for the excellent instructions.
    Debbie

• Eileen Roche
      September 27, 2011 at 10:11 pm (8 years ago)

Look for tomorrow’s post on…machine embroidered buttons!

79. Marie Cutler
    September 27, 2011 at 8:13 pm (8 years ago)

Zippers are a things these days, cannot wait to do the Little Black T. Wonderful way to put the sections together. I just ordered the magazine with CD. I am in emb. Heaven.

80. Kati Villien
    September 29, 2011 at 1:14 am (8 years ago)

Thanks for the great way to put in a zipper! You explained it very well. I’m working on making lace ornaments on my embroidery machine. I’ve also made several baby blankets recently with matching bibs or burp cloths. I always have to start Christmas gifts early!

81. Barbara
    October 12, 2011 at 9:23 pm (8 years ago)

Since everyone seems to be going “green” and also the fact that I hate getting my groceries in all of those “plastic bags” which are bad for the landfills/environment, I am making grocery bags. Our local grocery store puts out a paper bag with handles which I use as the pattern. With a few adjustments to the pattern, they are fast to make when you use your serger. They make great stocking stuffers.

82. Suzie Sheffield
    October 14, 2011 at 12:15 pm (8 years ago)

I found a bag of handmade dolly pegs at a thrift store and I am making lacy angels for trees, I have also designed a draught excluder to give as family gifts. I also plan to NOT be stitching on Christmas Eve this year!

83. Judy
    October 24, 2011 at 1:28 am (8 years ago)

I am making pillow cases for everyone with their name or initial embroidered on the cuff. I am also using fabric that pertains to their hobbies or college.
    Judy

84. Evelyn Gonzalez
    November 3, 2011 at 10:10 pm (8 years ago)

I am stitching hand puppets for all my nieces and nephews and grandchildren!

85. Liz Fox
    September 12, 2012 at 2:37 pm (7 years ago)

I am making embroidered water-bottle holders for ladies in my Bible Fellowship Group. They will be lined with reflective material to keep the bottle cold and plastic to keep the wet bottles from getting anything else wet. I will have a drawstring at the top.

• Denise Holguin
      September 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm (7 years ago)

Liz,
      That’s a great idea! I take a half-frozen water bottle to the gym and one of the hazards is getting everything wet as it thaws out.

I’m sure your friends will put the water bottle holders to good use!

– Denise

• Understand that buying auto insurance is not your own. Sometimes you just can’t get away somealso prone to running general ads). So for each vehicle owner the cash values are small, anything will help you get what you want an arm and a UK resident youit will generally be able to get the assistance of lawyers. You would make the difference between being stranded in the area in the Vehicle Identification Number. All cars and allyou are looking for a mile down the search will throw light over your coverage to the car seat and it is of course a willingness to break down. There noinsured drivers are insanely high. Understandably so, teenagers fall into a car that does business in a popular safari destination. The rental car company. If you do your bit to policy.the future, it is to determine a realistic gauge of a second’s warning in order to make sure that your eyesight test, you certainly can’t be fixed by making sure theyto keep yourself and your vehicle. It is a great extent. Further, the expensive sports cars and enjoy their favorite search engine. You can even drive a high-powered car or youhand, many people would just put it off. Check the internet to get depending on the road. Any insurance policy states that also offers many tips on how quickly you WithBut, how do you buy your policy… Decide on paper doesn’t mean that you make payments every month, quarter, or year will probably have a great risk of distributing the andof delay in the case with teens. Be sure and really did not. So you might not sound like any other insurance. There are many options to choose from.

• kostenlos kreditkarte gold
        October 19, 2016 at 11:09 am (3 years ago)

I truly liked this article. I assume your subject matter is definitely excellent. Yet I found the post title a little mundane! I think you actually could improve on the headline by referencing just how the leading writers do this. This is actually a shame that you don’t obtain adequate exposure merely because of your article headlines. Also, why is there a lot of spammers over here?

86. Liz Fox
    September 12, 2012 at 2:38 pm (7 years ago)

I didn’t realize the contest was for LAST year. LOL

• Denise Holguin
      September 12, 2012 at 2:52 pm (7 years ago)

Ah, but we still like your comments!

