12 Household Tools for the Machine Embroiderer

12 Household Tools for the Machine Embroiderer

1. Digital Camera– best design tool in the house (besides pencil and paper). I use a digital camera to record my progress when designing an embroidery layout, auditioning fabrics or setting blocks in a quilt. Any task that takes several attempts to get a certain look can be confirmed by documenting the different versions. I usually step away from the task and return to view the images after a brief hiatus. This break in time and space gives me a fresh eye to select the winning design.Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog
  2. Pet brush– for picking up embroidery threads. Look for it in the pet aisle in your local discount store.Eileen's Machine Embroidery BlogEileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

3. Skewer, chopstick or unsharpened pencil– for protecting fingers under the needle.Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog
  4. ¼” chisel– found in hardware stores, the ¼” chisel provides the exact opening needed to insert the prongs of magnetic snaps or purse feet into fabric/interfacing/lining sandwiches.Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog
  5. Plastic zip lock bags– These handy storage bags come in a variety of sizes. I use three sizes: snack size for buttons and beads; quart size for spools of threads and appliqué pieces; and jumbo for keeping all the pieces of a project in one place. Just remember to close the zip lock top!Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog
  6. Wooden dowel– Achieve crisp seams by centering a sewn seam over a wooden dowel and pressing.Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog
  7. Glad Press ‘n Seal– When I have to store a project in progress, I place a sheet of Press ‘n Seal over the fabric/appliqué/ buttons/beads to keep everything in place. A quick smooth by hand and everything stays put – even if I roll it up into a tube for quick storage.Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog
  8. Binder clips– for holding hooped garments out of the needle area.Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog
  9. Pony tail holders– come in a vast array of colors and sizes. Walk down the hair accessories aisle in your local drugstore and see how many you’ll have to choose from. Use the pony tail holders in lieu of a length of narrow elastic. They make a quick closure over a button and add a bit of color whenever you need a mini bungee cord.Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog
  10. Zip ties– add shape to the top of a purse. Zip ties can be found in the electric supply aisle of a home improvement center. They are also known as cable ties.
    Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Zip tie is connected for photography purposes

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

11. Painter’s Tape– a wonderful visual reference when hooping long strips of fabric. Place the tape on the fabric strip and align the edge of the tape with the edge of the hoop. As you rehoop and continue to align with the tape, it will keep the fabric square for each hooping.
    Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog
  12. Ironing board– besides the obvious use of a pressing surface, an ironing board doubles as a hooping aid. Place your embroidery hoop on the narrow end and slip the shirt over the board. This ‘dressing the board’ method helps you square the shirt over the outer hoop without getting the back of the shirt caught in the hoop. Just slip the inner ring in place and then nest the shirt around the hoop before attaching to the embroidery machine.Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

This week’s assignment:

What type of flooring do you have in your sewing room? Tile, wood, carpet, linoleum, stained concrete or perhaps some other material? Answer the question for a chance to win a $25 shopping spree to the Designs in Machine Embroidery website.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

The winner of last week’s assignment answered the question:

I need your help! Tell me what color combination of the images shown is your favorite. Keep in mind that you’re not looking at actual fabric swatches, these are just thumbnails of colors. Your answers will help me when I’m shopping for fabrics and will place your name in a random drawing for a $25.00 gift certificate to Designs website. I can’t wait to see what you choose.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

The winner is… Barbara Rowlan Wong

“Group A really attracts me.  Perhaps because those are the colors I’ve been using a lot lately.   A happy combination that really pops!”  ~barbara

Congratulation Barbara!

Thank you everyone for your input.  This was really fun!

Content in this feed is © copyright 2012 by Eileen Roche and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website.

201 Comments on 12 Household Tools for the Machine Embroiderer

1. Gerry Barrett
    April 11, 2012 at 4:20 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is thread snips, I think!! Oh..you mean the lower layer!! It’s carpet. May not be too smart, but warm in the winter!

2. Susan Weber
    April 11, 2012 at 4:20 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is 12 inch square ceramic tiles. It is so easy to sweep or vacuum and to mop up. It is a white color so it is easy to see things when they are dropped!

• Donna Collier
      April 13, 2012 at 10:31 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is carpet, which I don’t like, but can’t change it at the moment. I have been thinking of laying a flat sheet under my chair and sewing area, and when I’m cleaning up I can roll the sheet up and take outside and shake it. You should have seen the birds gathering bits of string and yarn and taking it to build their nest.

• Grace
      May 10, 2012 at 9:42 am (3 years ago)

Like pins when barefoot!!

3. Sallie Nold
    April 11, 2012 at 4:23 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room has a plush carpet. I am amazed I have never stepped on a stray needle. I strive to keep my sewing floor free from clutter unlike other rooms in my house.

4. Sandy
    April 11, 2012 at 4:28 pm (3 years ago)

I have a very light laminate on the floor. It shows everything on the floor. Even the dust bunnies…LOL. Easy to clean and move furniture around on, and no pins to stick me.

5. Joy Corsaw
    April 11, 2012 at 4:30 pm (3 years ago)

My ideal sewing room would have hardwood floor. But my actual sewing room (aka dining room) has plush carpet from 1975.

• Clem
      April 11, 2012 at 6:18 pm (3 years ago)

Me too Joy. Mine is 1974 era dining room and yes, plush carpet… What were they thinking? I sew on my dining room table but my “stuff” is in a room I call my sewing room. It houses my fabric, thread,scissors, patterns, etc. etc. I strive to keep pins either in the fabric or in their container. Not in someone’s feet..(mine)

6. Keri Tieman
    April 11, 2012 at 4:33 pm (3 years ago)

I have a wood laminate. Great for clean up!

7. Leslie
    April 11, 2012 at 4:40 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room has hardwood floors. Great for easy cleanup. I use small rugs for color.

8. Jill Turner
    April 11, 2012 at 4:43 pm (3 years ago)

Thank You for the Helpful tips for using 12 household products in the sewing room. Some I have in mine but not all. I ‘ll have to change that.

I have hardwood floors in my sewing room. Easy to sweep up threads and bits of stabilizer.

9. Susan J
    April 11, 2012 at 4:52 pm (3 years ago)

Great ideas for using household items to improve embroidery. Never thought of some of them…Thanks!

My studio floor is carpet…not my choice, but there when we bought the house. It’s livable, but my ideal would be a nice wood laminate: easy to care for and easy to clean.

10. Rita Wahl
    April 11, 2012 at 4:54 pm (3 years ago)

My flooring is plush carpet – but if I could do it over it would be wood! Then I would not have to step on pins caught pointy-side up!! I love your ideas for household items to use for embroidery too!

11. Whitney H
    April 11, 2012 at 4:55 pm (3 years ago)

I loved that post! What great and clever ideas!

My sewing room floor is hardwood.

12. Sharon Wizner
    April 11, 2012 at 5:01 pm (3 years ago)

My sewingroom floor started out as carpet. I found it to hard to find dropped things on , such as pins and threads. we installed an unexpensive laminate and I love it. Easy to sweep and keep clean.

