One Sassy Lady!

OneSassyLady_header-4

Katherine Artines

Katherine Artines

We introduced Stipple! Sassy Cats this summer to dealers at Baby Lock Tech (Baby Lock’s dealer convention) and wow – what a hit it was! Since it will be released to the public on Friday, I’d thought you’d be interested in meeting Katherine Artines.  She’s one very creative lady and I was thrilled when she agreed to tell us a little about herself.

Tell me three things our readers would be surprised to know about you.
I eat way too much candy ….I whine that “I can’t do free motion”…and my mom found my first gray hair when I was nine years old.
Describe your perfect vacation day.
As a young mother, I would have given you the “quiet beach with a book” answer. Now that I am a grandmother, I’ll go with “anywhere my children and grandchildren are making noise and laughing.”
Describe your perfect work day.
As much as I enjoy my people-jobs, my favorite work day is spent alone in my sewing area with a new just-unfolded piece of fabric looking up at me, …candy bowl and I-pod within reach… and the dog has already been out.

Artines-Studio-ready-to-create

Finish the sentence: Nobody knows …
Well, now….if I complete that, then everyone will know….that I loudly sing in my car anything by Led Zeppelin!
What is your favorite thing to do other than sewing/embroidering?
Reading! Whether from a library book or in my Nook, I’ve made friends over the years with Nancy Drew, Meggie Cleary and Ralph de Bricassart, Kinsey Millhone, Stephanie Plum, Harry Potter, Mitch Rapp, Jack Reacher, Lincoln Rhyme, and scores of others. My current quest is to finish the thousands of pages from George R. R. Martin.

What is your favorite project you have created over the years?
My favorite project, and the one that was the most momentous, has to be my green leopard, black-white-pink jacket. It was the first time I made the cover of Designs, and the binding technique so intrigued Nancy Zieman that she specifically asked for it to be included as one of the projects we  featured on Sewing with Nancy’s Jackets on the Cutting Edge.
Do you prefer to design from scratch or do a makeover?
I’m a “don’t fence me in” kind of gal, so I prefer to begin from scratch. If I do a makeover, chances are not a lot of the original fabric is showing or it’s missing some parts!
Share one embroidery tip that every embroiderer should know.
Although not witty or clever, I’d say to change your needle often!
What 5 things can you not live without?
A tough one to answer without sounding sappy–my family, the gift of laughter, the ability to create, my eyesight, my belief that life is good. If I had to live without them, I could….but I would really rather not.
What is your favorite afternoon snack?
Choices, choices. Anything from Mars, Nestlé’s, or the Hershey’s Foods Corporation would do just nicely. But, then, who makes Circus Peanuts?
What one item do you cook or bake really well?
Uh……..hmmmmmm……….oh gee, my keyboard just locked up……………..Truth? I can open a jar really, really fast.
When you were 12 years old, what did you dream of being when you grew up?
Funny you should pick 12—it was the year I started sewing. I made almost all my clothes through junior high and high school so, of course, I wanted to be a fashion designer. That is until I got my first-ever “C” in Chemistry my senior year. Logically (a misnomer for a teenager), I switched my major in college to business education because, at that time, fashion design required a full year of chemistry and I was going for the Dean’s List!  Luckily, my business education degree led me to computers, which lead me to my first embroidery machine with digitizing software, which led me to Eileen and Nancy and Mary and Rita and Judy and to countless amazing women who love to talk about all things thread. Ahhh, the paths you take.

Artines-Studio-shelves-posh

Are you more creative during the early morning hours, midday, or do you burn the midnight oil?
Early morning for sure!  My “midnight oil” is hopefully relaxing all the laugh lines I’ve accumulated over the years.
What is your motto?
As a kid, my dad would encourage me to “See Beyond” when he was teaching me to draw. Mentally repeating his phrase has helped throughout my life, whether I needed it to challenge, to inspire, or to endure.
Name one talent or skill you wish you had.
Singing would be nice. I know those around me would ask for that.
Which do you prefer—milk, white, or dark chocolate?
Milk and dark are interchangeable for me. White? If it were the only type of chocolate on my island, I would learn to love it.
What one word best describes you?
Now, Eileen, you know I’m a word-nerd. One word just won’t do—how about merry, joyous, cheerful, jubilant, sunny……and blest?My Hub and I saw a t-shirt that read “Six out of seven dwarves aren’t Happy.”  He now calls me “the seventh dwarf”!
Finish the sentence:  My mother taught me….
…to be strong. She did so mostly by her actions, but also from her mantra, “Things could be worse!” She taught me to sew, shared her joy of reading, explained that a lady always wears a slip, and to not wear white shoes until after Memorial Day—a true southern lady.