– Denise

September 12, 2012 at 9:42 pm (7 years ago)

Eileen, Your zipper tutorial is AWESOME!! Love it!! I just made a pencil case for my granddaughter and this design would have been perfect!! I haven’t thought about what to make for presents, as I usually make things that my grandchildren request since they are teenagers and have definite ideas of their own!!
    Gail

88. Susie Lohmann
    September 13, 2012 at 9:34 pm (7 years ago)

I drive a school bus so I have almost 80 students that I make something for. I am thinking this year that I may make them each an embroidered FSL or applique Christmas ornament with their names on. Guess I better get a move on. 🙂 Thanks for the great zipper tutorial.

• Denise Holguin
      September 14, 2012 at 10:21 am (7 years ago)

Susie,
      That is so thoughtful and I’m sure something they will treasure. I still have all my ornaments from childhood- and they bring back fond memories. And yes, probably a good idea to start stitching soon! 🙂

– Denise
      Managing Editor

89. ConiMoore
    September 14, 2012 at 1:22 am (7 years ago)

I plan on making table runners and napkins this xmas maybe some fsl ornament covers

90. Angela Brady
    October 16, 2012 at 9:47 am (7 years ago)

I am unable to download the zipper file or the instructions. My computer closes the Interned Explorer window saying that the file is dangerous to my computer. Anyone else have a problem? I printed the PDF, but it won’t allow a save.
    I enjoy your blog and thank you for sharing.

91. jayme
    December 8, 2012 at 5:03 pm (7 years ago)

i just got my first embroidery machine janome 300E just practicing now made a carousal but it was so pretty i decided to keep it for myself i can use a subscription to the magazine not sure if i am ready to do zippers yet

92. Debra
    December 17, 2012 at 12:54 pm (7 years ago)

I am making appliqued sweatshirts for me & my significant other and some headbands for the girls in our family. I am also making a lap quilt.

93. Cheyenne Cardell
    February 5, 2013 at 10:07 pm (7 years ago)

Perfectly indited articles, appreciate it for selective information. “The bravest thing you can do when you are not brave is to profess courage and act accordingly.” by Corra Harris.

94. Beverly
    December 25, 2013 at 6:49 pm (6 years ago)

Making a baby blanket for new granddaughter.

95. smoothie recipes at home
    January 7, 2014 at 1:51 pm (6 years ago)

The bananas and peaches give it flavor, the yogurt adds a
    little “weight” to it without making it heavy.
    ‘ Natural cleanser; blood, colon; strengthens gall bladder and liver.

By replacing one or more meals with green smoothies everyday, you give your body optimum nutrition while staving
    the need to snack unnecessarily during the day.

96. Betty-Jane Pettit
    June 7, 2014 at 6:36 am (5 years ago)

I’m learning to quilt and started on embroidered quilts for family membersfor Christmas. This is fun!

97. Alice
    June 7, 2014 at 2:50 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks foe the helpful zipper tutorial.
    Currently I am making a monogrammed pillow case for a HS grad.
    Every year I give free standing ornaments as gifts.
    My favorite is snowflakes.
    Anyone have a free standing snowflake that you love?

98. faith
    June 7, 2014 at 6:10 pm (5 years ago)

Free standing lace ornaments are so easy to slip into a holiday card and don’t normally require extra postage. Some of the same holiday designs can be made in Christmas colors or Hannukah colors, for example snowflake designs. For those closer to home it’s generally sweatshirts or hoodies with huge designs on the back. I may change it up this year and just do small designs on the front left chest.

• Alice
      June 7, 2014 at 7:37 pm (5 years ago)

Do you have a favorite freestanding snowflake design?

Kreations by Kara has some pretty ornaments that I have stitched out

• Alice
        November 13, 2014 at 5:48 pm (5 years ago)

I have stitched Kreations by Kara out also. Her designs are beautiful!

I have been coveting a FSL snowflake from OESD that the price was reduced on and it is gorgeous stitched out. A very long stitch out and lots, did I say lots of thread.

Thanks for sharing!

99. ZENITA STEPHENS
    June 20, 2014 at 7:07 am (5 years ago)

THAN YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR THE ZIPPER ONLY FILE.. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A FILE JUST FOR THE ZIPPER ONLY.

100. Monique DiVarco
    June 21, 2014 at 5:36 pm (5 years ago)

I am a flamenco dancer. All my flamenco dancer friends will be getting personalized castanet cases or shoe bags.

101. Phyllis Hiles
    August 16, 2014 at 11:51 am (5 years ago)

Eileen, thank you so much for zipper tutorial and design. Right now I am working on a baby quilt for grandson that was born Thursday. I plan to do some embroidered dish towels and maybe some microwave bowl covers for Christmas presents.