13. Helen Dyckson
    April 11, 2012 at 5:06 pm (3 years ago)

My floor has beige carpeting. It is a little difficult if a pin or needle falls on it, ut picking up threads isn’t much of a problem at all.

14. Mary
    April 11, 2012 at 5:09 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room upstairs is carpet because it was a bedroom before a sewing room. The one in the basement was cement floor. (13 years plus of sewing down there). The ’empty nest’ was one of the reasons for the move upstairs.

15. Carolyn H
    April 11, 2012 at 5:11 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is wood laminate. So easy to clean!

16. Lora Chaney
    April 11, 2012 at 5:11 pm (3 years ago)

It is carpet with a colorful detail of short and long threads from various projects in progress!!!

17. LeAnne L
    April 11, 2012 at 5:15 pm (3 years ago)

Really great ideas. Some I already know about; others I will definitely start using. I have a dark carpet in my sewing room. Pins and needles show right up. Of course, it shows every little bit of light/medium colored thread too.

18. Donna
    April 11, 2012 at 5:40 pm (3 years ago)

Carpet, mixed colors so I don’t see all the threads on it!

19. Laurie
    April 11, 2012 at 5:42 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is deep red linoleum. It is easy to keep clean, but horribly slippery when wet! To clean up, I have to make sure I back myself out of the room so I won’t slip and fall……ask me how I know!!
    I love finding uses in the sewing room with household products, this article is great, thanks for sharing!

20. Brenda McCullers
    April 11, 2012 at 6:03 pm (3 years ago)

Great suggestions for household items! I have wood laminate for my sewing room floor. Easy clean up and my chair rolls easily.

21. Carol Jenks
    April 11, 2012 at 6:05 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is a beautiful gray carpet. Of course, with the thread snips, it is usually gorgeous variegated color.

22. Dee
    April 11, 2012 at 6:08 pm (3 years ago)

Have carpet and hope someday to put in hard surface. Love your tips. Have been using new-clean-never-been-used toilet cleaner brush to pick up threads before vacuuming and then using seam ripper to cut off threads around vacuum roller. Love the idea for dowels for pressing!

23. Kathy
    April 11, 2012 at 6:21 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is unusual – when we move into this home, the room was used as an exercise room. So it has a rubber mat-type floor – BLACK. It is very comfortable to stand on, and the black does show up every piece of string, thread, etc. so easy to vacuum up. I wanted a wood floor, but am now used to this rubbery floor so will keep it.

24. Charlotte Brown
    April 11, 2012 at 6:23 pm (3 years ago)

Love your 12 household items for use in the sewing room. I have oak toned wood laminate as it matches my horn quilting table. I love it. It is so easy to clean and see pins. It makes for easy redo of my room too.

25. Clem
    April 11, 2012 at 6:28 pm (3 years ago)

I am like a previous post, Joy, and have a carpeted dining room that I use for my sewing room. I also use a heavy duty magnet on a string and carefully go over the area so feet (mine) do not get punctured.

Another household item I have for my sewing needs is a small hammer and needle nose pliers. I use the small hammer to “flatten” some of the bulkier seams such as denim, upholstery fabric, etc. It is good having a small hammer, the smallest you can find in a hardware store, (yes they do come in different sizes) and I know it does not have anything on it… grease, dirt, paint.. etc. The needle nose pliers are a good thing for snaps, pulling broken needles out, pulling needles out of difficult hand stitching items. They have a good hand feel and they can pull things that my fingers cannot. Again, I know they are not greasy, dirty, smelly… etc..

26. Nancy
    April 11, 2012 at 6:36 pm (3 years ago)

my sewing room floor is the original floor in my Civil War era house, plus a few thread snips and a lot of cat hair 9 one of my cats loves to spend time in my sewing room with me)

27. Carol Seavitt
    April 11, 2012 at 6:39 pm (3 years ago)

Great tips for us Eileen (thank you). Beige, boring carpet in the sewing room — but at least the material is colorful:)

28. Lori W
    April 11, 2012 at 7:08 pm (3 years ago)

I have hardwood flooring in my sewing room. It is an easy vacuum job for thread and dog hair!

29. Rita Guzzard
    April 11, 2012 at 7:10 pm (3 years ago)

Great tips, Eileen… I especially like the ponytail bands. I’ll be using that tip on my next purse project. My floor is carpet. The wheels on my sewing chairs get stuck on a regular basis, and there is always the danger of fallen pins. I thought I would rather have a laminate, but after reading about the rubber exercise floor, I think I’d rather have that. I spend a lot of time standing, and that cushy surface sounds great!

30. Patricia Scarberry
    April 11, 2012 at 7:28 pm (3 years ago)

Laminate. I use to have carpet and feared a stray pin would get someone someday. I always vowed I would never have carpet again, if that chance ever arose. Now I have laminate. Easy to clean and no more worries of stray pins.

31. Kathy
    April 11, 2012 at 7:30 pm (3 years ago)

Wow, great tips. Some I never thought of and can’t wait to try. My sewing room is carpet as it it a bedroom in disguise.

32. Paula Roney
    April 11, 2012 at 8:06 pm (3 years ago)

What a great article about household items in the sewing room. Necessity really is the mother of invention! My sewing room has a tile floor. It is cold in the winter, but easy to clean.

33. Terri
    April 11, 2012 at 8:07 pm (3 years ago)

When we built our new home the design came with a sewing/craft room. I designed the room with a laminate floor. Makes it easy to sweep and track those wayward pins and needles.

I am one of the unfortunates that used to sew in my living room and many years ago I picked up a stray needle in my foot which is where it still is today! It happened so fast I never really new what happen until years later when it became inflamed… Removal sadly at this time would cause far more damage to my foot.

Now if I can be diligent and keep my fingers away from my machine embroidery needles I will avoid a needless visit to the ER. But THAT is yet another story. LOL!

34. carolyn french
    April 11, 2012 at 8:15 pm (3 years ago)

Carpet, but if I had my choice I would paint with a large quilting medallion in the center.

35. Wanda Keller
    April 11, 2012 at 8:23 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is wood laminate. Sew easy to clean.

36. Vonee
    April 11, 2012 at 8:41 pm (3 years ago)

We are building our retirement home on the lake. I will be blessed with the most wonderful studio ever. Upstairs over looking the lake. My floor will be wood laminate.

37. LC
    April 11, 2012 at 8:43 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing flooring is several. I don’t have a sewing room, so I work on the kitchen table, the desk in the office, anywhere and everywhere.

38. joanne tyndall
    April 11, 2012 at 8:54 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room is carpeted but I would love hard wood. The clean up would be so easy.

39. Beth R
    April 11, 2012 at 8:58 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is carpet – simply because that’s what was there when I took over the room for sewing!

40. Anne Marie Reilly
    April 11, 2012 at 9:28 pm (3 years ago)

My room has a tight woven berber carpeting similar to what is used in offices. When I drop a pin it is very easy to see because it does not sink into the carpet. Sometimes it even lands upright. Stray threads are easy to vacuum up or get up with a lint roller.

