Craftsy – What a way to learn!

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Craftsy – What a way to learn!

I have to admit I’m having a blast over at Craftsy – my Machine Embroidered Quilt class just went live last week and it’s been a ton of fun chatting with the students.  If you’ve never heard of Craftsy, let me take a minute to tell you about their learning platform.

Craftsy produces long-form, in-depth classes that students can re-watch and access at any time of day or night. Students can also use the platform to ask questions in the videos and receive feedback from both their instructor and fellow students. Students can upload photos of their progress and finished projects.  The platform is extremely interactive, you can even make notes in the video! Once you purchase a class, you can access it forever. The camera work is top-shelf so you get to see exactly what’s going on – in close detail.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

When Craftsy contacted me about teaching, I immediately thought of the questions I get here on the blog from many blog followers. The number one question has been, “How do you do continuous embroidery?”  I most certainly wanted to attack that embroidery challenge in my class.  So I designed the Hourglass quilt. It’s a combination of a few of my favorite things: gray and aqua fabrics, quilting with an embroidery machine and simplifying complicated tasks for embroiderers. I’ll tell you, Craftsy is the perfect partner to showcase that combo for you.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

After coming up with the concept, it was time to digitize the designs, test the designs and redigitize! Ugh – that’s often the hardest part. The fun part was completing the quilt. Well, I thought that was fun part until I met the Craftsy crew – Jarrod Sumpter, Adam Speas and James Clark.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

They flew to my humble video studio to tape for three days in July. What a professional crew!  They set up all that equipment in just a few short hours and then it was off to the races.

Here’s what the floor of my sewing room looked like while I prepared for the taping.  Each plastic bag is labeled for an individual video segment – there are nine videos, over 2 hours of video!

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

My goal was to be as comprehensive as possible and make it fun. Here’s what a couple of students have said:

Wonderful Class!
This is a great class. It is very clear and easy to follow. It teaches not only machine embroidered quilting, but gives precise instructions on continuous embroidery. This is a must take class for anyone with an embroidery machine. – ddregno

Great Class!
Very detailed and new for me approaches to using an embroidery machine for applique and quilting. Best instructions yet for continuous hooping and proper alignment. Also really like the quilting/embroidery design, more modern and interesting than the standard florals, etc. – candycb

I love this class and cannot wait to make one of these quilts. I have to finish a baby quilt first…then comes the fun with this one. – kmprshnin

The class includes six embroidery designs to make the Hourglass quilt

(for 5″ x 7″ and 7″ x 12″ hoops) and video instruction on single layer appliqué, double layer appliqué, continuous embroidery and continuous appliqué. You’ll also find a bonus 30+ minute tips and techniques video in the class.

I hope you’ll join me over in the Machine Embroidered Quilt class on Craftsy.

Click here to take advantage of my instructor discount and sign up with immediate access.

This week’s assignment:

Let me know what you think about Craftsy and you could win a $50.00 gift certificate to spend on the Designs in Machine Embroidery website.

The winner of last week’s assignment answered the following question:

Have you ever attended an embroidery event.  If yes, what did you like best about the experience and why?  Post a comment for a chance to win a Stipple Bridge Club.

The winner is:  Dolly D.
“I have not had the chance to attend your stitching event. I am hoping you will be coming back to the western PA area real soon. Looks like lots of fun!”

65 Comments on Craftsy – What a way to learn!

1. Diane Crane
    August 22, 2012 at 11:16 am (7 years ago)

This class sounds like it would be a lot of fun as well as extremely informative. And I love your film crew! 🙂

2. Rhonda Sanford
    August 22, 2012 at 11:28 am (7 years ago)

I love Craftsy and the ability to watch the lesson videos over and over again…You can’t go wrong…

3. Pamela Wall
    August 22, 2012 at 11:36 am (7 years ago)

I have taken a number of Craftsy classes and have enjoyed the process. They are so well done and executed that it is just like learning live without the time constraint. I like being able to watch a lesson several times. I prefer to watch once just as a preview, the again while I am working with the program. It is especially important to me that the authors/presenters will also take questions/comments. Thank you for joining the offerings. It is such a cost effective way to learn for those of us who cannot attend major seminars!