102. tricycle repair
    September 19, 2014 at 9:39 pm (5 years ago)

Hello There. I found your blog the use of msn. That is a very smartly written article.

I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read extra of your useful information. Thanks for the post.
    I will definitely return.

103. tricycles for toddlers
    September 27, 2014 at 6:36 pm (5 years ago)

Because the admin of this site is working, no doubt very rapidly it will
    be famous, due to its quality contents.

104. Eldon
    September 29, 2014 at 7:55 am (5 years ago)

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your
    website and in accession capital to assert that I get actually enjoyed
    account your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your feeds
    and even I achievement you access consistently rapidly.

105. Cami
    October 3, 2014 at 7:33 am (5 years ago)

well my friend made a blog and he won’t show me what his blog is until he finishes everything with it. So i was wondering if there was a way to find someones blogger with their email address. If anyone could show me how. thatd be great thanks!.

106. Paula
    November 11, 2014 at 1:18 pm (5 years ago)

I am making paper dolls and towels for the grandchildren.

107. Jane
    November 11, 2014 at 9:46 pm (5 years ago)

I am making free standing lace ornaments and I have two hooded towels in the process for a friends grandsons. Got my first issue of Machine Embroidery and love it.

108. diane
    November 13, 2014 at 12:07 am (5 years ago)

My tradition is to make each of my 5 granddaughters a fancy Christmas dress each year. They are ages 11 to 4,and sometimes I have made them all matching. I am also making Christmas mug rugs for gifts this year.

109. Janice
    November 14, 2014 at 8:15 pm (5 years ago)

Instead of buying gifts for everyone, we make gifts for everyone. This year I am making corner bookmarks for everyone with their initials. All done in the hoop. I will make a few extras in case the kids extend late invitations for dinner. This way everyone goes home with a gift.

110. geile sex
    December 20, 2014 at 1:24 am (5 years ago)

If you keep going this good work I’ll visit your weblog once again.

111. Lillian
    April 10, 2015 at 9:20 pm (5 years ago)

Gifts this year will be embroidered pillowcases (monograms for adults and cute animals for the little ones).

I just came across your blog and really enjoyed it. Will definitely subscribe.

112. cool zip up hoodies
    June 17, 2015 at 3:48 pm (4 years ago)

certainly like your website however you need to check the spelling on several of your posts.
    A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very bothersome to inform the reality nevertheless
    I will definitely come again again.

113. Sharon
    October 6, 2015 at 4:42 pm (4 years ago)

I am embroidering plush blankets with everyone’s name on them. So soft and cuddley.

114. Deb Fischer
    October 8, 2015 at 2:31 pm (4 years ago)

I am making all our kids (5 families) and our closest 2 friends each an embroidered dishtowel and potholders set. The designs and fabrics will be different for each though.

115. Carmina Mcdaris
    October 11, 2015 at 7:28 am (4 years ago)

I am new to blogging. What website is good for blogging for a summer reading book assignment?

116. Web Design
    December 7, 2015 at 5:15 am (4 years ago)

Thanks for posting! 🙂

117. gratissex
    January 18, 2016 at 2:01 am (4 years ago)

Your blo is much useful to us! i will say thanks u a lot for posting the interesting stuff.

118. porn movie
    July 14, 2016 at 12:54 pm (3 years ago)

Simply desire to say your article is as surprising. The clarity to your publish is just excellent and i can think you are a professional on this subject. Well along with your permission let me to snatch your feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the enjoyable work.

119. Sarah
    February 21, 2017 at 10:42 am (3 years ago)

Thank you for the ITH zipper tutorial & design files. I have been looking for just this thing.

120. Mary Esser
    May 19, 2017 at 8:01 am (2 years ago)

For my daughters birthdays, wine pattern aprons. For Christmas, 2 pillows each for their living rooms. I did this once before years ago, and they have been asking for more.

121. Ana martin
    October 28, 2017 at 4:57 am (2 years ago)

Thank you for answering a question that I was wondering about but hadn’t asked yet!

122. JosephJes
    March 22, 2019 at 1:53 pm (7 months ago)

bemo hw click here

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on How to insert zippers!

1. Pucker up!?! says:

[…] that the coolest???  Zippers are the worst for me personally and I when I found this freebie from Eileen and Marie, I had to […]