41. Jo of So TX
    April 11, 2012 at 9:28 pm (3 years ago)

Carpet, I like the feel under my bare feet, not so much the numerous threads. LOL

42. Phyllis Sanders
    April 11, 2012 at 9:31 pm (3 years ago)

my sewing room floor is laminate and I love how easy it is to keep clean. Started as a pool room at first. It is 20X20. with my computer also

43. Kathy
    April 11, 2012 at 9:37 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room/laundry room has linoleum. Clean up is easy and I usually hear a pin when it falls.

Loved the 12 household hints. I am sew grateful to read the one about dressing the board when hooping a t-shirt. I struggle with that and this will certainly ease my frustrations. Thank you!!!

44. lydia.stevenson@me.com
    April 11, 2012 at 9:39 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room is in the basement. I’m lucky to have a large, carpeted room. The pool table is also a great layout area!

45. Desiree Kumpf
    April 11, 2012 at 9:40 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room is carpet. I don’t have any complaints and can’t see all the thread snips that missed the waste can! I’ve never had any other kind of floor in a sewing room so don’t know if I’d like a hard floor better.
    I love the zip tie idea for purses! I am going to use it on the purse I have in progress and will have to remember it for future ones.

April 11, 2012 at 9:48 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is carpeted. Use most of the items that you mentioned, but you introduced me to a few new ones!
    Gail

47. Elaine
    April 11, 2012 at 9:49 pm (3 years ago)

I have 18″ square ceramic tile in my sewing room. It is great!! Don’t have to worry about needles hiding out, doesn’t stain if I spill something, thread snips sweep right up, etc.

48. Paule-Marie
    April 11, 2012 at 10:02 pm (3 years ago)

Well, where I allegedly sew, I have carpet (not my choice – a rental house). Our own house should be done this summer (assuming no snow on Memorial Day weekend (has happened). My studio will have linoleum. Hardwood would be nice but pricey and I would probably scratch the heck out of it.

49. Kathe
    April 11, 2012 at 10:18 pm (3 years ago)

Well under the threads, snippets of fabric, possible pins, etc., is carpet along the lines of indoor-outdoor type fabric or it is so old that it has become that way (not my choice as it came with the house). Thanks.
    KatheGTN (at) aol (dot) com

50. Mary Catherine
    April 11, 2012 at 10:36 pm (3 years ago)

My floor is concrete as I sew in my finished basement.

51. Mary Anne
    April 11, 2012 at 10:43 pm (3 years ago)

I have a composite type linoleum floor in my sewing area. It’s light so things are visible and the best part is every so often I can empty everything out and mop the whole thing down, helps alot with lint and wandering pins are easy to find. Thank you so much for your blog, it’s a real learning experience!

52. Vickie
    April 11, 2012 at 10:53 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room flooring is hardwood with a nice size rug under the machines. The combination is awesome. The hardwood areas are very easy to keep clean and my chair wheels around between the three machines easily. The carpeting catches most of my purposely-dropped threads, keeps my feet warmer in the cold weather (I sew barefoot), holds the foot pedals in place and act as sound deadener, more noticable when I’m doing a lot of embroidering. The rug is a low pile so it vaccuums up easily with a small 1 gallon tank I keep stowed in the corner. I’m happy !!

53. Kathy
    April 11, 2012 at 11:27 pm (3 years ago)

My floor is carpeted unforunately. If I would of planned properly when we built our house I would of opted for something different.
    Thanks for the great tips!

54. Mercedes
    April 11, 2012 at 11:41 pm (3 years ago)

My floor is carpet. I have a handy vac and a cat that love the threads that end up on the floor!

55. Cathy
    April 11, 2012 at 11:42 pm (3 years ago)

We are going to be building a new home, and I have been thinking about garage flooring because it is durable, easy cleanup, but mostly because of the anti stress qualities for standing. My machines should not damage the floor. I stood on one in a new home and it was nice.

56. Sharon Aiken
    April 11, 2012 at 11:55 pm (3 years ago)

I have wood laminate. It is so easy to clean.

57. Judy G
    April 11, 2012 at 11:59 pm (3 years ago)

What I have is carpet. What I want is wood laminate as it would be much easier to clean.

58. Jean
    April 12, 2012 at 12:40 am (3 years ago)

Thank you for the great tips! I recently replaced the carept in my sewing room with wood laminate and it works great!

59. Linda S
    April 12, 2012 at 1:06 am (3 years ago)

My room has carpet but lino or tile would be much better!

60. jeanne
    April 12, 2012 at 1:22 am (3 years ago)

My floor is carpet. I use a magnet on end of handle (found at hardware store) to pick up pins and needles. works great. I actually prefer carpet to hardwood floors. On hardwood floors you see more dirt, dust etc. I am lucky, lucky, very lucky – my husband does most of the housework. 2nd time around — I picked a jewel.

61. Martine
    April 12, 2012 at 1:32 am (3 years ago)

My floor is linoleum. It’s easy to clean but needs to be replaced, preferably with laminate or wood – but the thought of having to clear out the room completely makes me procrastinate.

62. Pamela Beeth
    April 12, 2012 at 1:58 am (3 years ago)

I changed from carpet to wood laminate as soon as I had the money. I love the laminate.

63. Suzanne Cholet Hughes
    April 12, 2012 at 2:21 am (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor has traditional carpeting – very comfy when I’m walking from embroidery machine to embroidery machine or hooping fabric. Also, can’t see the dust bunnies. My hobby stuff can also be found in 6 other rooms in this house – both master bedrooms (under the beds), one closet (in master bedroom 1. The laundry room and the closet where the file cabinets are tiled. THEN, there’s the garage (cement) where my DH installed shelving that hangs from the ceiling that holds bags of fabric. OOps – forgot the hall closet which has a tiled floor. If I could have them all the same it would be carpeting.

64. Ann
    April 12, 2012 at 2:59 am (3 years ago)

My floor is real hard wood oak floors with area rugs on top of them.Warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
    Great article!! Thanks.

65. Linda Coleman
    April 12, 2012 at 3:20 am (3 years ago)

the floor in my sewing room (which is the attic) is floor boards which my husband and I sanded down and varnished.

66. Kathy Schmidt
    April 12, 2012 at 5:01 am (3 years ago)

My current sewing room is carpet, but my soon to be new sewing room (our old living room & over 3x bigger), will be the new laminate flooring I am going put down as soon as the new living room is ready & the old one emptied out to be made into my new sewing shop, can’t wait & yes I am very spoilt by a wonderful hubby

67. L Freeman
    April 12, 2012 at 5:32 am (3 years ago)

I just had my husband rip out the old wall-to-wall and lay down a beautiful oak hardwood floor. Pin kept getting hidden and I’d step on them in my bare feet.

PS. I also had hubby paint the walls a soothing blue and he refinished the wood trim. It looks great.