4. gina button
    August 22, 2012 at 12:24 pm (7 years ago)

Wow that is a beautiful quilt! I do ha e a janome embroidery machine so I do know some stuff but not alot i do like learning about what all I can do with it. Thank you!

5. Dolly D.
    August 22, 2012 at 12:35 pm (7 years ago)

I am not familiar with Craftsy classes but this sounds like a great idea. I enjoy learning anything and everything from your embroidery knowledge and creativity!

6. Evelyn McGavin
    August 22, 2012 at 2:23 pm (7 years ago)

I love Craftsy. Although I haved signed up for several classes, I have not had the time to finish one. That is the wonderful part! I can go over the lessons whenever I do find the time and I can repeat them as many times as I want. I am thrilled that Eileen will be teaching a class. Can’t wait! I urge others to see if this is a good fit for them.

7. Nancy
    August 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm (7 years ago)

I was unfamiliar with Craftsy until today. I plan to sign up for the class. Thanks!

8. Sherrie Lilly
    August 22, 2012 at 3:52 pm (7 years ago)

A couple of years ago I attended a Stitching Sisters event in Carlsbad, CA. Learned alot about placement and have been practicing it ever since. Love your applique embroidery.

9. eileenroche
    August 22, 2012 at 4:58 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks for your kind words! Hope to see you again at an event.

10. Kay
    August 22, 2012 at 5:41 pm (7 years ago)

Craftsy is quite possibly the greatest invention for Machine Embroidery since the PAL! (and yes, I do know that Craftsy probably came first!)

I’m thrilled to learn that Craftsy is now offering Machine Embroidery classes featuring Eileen! 🙂 I usually sign up for the free classes, but I DEFINITELY will pay to take this one!

11. Paula Roney
    August 22, 2012 at 6:19 pm (7 years ago)

Craftsy is a great learning opportunity. I started by trying a free block of the month and found it very well done. I like the ability to access the classes whenever you wish – it works no matter what your schedule may be. Yea Crafty!!!

12. Clem
    August 22, 2012 at 6:53 pm (7 years ago)

I have signed up for several classes and have watched them, taken notes and reviewed reviewed reviewed….I love the fact that you have a class here. I have an embroidery machine and still have not tried continuous embroidery. I went to one of your classes a while ago and would love to take another one….

13. Tina S
    August 22, 2012 at 8:41 pm (7 years ago)

I haven’t taken a class yet, but I hope to in the near future. Love that quilt patter and the colors.

14. Debbie St.Germain
    August 22, 2012 at 9:13 pm (7 years ago)

I haven’t been able to take classes since I got my new machine, online classes would be a nice way for me to learn, since I can’t get out as much I would like to. I think it is a great idea for those who are home bound or live in areas where they can’t get to classes.

Debbie

15. Marilyn
    August 22, 2012 at 10:04 pm (7 years ago)

Oh my, every time I see a new Craftsy class, I can’t wait to sign up! So far…I’m two classes behind–signed up and haven’t taken them. But when school starts, I promise I will. (Hmm, it sounds as though I have school-age children who will be gone. Nope. But it is a good time, nevertheless, to start new projects.)

16. Edie
    August 22, 2012 at 10:06 pm (7 years ago)

I am a diehard night owl and Craftsy is always there when Ithe house is quiet and my mind is ready to learn. Hourglass quilt is up next!

17. Connie Angeline
    August 22, 2012 at 10:20 pm (7 years ago)

Amazing,you’ve just read my mind! I want to make a quilted throw, several in fact.
    I’m signing up now. Thanks again.

18. Elaine
    August 22, 2012 at 10:21 pm (7 years ago)

I have learned so much from Craftsy. I love their online classes and their website!! The instructors are very knowledgeable, professional, and thorough. I have never been disappointed with a class!!

19. Jean
    August 22, 2012 at 10:41 pm (7 years ago)

I have not taken a Craftsy course yet but plan to do so this fall.

