A few weeks ago, over 60% of you told me that inserting zippers is your biggest challenge. I understand how you could struggle with that task so I thought I would post this tutorial on how to use your embroidery machine to insert a zipper into two pieces of fabric. Click here to download these instructions. Then go to step 1 below to download two zipper designs, one for 7” zippers and one for 9” zippers. These designs can be lengthened to accommodate any size zipper you can fit in your hoop. Just make sure when you resize, you only increase the length of the design, not the width!
Take a look at how simple (with perfect results!) this task can be.
- Download the design and send it to your embroidery machine.
- Prepare your fabric. Cut the fabric pieces what ever width you need. Cut the length 10”. Fold ½” and press one edge. Repeat for the other piece of fabric.
- Hoop water soluble stabilizer (the cloth type, not the film). Stitch color 1. Color 1 includes the outline of the zipper tape, a center line for positioning the coil and two hash marks, top and bottom of the zipper.
- Center the zipper on the outline, placing the zipper tab above the box and hash marks. Tape the top of the zipper to the stabilizer.
- Position the zipper on the center line, matching the coil to the stitched line.
- Tape the lower edge, outside of the box.
- Place one piece of fabric along the coil, folded edge right next to the coil.
- Repeat for the other piece of fabric. Tape the fabrics to the coil. Place another piece of tape at the bottom of the design (lift the fabric to see the location of the hash marks) straddling the coil. Do this so the embroidery foot doesn’t catch the second piece of fabric as it travels around the coil.
- Stitch color 2.
- There’s your zipper! Perfectly installed and ready for a back of a pillow or small cosmetic case.
- If you want to install a zipper into a skirt or top, just cut the fabric as instructed from the pattern instructions. Seam the two pieces to the bottom of the zipper as marked on the pattern. Press the seam allowance open, extending the pressing (and fold) beyond the end of the stitching. When adding the fabric to the zipper in Step 7, just place the end of the seam at the bottom hash marks. Proceed as outlined above.
Don’t miss Eileen’s weekly blog! Subscribe now. It’s free!
Pingback: Pucker up!?! on September 14, 2011