68. Pat
    April 12, 2012 at 6:00 am (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is PERGO PERGO PERGO. Such a great ‘floating’ floor and wonderful to clean. Thank you sew much for these tips, they are great. As for my favorite color choices out of your selections, I prefer group A.

April 12, 2012 at 6:16 am (3 years ago)

I have wood laminate that I love because it is easy to keep clean of threads and I don’t lose pins or small items as happens in carpet. Wouldn’t have anything else!

70. Doreen
    April 12, 2012 at 6:22 am (3 years ago)

I took over a bedroom as my sewing room, so it had carpet – YUCK!!! After 2 years of trying to keep it clean, we installed wood laminate flooring – absolutely the best!

71. soph
    April 12, 2012 at 6:45 am (3 years ago)

Hi, Eileen,
    My sewing room is a work in progress. The floor is OSB (strand board)–the underlayment for a FUTURE nice, smooth, easy to clean flooring. I am soooo pleased to have a space where I can go and create — no longer needing to pick up everything from the dining room table to feed my family.!

72. Rachel D
    April 12, 2012 at 7:05 am (3 years ago)

I have linoleum in my sewing room. Most people use this space as their breakfast room but not me sewing comes before eating lol. Its also so easy to clean up my mess just the flick of the broom & all done.

73. Nell Summerlin
    April 12, 2012 at 7:13 am (3 years ago)

My sewing room was my son’s bedroom and it has plush carpet. I dare not go in there barefooted! My house is 150 years old and under that carpet is heart pine flooring. I hope to remove the carpet, refinish the wood flooring and install cabinets. Isn’t that a wonderful dream!!!

74. Cindy Amend
    April 12, 2012 at 7:26 am (3 years ago)

My sewing room has carpet unfortunately. I would love to install ceramic or porcelain tile. Or even a very pretty laminate. I do have a magnet on a very long wand so when I drop pins, I can pick them up easily if I haven’t stepped on them first at which point I just pull them out of my feet.

75. Sheri Lesh
    April 12, 2012 at 7:29 am (3 years ago)

I have tile under my machine, but carpet under my cutting table….I share our family room space with my quilt studio. I strive to keep the space fairly clean and picked up….I haven’t had any problems with pins. :)

76. JoAnn Shipp
    April 12, 2012 at 7:38 am (3 years ago)

I have hardwood in my sewing room. Love the ease of clean up!

77. Dee
    April 12, 2012 at 7:56 am (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is a linoleum that looks like light gray rocks. I wanted that when we moved into this house as I had carpet before and did not like it at all for a sewing room. Having this flooring is great – just sweep and go.

78. Arlis Mulder
    April 12, 2012 at 8:21 am (3 years ago)

I have a wooden floor in my sewing room.My sewing room was my sons bedroom. Some day I hope to have it designed with cabinets to store my fabric, new lighting, and a great work space.

79. Lillian Moser
    April 12, 2012 at 8:22 am (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is a sculptured berber as it doubles as an office for my husband when he’s working from home. Haven’t had too much trouble with threads and such. Vacuum cleaner works well!

80. Patty Happel
    April 12, 2012 at 8:26 am (3 years ago)

very old beige carpet that needs replaced, but not in the budget right now

81. Diana Casparian
    April 12, 2012 at 8:28 am (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is tile, but I have a center rug so I can easily slide around on my chair without rolling myself out of the room, LOL.

82. Cathy Chalk
    April 12, 2012 at 9:01 am (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is laminate. I love the tips you have provided. I now love going to Home Depot with my husband to look for hidden treasures among the “manly” tools. Soome of my best finds have been from his toolbox!

83. violetone
    April 12, 2012 at 9:10 am (3 years ago)

I have a hardwood floor with a small carpet over it.

84. Regina Wigger
    April 12, 2012 at 9:32 am (3 years ago)

The floor in my sewing room is Berber Carpeting. I use color top pins so when they fall, they are easy to find and they don’t slide. Besides, my sewing room is in the basement and it keeps my feet from freezing since I am down there until the wee hours of the morning most of the time.

85. Tricia Kemp
    April 12, 2012 at 9:50 am (3 years ago)

I have plush carpeting, but would love to have hard wood.
    I really appreciate the list of items to help with embroidery!

86. Patty Seevers
    April 12, 2012 at 10:28 am (3 years ago)

my sewing room floor is wood but loved the post about hers being thread because sometimes mine is that also

87. Jan Stegen
    April 12, 2012 at 10:29 am (3 years ago)

Right now I have carpet. I did have tile flooring for a while but I have a slab home and found the floor to cold in the winter.

88. Lynn zukowski
    April 12, 2012 at 10:33 am (3 years ago)

I have rose colored carpet,circa1990. I use a large hard plastic chair protector under my sewing chair so that the wheels can move easily. You can often find me on my hands and knees using my fingers to “colm” up all the stray threads before vacuuming. But now that you’ve shared the tip about using a pet brush-the tips of my dried out fingers will thank you!

• Donna
      April 13, 2012 at 10:37 pm (3 years ago)

I also use an office rug protector under my sewing chair. That inables me to slide easly on the carpet in my sewing room( former bedroom)

89. Janet K
    April 12, 2012 at 10:34 am (3 years ago)

My floor is a very short napped carpet which I really prefer over other materials. Pins are easy to spot also!!

90. Marilyn
    April 12, 2012 at 10:42 am (3 years ago)

Like many others, I have berber carpet because it is what came with the house when we bought it. We told the realtor I needed a sewing room. After he finally understood that that didn’t mean a cubbyhole under a staircase (really?) I ended up with the former workout room, with mirrors on one wall and actual windows to see outside. Carpet is not ideal, but as someone else mentioned, it is warmer in our cold winters. I thought I’d prefer wood but after reading other comments, I realize that dust and clippings don’t show much.

91. Colleen Bell
    April 12, 2012 at 10:50 am (3 years ago)

Thank you so much for your wonderful ideas. I had never thought of those zip ties to be used as an inexpensive boning. My next bag will be so nice and no one will know that I visited the hardware store first.

The binder clips are my extra hands and I especially love the fact that if you pinch their silver arms together you can release them, allowing even more room for your needle to sew. On big projects where I am trying to push too much material into those big clips, I have been experimenting with using a ribbon looped around the inner hoop with a button at the top, so that my clip attaches to the button as well as holding the fabric. By doing this, it keeps the clips from falling forward or slipping.

It is so good to read what others have found to be the best flooring, but I really don’t want to think of when I will be having a sewing room with new flooring because it will mean that my nest is empty. For now I am grateful to be tucked away in a corner of our bedroom with our thick tan carpeting that we tediously scour for pins so my husband doesn’t find any with his bare feet.

92. Lorel Maple
    April 12, 2012 at 10:51 am (3 years ago)

Commercial grade, dark copper carpeting covers the sewing room floor in our Wisconsin basement. The pile is only a 1/16th inch deep so it doesn’t “absorb” anything that may drop. Chairs at 3 machines roll easily, my legs are not fatigued like they are on laminate or tile and it’s warm in the winter and when the AC is on in the summer. Low pile is a cinch to vac and the color does not show traffic wear.