20. Donna G.
    August 22, 2012 at 10:44 pm (7 years ago)

I love Craftsy! I’ve taken a couple of classes, and I’m so glad to see this one added! Craftsy’s a great way to learn, and it also provides follow-up and reinforcement of the lessons.

21. Nancy Owens
    August 22, 2012 at 10:45 pm (7 years ago)

First I love Eileen’s classes, I have taken many of your classes at shows or Sitiching Sisters. Second, I love Craftsy.
    I have taken 4 classes to date, and I love being able to go back anytime I want to practice again and again. So, combinine my 1st and 2nd favorite ways of learning machine embroidery is Great!

22. Sharon Aiken
    August 22, 2012 at 10:47 pm (7 years ago)

I’ve only taken one Craftsy class so far, but really enjoyed it. Hope to take more in the future.

23. Mary Haggenmaker
    August 22, 2012 at 10:52 pm (7 years ago)

I have ordered the class and am now waiting…impatiently.. for it to get to me.

24. Sandra Bassett
    August 22, 2012 at 11:02 pm (7 years ago)

I signed up for the free Craftsy Block of the Month course at the beginning of the year and have been hooked ever since. As new courses become available, I check them out and so far have signed up for 4 more. Well worth the time and money for these excellent classes. I certainly plan on signing up for the machine embroidery class too.

25. Barbara Rowlan Wong
    August 22, 2012 at 11:05 pm (7 years ago)

I’d never heard of Craftsy until tonight. Sounds like an idea way to learn. The idea of being able to access the classes any time and often is my kind of class. Mug of hot chocolate and slippers along with my embroidery machine makes me happy!!

26. Kathy Dahl
    August 22, 2012 at 11:33 pm (7 years ago)

Not all of us have the larger hoop. Offer something for smaller hoops

• eileenroche
      August 23, 2012 at 1:34 pm (7 years ago)

The designs included with this Crafty course come in two sizes: 7″ x 12″ and 5″ x 7″. If you have a 5″ x 7″ sewing field, you can do this class.

27. Bonnie Gray
    August 23, 2012 at 12:00 am (7 years ago)

Love the concept! The fact you can take it over and over is great!

28. Shirley R
    August 23, 2012 at 1:41 am (7 years ago)

I received an email from Craftsy yesterday and was excited to see that you will be teaching this machine-embroidered quilt class. I will be signing up for this one as I am extremely interested in, and love to combine, quilting with machine embroidery. I have signed up for another Craftsy class but have not had time to take it yet, but I know I can start this at any time. Somehow I believe your class will take precedence! LOL! This will be exciting.

29. Martine
    August 23, 2012 at 1:42 am (7 years ago)

I signed up for the free Craftsy Block of the Month course at the beginning of the year and love the concept. Your class sounds like great fun! Am on vacation right now but will sign up as soon as we’re home again.

30. Wanda H Leffingwell
    August 23, 2012 at 4:12 am (7 years ago)

The Craftsy Class is just what I need. I need to learn more about Quilting!

31. Lori Woodward
    August 23, 2012 at 6:04 am (7 years ago)

Having been to several of your workshops in Salisbury/Ocean City MD I know that you are a great teacher! This would be a wonderful way to learn from you without travel expenses!

32. Joan Davidson
    August 23, 2012 at 6:10 am (7 years ago)

I just signed up for your class. Have not had a chance to view it yet, but will do so soon. I really enjoy your products/designs. Always a hit.

33. Donna
    August 23, 2012 at 6:53 am (7 years ago)

When I got the email about the craftsy class I went over and looked and immediately signed up. So far I watched the intro and am now collecting the course materials needed before I begin the quilt. It’s like being at a retreat because others are going through it with me BUT its better because I get to rewind and listen again and again if I need to.

• eileenroche
      August 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm (7 years ago)

And you get to chat with the other students! Just like a retreat. Craftsy is really a great teaching/learning platform. Thanks for joining the class!