93. Donna
    April 12, 2012 at 10:58 am (3 years ago)

I don’t have a sewing or crafting room since we moved to a smaller home. Most often I end up sewing in the laundry room in the basement so it concrete!

94. sharon F.
    April 12, 2012 at 10:59 am (3 years ago)

My new sewing room has a wood laminate floor. I previously sewed in the carpeted dining room. Now I am in heaven! Less time cleaning up threads, more time sewing!

95. Lorel Maple
    April 12, 2012 at 10:59 am (3 years ago)

A rolling pin works as a sleeve press in a pinch. I have a hand-turned rolling pin that is missing one handle. 40 years ago, I padded it with several tight rotations of wool and hand stitched it closed. The wool absorbs the steam, just like a pressing ham.

96. Betty Nebe
    April 12, 2012 at 11:31 am (3 years ago)

Love your Tools’ ideas. A tool I can’t do without is a stocking. When I vacuum my sewing room, I put it over the hose end or even over the floor attachment. Catches any of my “lost” treasures – buttons, pins, stones, seam rippers, machine feet (don’t ask!). My floor is medium brown laminate with a nice underlayment. Quiet to walk on and easy to clean.

97. Cathie Paski
    April 12, 2012 at 11:57 am (3 years ago)

My sewing room is carpeted over concrete since I have a sewing room in my basement. It makes it warmer in the cool weather. But then when do I see my floor, usually covered with works in progress!!

98. JoAnn Ruby
    April 12, 2012 at 12:01 pm (3 years ago)

Currently my sewing room has carpet, which collects all the threads and “snippets” and is not fun to keep clean. We’re going to replace all the carpets with wood laminate floors soon, and I’m looking forward to jsut having to dust.

99. Vicki
    April 12, 2012 at 12:04 pm (3 years ago)

I have hard wood floors, and it really makes it nice to clean up.

100. Dawn Johnson
    April 12, 2012 at 12:15 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room has a small berber carpet; it is easy to clean and doesn’t show any marks. The only liquid I have in it is water;
    to drink and use in the irons.

101. Ann
    April 12, 2012 at 12:20 pm (3 years ago)

I have a low pile carpet. Not the best surface but warmer than the concrete under there.

102. Jean
    April 12, 2012 at 12:59 pm (3 years ago)

When our oldest daughter flew the nest I moved in so I had carpet. Now we are preparing our house to sell as we plan to move to an apartment in an Independent Living facility so installed new carpet and will also have carpet in the second bedroom/sewing room in the apartment. I do like carpeting as it helps muffle the sound as I sew till outlandish hours of the morning. Makes me really mad when the birds start singing and I am still sewing/embroidering! My Dear Husband noticed the need for extra storage for quilting supplies and asked if I would like wire shelves and bins in the closet!!! I use a magnet that extends and the vacuum attachment for hard floors minus the brush to catch the threads and save them from wrapping around the roller brush of the vacuum. Thanks for the tips!

103. Becky
    April 12, 2012 at 1:08 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room currently has carpet, indoor/outdoor style. I’m hoping to change it this summer to wood laminate.

104. Chris Sloss
    April 12, 2012 at 1:23 pm (3 years ago)

I love your 12 household tools and would also add a small hammer and an array of pliers, and sometimes a drill.

My sewing room floor is a pecan wood laminate – easy to clean – chair rolls easily and dark streaks in laminate hide any marks I might get on it. We put the same laminate in our office for the same reasons. This is the best floor I’ve ever had in a sewing room.

105. Gramajojo
    April 12, 2012 at 1:27 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is bamboo flooring. Very sturdy and I love it.

106. Susan Burns
    April 12, 2012 at 1:31 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floring is the original linoleum tile that came with our home 38 years ago. It still looks good, and I don’t worry about dropping things on it.

107. Barbara
    April 12, 2012 at 1:33 pm (3 years ago)

Great tools! I can’t wait to go to the hardware store! My sewing room is oak hardwood.

108. Martha
    April 12, 2012 at 3:20 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room too, was formerly my son’s bedroom. It has navy blue carpeting.

109. sheila
    April 12, 2012 at 5:31 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room right now is in the living room,we are having our sun porch redone to become my sewing room,it will have wood flooring,much easier to clean up threads.
    I bought a magnet from the auto department that has a handle that I use in a sweeping motion to pick up loose pins,works great,no bending over or getting on the knees. Sheila

110. Nancy Crawford
    April 12, 2012 at 5:43 pm (3 years ago)

I have hardwood floors that I love. They are very easy to keep clean. In addition, I’ve got plastic floor protectors under the computer & sewing chairs. I’ve stepped on too many pins/needles on carpeted floors! From now on, it is either hardwood, tile or laminate for me.

111. Shirley
    April 12, 2012 at 5:52 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room was once a bedroom, so it has very light beige carpeting. I have my cutting/hobby table out in the family room, which is laminate. Thanks for the great household item hints.

112. Laurie Dacus
    April 12, 2012 at 6:11 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing studio is in the basement and is currently concrete, painted black. Easy to find and clean up. Still a “studio in progress”, and we will probably change the flooring to make it easier for standing and working – not so hard on the back. I have had the carpeting, and have “found” pins in the feet – try through the toe… will NEVER do that again.

113. Barb Miller
    April 12, 2012 at 6:18 pm (3 years ago)

I have a Pergo floor in my sewing room and I love it!

114. Sherrie Lilly
    April 12, 2012 at 6:37 pm (3 years ago)

Carpet and I hate it. I have to use a plastic rake to get up the threads that miss the can. Wanted linolium and the hubby put in what he wanted. grrr.

115. Nancy Owens
    April 12, 2012 at 8:11 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room is wood laminate, strong enough to stand up to a very busy 3 year old Black Lab and allows me the freedom to roll all over the room in my chair since getting up and down is not fun. It is also easy clean-up, I get lots of black dog hair intermingled with beautiful threads and buttons!

Thanks for the great suggestions for household items to assist in the design and embroidery process. I’m printing it out and putting it on my design wall until I get one of each to live in my sewing room!
    Nancy

116. Kathy Smith
    April 12, 2012 at 8:15 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is a navy tweed with white and red in it. It looks like it is black but it is navy. It is berber carpet and the white flecks look just like pin heads. The pins blend in perfectly. We installed a built in countertop that miters in the corner and built shelves under the far ends for my machines. I have to be extremely careful when sewing since I sew barefoot. I would love to install laminate but that will not happen until we do the rest of the house. My husband did such a good job on the counters that I hate to have him have to take them apart to remove the carpet and install the flooring but he said we’d do it when we can. The carpet was put into replace the carpet my mother ruined when she lived with us and is in excellent condition — just not good for a sewing room.

117. Betty Burkart
    April 12, 2012 at 9:05 pm (3 years ago)

I have berber carpet in my sewing room. But I have a plastic desk protection mat in front of my machine and computer so I can roll my chair around easily.