34. Jan in SoDak
    August 23, 2012 at 7:18 am (7 years ago)

I am a Craftsy-aholic! Living in the middle of nowhere, quality classes are difficult to come by – Craftsy has solved that problem by delivering high quality, accessible crafting classes. I can’t wait to try the machine embroidery class – I am looking forward to learning how to multi-hoop!

35. Barbara
    August 23, 2012 at 7:39 am (7 years ago)

I’m ready to jump in! The idea of Craftsy was very appealing, but now that I see a beautiful project from an artist I trust, I’ll be signing up next week!

36. LJ
    August 23, 2012 at 8:15 am (7 years ago)

I LOVE Craftsy. I have quite a list of classes I’ve purchased. I have not been disappointed in any one of them. I would recommend Craftsy to everyone. They also have a fantastic “Pattern” division so you should check that out. They also have a free BOM class and you can join anytime. Ooops! Guess you didn’t need an article on Crafsty – just a comment. 🙂 BTW, I purchased your “The Machine Embroidered Quilt” and can’t wait to view and begin!

37. Betsy
    August 23, 2012 at 8:33 am (7 years ago)

I signed up for your Craftsy class a few days ago and watched the entire class the same day. I’m very excited to have this machine embroidery class available to me “forever” so that I can re-watch it as needed. The quilt is beautiful and I’m anxious to try your project. I hope you will consider doing other Craftsy classes.

38. Rosalyn
    August 23, 2012 at 9:28 am (7 years ago)

I have never heard of Crafty but love the idea. I want take your class and learn the different skills.

39. patty sack
    August 23, 2012 at 10:01 am (7 years ago)

I LOVE Craftsy! I have taken 2 crocket classes (one which was Tunisian) and a Knit Shawls class. I think it is a great way to learn something new if you can’t get a hands on classs!

40. Belinda Briggs
    August 23, 2012 at 10:15 am (7 years ago)

I have taken several Craftsy classes. It’s so nice to be able to start the class and press pause when life calls, returning to it when I have a free moment! I just can’t find the time to get into a traditional classroom!

I’ve just signed up for your Machine Embroidered Quilt class! I am SO excited to have a structured Machine Embroidery class! I would love to see one for digitizing!

41. Bev Morrow
    August 23, 2012 at 10:27 am (7 years ago)

Craftsy is great! I haven’t yet completely finished any of the classes that I have purchased but that is the great part. Lots of information and lots of time to go over it!

42. Pat Janowiak
    August 23, 2012 at 10:57 am (7 years ago)

Love Craftsy. Have made a skirt, started a quilt, made croissants, have a to do list! Looking forward to working up to your quilt! So glad you joined the teachers on something that lets me work at my leisure!

43. Kathy M
    August 23, 2012 at 12:34 pm (7 years ago)

I’ve taken 1 Craftsy class and loved it. Am really looking forward to signing up for this one!!

44. Lila Smith
    August 23, 2012 at 1:40 pm (7 years ago)

I would like to learn more on continuous embroidery and digitizing. “Digitizing” scares me period, I need 3 or 4 hours more each day. Don’t know how I managed to have time for work and then to do “my thing” afterwards. Thanks. Lila Smith

45. Toni
    August 23, 2012 at 2:01 pm (7 years ago)

Eileen, I signed up for your Craftsy class yesterday and have already begun to stitch. For some reason or other (ha-ha!) I have become a more visual learner recently, and the Craftsy format is just perfect!

46. Mary Sheets
    August 23, 2012 at 2:57 pm (7 years ago)

I love the fact that you can watch the class over and over again in the comfort of your own home. It give me the confidence I need to try something new.

47. Margaret Brantley
    August 23, 2012 at 7:04 pm (7 years ago)

I like Craftsy very much. The classes are structured in such a great way that they can be viewed at any time, as many times as one wants. Class material can also be downloaded. A great concept!

48. Becky
    August 23, 2012 at 7:43 pm (7 years ago)

I love Craftsy. I really like the fact that you can watch over and over again and take notes on the video when there’s a technique you want to remember. I’m glad to see you join as an instructor. I can’t wait to take your class.

49. Anne Marie Reilly
    August 23, 2012 at 7:44 pm (7 years ago)

This website sounds like it would be fun and very informative. Thanks for making us aware of it.