118. Sharlene Klegstad
    April 12, 2012 at 9:33 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is oak hardwood; our house was built in the 30’s so has wonderful, old wood floors.

119. Denise Root
    April 12, 2012 at 9:34 pm (3 years ago)

I have slate tile in my sewing room, but we are building a sewing studio and we plan on having hard wood, oak or maple in there. My reasoning is because it is so easy to keep clean, and you don’t have to drag out your hose for your central vac, or normal vac out!

120. MargaretAnnB
    April 12, 2012 at 9:47 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is a very low pile plush carpet in a light color. Under the sewing machine area I have one of those mats that are used in offices under the chairs so they glide easily. Most of my thread snips and trimmings end up on the smooth chair mat and they are easy to clean up.

121. Judy
    April 12, 2012 at 11:09 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room is in an extra bedroom in our house so has carpeting. Not the best choice but I keep a vacuum cleaner in the closet so it is easy to vacuum quickly.

122. Darlene M. LaMaster
    April 12, 2012 at 11:21 pm (3 years ago)

I use to have industrial carpet, however, it was impossible to keep clean and ended up with a needle in my foot. Now I have wood laminate which I love.

123. Barbara Rowlan Wong
    April 12, 2012 at 11:37 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is carpet and I use the long style quilting pins and maybe I’m just lucky but when they drop they always stick point side down…. so, I’ve never punctured my feet. My desire has been to have wood floors in that room but I may keep my ‘pin cushion carpet’ after reading this blog.

Thanks for the wonderful tips! And most especially thank you for my gift certificate I won. What a nice surprise! ~barbara

124. Deb
    April 12, 2012 at 11:58 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks for the great tips. I have medium height carpet, but would like a low loft carpet or cork, which are both warm on the feet.

125. Laurie Volocyk
    April 13, 2012 at 12:41 am (3 years ago)

I have carpet which makes it harder to find dropped pins and cut threads. I use a lint roller for quick thread pick ups in between vacuuming, and I have to use a magnetic pointer to pick up some fo the pins! It is also harder to move my chair from machine to machine. But I have a sewing room, so I’m happy!

126. Diane Crane
    April 13, 2012 at 8:17 am (3 years ago)

My sewing room has carpet. Not my first choice, because it’s difficult to find lost pins. If we ever re-do the floors, I would love hardwood!

127. Dell
    April 13, 2012 at 10:02 am (3 years ago)

I sew at my kitchen table where there is hardwood flooring.

128. Fran Dispensa
    April 13, 2012 at 11:17 am (3 years ago)

My sewing room is my former dining room with hardwood floors which makes it easy to find dropped items before my cat does.
    Love getting all the tips.

129. Laura-Ann
    April 13, 2012 at 3:23 pm (3 years ago)

my ACTUAL sewing room floor is fabric and things to alter… and under that thread and perhaps some lost needles – which my husband usually finds with his feet :O … and under that… carpet
    where i do my embroidery (as my sewing room used to be a dressing room and can’t hold both machines/fabric etc) is my dining room floor so carpet again (and some thread/needles, yup he finds those too… he’s very handy that way, but don’t tell him i said that 😉

love the tips, esp. the chopstick one as i just recently ran over my finger (luckily i just hit nail)

130. Patty Sack
    April 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm (3 years ago)

I have beige carpet, yuck. Not my choice, it was brand new when we boought the house 2 years ago

131. Doreen
    April 13, 2012 at 4:33 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is tiles

132. duff
    April 13, 2012 at 4:45 pm (3 years ago)

love the zip ties idea! I was wondering how that might work and then you have pictures–you guys rock!!!
    I have a wood floor–easy to clean!

133. Nancy N
    April 13, 2012 at 4:57 pm (3 years ago)

I have vinyl planks which look like wood. I had carpet for years and had to van all the time and push the chair around with effort. Now I wiz from one spot to another with the speed of summer lightening. And all the thread and fabric scraps can be herded with a yard blower!

134. Mary Gordon
    April 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm (3 years ago)

My upstairs sewing room/studio type (formerly a bedroom) has maroon carpeting with a great cut that allows pins and needles to sit on top when dropped. Very durable and lends a nice color to the room.

135. Dorothy Reitsma
    April 13, 2012 at 5:57 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing studio has part light linoleum and part light laminate. Great for keeping my room bright and very easy to keep clean.

136. Janeise
    April 13, 2012 at 6:23 pm (3 years ago)

I have a carpeted floor. It is about med pile but I still lose those needles and pins every once in a while

137. Peggy Forbes
    April 13, 2012 at 6:24 pm (3 years ago)

Currently my sewing floor is a mixture of threads, dog hair and dust bunnies on a sea of hunter green carpet!

My favorite was a hardwood floor with area rug and cushioned mat made with the little puzzle pieced squares you get in the kids dept.

I love your tips. The 1/4″ chisel is a great idea! I also use a rubber mallet for hammering those thick seams, the surface is smoother than some hammer heads out there.

138. Ann Acquilano
    April 13, 2012 at 8:18 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is hard wood. I love it easy to clean and find pins when I drop them. I make a lot of bags and love your hint about the zip ties. I will try it the next time I make a bag.

139. Mona Dongray
    April 13, 2012 at 8:34 pm (3 years ago)

I have hard wood floors in my sewing room. I love them due to the floors being easy to keep clean and are embroidery friendly. I love your tips, I am definitely going to have to incorporate many of them into my projects.

140. Lorraine Rankin
    April 13, 2012 at 10:03 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is ceramic tile because it is the floor in our motor home so- that floor is our everything floor and I’m so blessed that it is tile. Easy to sweep up threads and scraps as well as crumbs from the table after meals and mud from our shoes when it is sloppy outdoors! When I had a permanent sewing room I had kitchen type carpeting and needles/pins always were hiding in wait for stocking feet! Hard surface so much better…

141. tisha williams
    April 13, 2012 at 11:07 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks for all the great ideas! I would like to see more on how to do the dowel hem trick (#6) and some pics on how to use the hair elastics….Also love the zip tie idea! My craft room is light and bright lanoleum…not the prettiest looking, but easy to clean up!!!

142. Nancy Newman
    April 14, 2012 at 12:09 am (3 years ago)

Thank you so much for the suggestions for using 12 Household Tools. I really liked the zip tie tip, will certainly try it. My sewing studio floor is carpet. I was fortune enough to knock down a wall to enlarge my space. So I thought better stop while I was ahead. So carpet, not by choice, but you know . . . . .

143. Vicki Batty
    April 14, 2012 at 12:25 am (3 years ago)

Floor – continuous vinyl (modern lino).
    I also use zip-lock plastic bags for storing (a) stabilizer that is affected by humidity; (b) sewing patterns (A4 size bags) – to keep all the pieces together, especially when you traced & cut non-woven pieces for multiple sizes of the one pattern.
    S hooks – for hanging my embroidery scissors, applique scissors, etc off the rail above my work table.

144. Claudia Wade
    April 14, 2012 at 8:03 am (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is wall to wall carpeting, BUT I am replacing it with laminate soon. I think the laminate will make a better surface for my wheeled sewing chair, and be easier to clean too. My sewing room is overcrowded with sewing and cutting tables and I think it will be easy to get a Swiffer in and amongst all the stuff. I plan to get ‘dust-colored’ laminate, though, just in case I don’t clean as often as I should.

145. Kim F
    April 14, 2012 at 9:24 am (3 years ago)

I have carpeting in my sewing room now. But I am looking to use a hard surface as I am planning my sewing room in our new house. I am looking at cork and bamboo. It will be much easier to find dropped pins.

146. neena
    April 14, 2012 at 9:59 am (3 years ago)

I have carpeting and cat fur books on tape and a variety of older and vintage sewing machines, ironing board with tape player under it and a cutting table my hubby mounted to the wall and it folds up and hooks to the wall so I can get to and use my old sewing machines. neat!

147. Carol Howell
    April 14, 2012 at 12:35 pm (3 years ago)

I have an engineered wood floor in my sewing room. It is light in color and really helped lighten up this eastern exposure room.

148. Judy Brehmer
    April 14, 2012 at 2:31 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room has carpet. We were trying to sell our townhouse so we put an off white carpet in all the upstairs and stairway. I aqm very unhappy with it and would love tile or Pergo. Maybe someday. Our first floor is all done in real Oak flooring it is wonderful. I am Thankful to have a bedroom now that is my sewing room.

149. Karen Platten
    April 14, 2012 at 4:12 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room has carpet. It used to be a big bedroom, just added a wall so there was a place to put my sewing table. On one wall I have a view of the river. Love it.

150. Tonya Taylor
    April 14, 2012 at 4:55 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room is a spare bedroom with carpet. My husband put up pegboards so I could hang up all my tools and ribbon. I plan to one day replace it with tile or wood. prehapes it will be easier to keep clean.

151. Favy
    April 14, 2012 at 5:46 pm (3 years ago)

My floor is tile, in a light golden cream color. It’s so easy to keep swept and the light color is good for finding those dropped pins/bobbins/etc.

152. alo
    April 14, 2012 at 11:31 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room is 8 ft. by 8 ft approximately and the floor is made of travertine which makes cleaning a snap.

153. Dale Fedor
    April 15, 2012 at 6:25 am (3 years ago)

Thank you for the list of tools. Some I have but I will definitely get those that I don’t have.

My sewing room floor is low nap carpet. I like having carpet because things don’t roll around.

154. Sandy Yarbrough
    April 15, 2012 at 4:46 pm (3 years ago)

When we turned m daughters’s room into my sewing room I had hardwood floors put in.

155. Kelly Jackson
    April 15, 2012 at 5:31 pm (3 years ago)

I sew in the basement that has one layer of padding and carpeting. It isn’t too bad on my legs but I’ve seen folks with the nice padding and they put throw rugs over the top. That might be nice in the front of my ironing area.

Smiles,
    Kelly

156. Bonnie Gray
    April 15, 2012 at 6:07 pm (3 years ago)

I use half my bedroom for my sewing area so it has carpet. I try very hard to get all my cut threads into my scrap container, but always seem to have a rainbow of color onthe carpet!

157. Denice
    April 15, 2012 at 6:12 pm (3 years ago)

I live in a one bedroom apartment so I am stuck with carpet, a low pile variety. I have a long handled scrub brush for picking up threads by raking the carpet with it. I have not found an easy way to pick up or even find pins embedded in the carpet fibers other than by stepping on them; so it is hands, knees and a good flashlight for that job. Your tool list was great and I am copy and pasting it for postarity. Thank-you

April 15, 2012 at 8:19 pm (3 years ago)

I have very low pile carpet in my sewing room. Pins are easy to find and cleans up well. Love your tools list.

159. Lynn
    April 16, 2012 at 6:34 am (3 years ago)

Carpet-which is nice as I never wear shoes indoors

160. Leslie H.
    April 16, 2012 at 1:04 pm (3 years ago)

Before my son moved out, the room was carpeted. After he went on his own, I tore the carpet up planning on putting down hardwood. But once the carpet was up and I saw the original terrazzo I loved it with the gray/blue chips coloring. So it’s nice and smooth, pretty, cool (which in FL is nice), and saved me a lot of work. It’s such an improvement!

161. Sharon Fortunato
    April 16, 2012 at 1:06 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room, located in the lower level of my ranch home, is industrial tile. It’s a breeze to clean up with a broom and dust pan!! Nothing can get lost on tile:)

162. Amy
    April 16, 2012 at 2:05 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is bamboo covered with a wool rug. The wood is easy to clean, and the rug keeps my feet warm!

163. Peggy Schroeder
    April 16, 2012 at 3:22 pm (3 years ago)

Hi,
    I now have oak hardwood floors in both of my sewing rooms. For many years it was carpet, but pins stuck in it, dirt stuck on it, and it was generally a chore to clean. The bits and pieces of thread were the worst, no matter what I did, I could not get them all up. The hardwood is so much nicer, and it is definitely a lot easier to clean. Besides, now I can see what I have dropped before I step on it! If it is extra cold, I have a small portable space heater to keep me warm.

164. Gwen M. McGillan
    April 17, 2012 at 9:00 am (3 years ago)

Hello,
    I have very light colored hardwood floors.The kitties and thread balls don’t show too much.However they do try to cling to my pant legs at times. Cleans like a dream.Love your tips! Gwen

165. karen trott
    April 17, 2012 at 9:36 am (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is painted concrete. It is painted to look like mottled brown and tan tiles. With dogs and sewing, clean up is much easier. I use colored rubbery mats to stand on and save my back and feet. I wouldn’t trade for another type floor.( mats are those colorful jig-saw puzzle sets, cheap and easy to maneuver )

166. Margaret Bailey
    April 17, 2012 at 10:07 am (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is Bamboo flooring. It used to be carpet and I like the hard surface much better for rolling my chair between machines. It is also easier to clean up.

167. Crysta
    April 17, 2012 at 10:12 am (3 years ago)

When we remodeled the house, my sewing area was top on our needs list. I wanted to be able to let my floor robots come along and keep the area tidy, so I have ceramic tiles that are dark and can be washed daily to clean up sparkles, threads, and other crafty ingredients.

168. Sylvia
    April 17, 2012 at 10:21 am (3 years ago)

I have a bamboo flooring, thanks to my wonderful husband! When I set my sewing room up and while it was empty he took a weekend to pull up new carpet and place bamboo flooring down. It has been wonderful because I can see pins and needles, and anything else that falls on it. To clean the floor is a breeze. In the winter I have a small space heater and that keeps my toes warm.

169. Sylvia
    April 17, 2012 at 10:22 am (3 years ago)

Than you for your hard work.

170. Christi
    April 17, 2012 at 2:13 pm (3 years ago)

I took over my dining room with my sewing. I have linoleum.