50. Susan Burns
    August 23, 2012 at 11:18 pm (7 years ago)

Craftsy has opened up a whole new way to explore classes and projects in the comfort of your own home. It is perfect for a handicaped person such as myself who often cannot go to a class, but who has the same desire to create and learn as other people. Being able to revisit the classes when you want is great! I revisit in the middle of the night when sleep is elusive, so even then I can feel part of the creative world. Thanks so much!

51. JodieT
    August 24, 2012 at 9:12 am (7 years ago)

I am now taking Craftsy classes. They are great. My machine has been in shop along with my serger to be cleaned SINCE June. They just called yesterday afternoon to tell me it was ready. TWO months and I am not happy! I have purchased all your magna hoops for my Pfaff machine but am considering selling because of the service problems I have. There is only one dealer in Arkansas. I will look into your class. I am sure it is great.

52. Vicky Isliefson
    August 24, 2012 at 9:56 pm (7 years ago)

I haven’t taken a Craftsy class yet, but this might be the one that tempts me to take the plunge.

53. Mary
    August 26, 2012 at 7:31 pm (7 years ago)

I am taking Craftsy classes and really like them. Your class is what I want to do.

54. Ruth Wildermuth
    August 27, 2012 at 2:16 pm (7 years ago)

I am not much of a designer, but I manage just about 1 quilt a week. I am thinking about making a quilt with lots of designs in 44″ blocks. Enjoy you segments on design placement.

55. Cheryl Wrighgt
    August 28, 2012 at 1:48 pm (7 years ago)

I love Craftsy! I have enrolled in several classes. There are so many features that I love about this format of online classes. You can make video notes for yourself about something the instructor has said and it places the note at whatever point you are in watching. So cool. And you have great interaction with your classmates. I love it!

56. Doreen
    August 28, 2012 at 2:11 pm (7 years ago)

I like Craftsy. I’ve signed up for a few classes but have had time to take them yet.

August 28, 2012 at 7:49 pm (7 years ago)

I like Craftsy. Have done classes but no time now so they are on hold.

58. Lisa varberg
    September 6, 2012 at 7:30 am (7 years ago)

I am like a hungry bear out of hibernation when it comes to embroidery. I love to watch and learn anything about machine embroidery. This class seems to be perfect for anyone. Most places dont have a place where you can take a class and learn. This portable and perfect thank you.

59. Weida Shurtleff
    September 7, 2012 at 8:11 pm (7 years ago)

Hello Eileen,
    My name is Weida Shurtleff. I am taking your class called: The Machine Embroidered Quilt from Crafty. I have really enjoyed your class. Thank you for showing me a new way to quilt. Embroidery is my favorite. I have several embroidery machine. One of my favorite machine is BMP9 from Baby Lock.
    I really like to try new things.
    I have been waiting for my Magna-Hoop order #393361 I ordered on 8-23-2012. I paid for 2-3 day shipping. Would you be able to help me with this. Thanks again. Weida

60. Natalia Martinez
    October 18, 2012 at 6:41 pm (7 years ago)

I already sign up for your class. This is my class # 18. I am a Home Economics retired teacher and a fan of Cratsy. I visit always your blog and i love it. I didn’t become a member because i am always so afraid to talk and write English ( I am Spanish speaking) but i can understand and read it well.I know I am going to enjoy this course. Blessings for you from Puerto Rico.

61. Donna Gauthier
    September 16, 2013 at 10:55 pm (6 years ago)

Do you have these classes on line or do they come via disk?

62. Bernadette
    July 15, 2014 at 9:40 am (5 years ago)

I’m just beginning to quilt, and Craftsy has been a great resource! Congratulations on making this video lesson for them!

63. Cynthia O'Leary
    August 26, 2014 at 2:25 pm (5 years ago)

I am so happy that I found the Craftsy classes, I am currently enrolled in 10 so far. This helps me out in being able to go at my own pace and go over at anytime. Due to my epilepsy I need to review things over and over and this is a great help. I will continue to purchase more.