171. Carole Shelton
    April 17, 2012 at 7:59 pm (3 years ago)

Great hints. I recently move. I had hardwood floors in my old house; now I have carpet. The hardwood was much better both for cleaning up and finding things I dropped.

172. Charlene Perron
    April 17, 2012 at 10:05 pm (3 years ago)

I have light colored low pile carpet in my basement sewing room with a plastic office mat under my main sewing machine and chair. It cleans up well and I use a space heater to get the room toasty warm during the winter. Great hints for new uses for household tools!

April 17, 2012 at 10:58 pm (3 years ago)

Wow, these are great ideas! Some of them I have already been using but some of them I never would have thought of! I like the ironing board idea when hooping shirts! I have a lot of trouble with that! I do use the clips already and the chop stick idea for keeping fingers safe. I also use the hair ties, but the plastic cable tie idea is a new one to me and I will absolutely try it in the future as well. I know I am too late for the contest, but when we were redoing our whole house floors, I insisted that I have some type of non carpet flooring in my sewing room, so I have 18 inch ceramic tiles. It is wonderful for rolling around in my sewing chair and also for finding dropped pins! It is also much easier to keep the stray threads cleaned up. I had carpet in my sewing room prior to that and I hated it! I wound up buying one of the mats that go under office chairs and put that under my chair and as I bought a very large one it extended partway into the rest of the room so it did help a little bit with the issues I mentioned above. Thank you for all the great tips!

174. Connie
    April 18, 2012 at 12:02 am (3 years ago)

I have a medium grade comerical indoor/outdoor carpet in my sewing room. No nape so my chairs roll easily, my feet stay warm and it’s easy to clean. I keep small plastic paint buckets near each work station for all the thread ends etc. Works great.

175. Ashleigh
    April 18, 2012 at 12:38 pm (3 years ago)

My sewing room is shared with the rest of my art so it is concrete with some throw rugs, garage paint and smatterings of dye, paint, thread and whatever else make it to the floor. It is super easy to clean since there is no grout or cracks for things to get burried in. It works for me and it keeps me cool on those hot summer days when more than one machine is running. It will be real wood floor not laminate before we sell the house.

176. Erich Campbell
    April 18, 2012 at 1:41 pm (3 years ago)

Our flooring, being we’re a commercial location, is sealed concrete, but we do have anti-stress mats around our machines. Sadly, the holes in them are just the right size for a bobbin to fall in and be trapped. We really need better mats! 😉

177. Sandra Fidler
    April 18, 2012 at 2:57 pm (3 years ago)

My sewingroom flooe ia carpet with a sculpted pattern. Now good for sewing room.

178. Peggy Schroeder
    April 19, 2012 at 11:06 pm (3 years ago)

I use the metal or plastic strapping that comes on shipping packages to put in bags and purses. It is heavy-duty, but still flexible, light weight, and I can just cut it to the right size. The best thing is, it is free! I use small, flat sided, needle nose pliers to bend those little tiny prongs on the ruffler foot. You know, the prongs that jam up and get bent just about every other time it is used!

179. obimom
    April 20, 2012 at 3:47 am (3 years ago)

Black carpet. At first I thought it would be a nightmare but it makes it easy to find threads. Now I love it.

180. Loreta Vaughn
    April 20, 2012 at 12:49 pm (3 years ago)

My floor is covered with carpet plus fallen pins and threads.

181. Dot Ziegler
    April 27, 2012 at 9:00 am (3 years ago)

Carpet, but I wish it was wood. There is too much stuff in there to even think of redoing it.

182. Roslyn Zencker
    July 11, 2012 at 6:51 am (3 years ago)

My sewing room floor is 18 inch square light colored tile. The tile keeps the room cooler and easy to clean. especially in here, in Arizona, where triple digit temperatures are common. My white walls are adorned with successful test samples that have been framed. I’m an organization nut, so everything is stored where I can see what I might be looking for. The huge window in that room affords me a great amount of natural light. A very comfortable room for me.

183. Phyllis Calvert
    November 23, 2013 at 9:20 pm (2 years ago)

My sewing room is in the bsmt. which is cement floor with peel and stick tile.12″ size ..So it’s also a good measuring tool…

184. Kay Weeks
    February 22, 2014 at 10:50 am (1 year ago)

Low nap carpeting covered with desk chair mats

185. Vernadine McAlpine
    March 5, 2014 at 8:15 pm (1 year ago)

Both places that I set up my machines is carpet. One is smooth and the other is low shag.

186. Deanna LeBrun
    November 16, 2014 at 4:05 pm (9 months ago)

We recently pulled up all the carpet in the house except in my main sewing area. But we have a massive office mat down that fills almost all of it. So I guess I should say plastic. When I stop buying sewing supplies long enough of to get that last 2 boxes of flooring, then it will be laminate.

187. Sarah
    December 29, 2014 at 9:12 pm (7 months ago)

My ‘sewing room’ at the moment is the dining table, so it’s on wooden floors, but right next to the carpet area. This means threads are easy to catch when they escape the table, but you have to be quick!

188. Myrna
    December 29, 2014 at 10:23 pm (7 months ago)

My sewing room floor currently is carpeting however I am looking for vinyl or tile to replace the carpet. I use the dining room and will be replacing the kitchen/dining room at the same time. Currently looking to see what design I want.

189. Florence Daly
    December 29, 2014 at 10:50 pm (7 months ago)

I have ceramic tile, came with the house but I don’t have to worry about stepping on pins

190. Sue Duisenberg
    December 30, 2014 at 11:17 am (7 months ago)

I was able to turn a bedroom into a sewing room, and changed the carpet to laminate flooring after a couple of years. Much easier to scoot around from machine to table, and pins are easy to find

191. Dorothy Vaughn
    December 30, 2014 at 6:19 pm (7 months ago)

Carpet which I hate.

192. Deborah Jones
    January 29, 2015 at 8:24 pm (6 months ago)

I have wood flooring

193. Carol
    July 18, 2015 at 10:52 am (2 weeks ago)

I still have carpet it has taken me 25 years but I have finally convinced my husband I really need wood, it will be done this summer. I cannot wait.

194. Darlene Tooley
    July 28, 2015 at 9:47 pm (1 day ago)

My flooring is a beige carpet marbled with cobalt blue satin threads from a couple sewing projects ago, which so far has won every fight against our vacuum cleaner.

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on 12 Household Tools for the Machine Embroiderer

1. […] of Designs in Machine Embroidery has posted a list of 12 Household Tools for the Machine Embroiderer. There are some great hacks and ideas here for crafting tools you might already be using, plus […]

2. […] on the list are two posts from the Designs in Machine Embroidery blog.   First we have 12 Household Tools for Machine Embroidery and then we have its sequel, 10 Household Tools for Machine Embroidery.  What’s nice about […]

3. […] received such a positive response from my recent blog: 12 Household Tools for the Machine Embroiderer that I decided to revisit this […]