What a fascinating woman! Tell us what your favorite pastime is besides embroidery and 2 winners will be selected to win a $25 gift certificate to the Kreations by Kara website. Good luck!

DME Blog-Ad

The winner of last week’s assignment is:

Leave us a comment below about your secret sewing or embroidery weapon and one comment will be chosen to win a secret weapon of their very own, Target Stickers! These handy stickers are reusable, repositionable and provide you with perfect placement everytime. Thanks and good luck!

And the winner is…“My favorite tool when doing machine embroidery, is a baby monitor. I can run downstairs or else where in the house and be able to tell when my machine has stopped for whatever reason.” – Tammy H. (FABULOUS IDEA TAMMY!!!)

85 Comments on One Sassy Lady!

1. Vicki in MN
    September 18, 2013 at 1:16 pm (6 years ago)

I love to read and sing. I often bring my Kindle to karaoke!

2. Donna
    September 18, 2013 at 1:21 pm (6 years ago)

Quilting and reading. Sometimes reading about quilting! lol

3. Paula Roney
    September 18, 2013 at 2:07 pm (6 years ago)

I really enjoy decorative painting. I love the challenge of finding old beat up furniture at the second hand store or in the trash and remaking it into something beautiful and functional. Many of the pieces in my sewing room are old disgarded pieces that were revamped and painted to become great storage and work pieces.

4. Cynthia Wentworth
    September 18, 2013 at 2:20 pm (6 years ago)

My favorite pastimes besides embroidering are reading and needle felting. My kindle is my constant companion. Needle felting is a way to relax in the evenings while the tv runs in the background (on the music channels a lot of the time.)

5. Kimeran
    September 18, 2013 at 2:43 pm (6 years ago)

Reading, walking, babysitting grandchildren! Wandering junk stores for hidden treasures. Passing on my love of sewing to someone younger! ,

6. Mary Haggenmaker
    September 18, 2013 at 3:09 pm (6 years ago)

I like to crochet. My main crochet project(s) are made from plarn. This is the yarn you create from taking the plastic bags from the stores you go to and turning them into yarn. I then crochet them into reusable bags that can be used when you go shopping, the library,and whatever other place you might need a bag for. I then sell them at craft fairs,along with some of my embroidery items. My offspring and some of their offspring bring me all their colorful bags so I can be creative in design.

7. Maxine Mac Neill
    September 18, 2013 at 3:18 pm (6 years ago)

I like to go sit in my chair outside and look at all that was created for us. Makes me realize that we have all been given a portion of that creativity in all that we do,whether through gardening, sewing, etc.

8. Virginia
    September 18, 2013 at 6:28 pm (6 years ago)

I love teaching and sharing what I have learned over the years with friends and fellow sewers. Beging self taught I have learned some of the tricks and tips by trial and error and they appprecaite learning from me and my sharing my mistakes along the way. I love the newest Stipple cats they are adorable.

9. Susan J
    September 18, 2013 at 6:34 pm (6 years ago)

I love to read and quilt and will often listen to an audio book while I sew, allowing me to do both at the same time! I enjoy travel and visiting quilt shops wherever I go.

10. Sherrie Lilly
    September 18, 2013 at 8:09 pm (6 years ago)

When I am not sewing/embroidering I love to read. I carry my Ipad mini with me everywhere and use the Kindle app to read. Even if it is just for 10 minutes. Wish I could sew like I read, in 10 or 15 minute increments. I would get so much more done.

• Mary Haggenmaker
      September 19, 2013 at 10:09 am (6 years ago)

Hi, I was in the predicament at one time and I ended up getting the Nancy Ziemanbook, 10, 20, 30 Minutes to Sew. Very good book.

11. kathy
    September 18, 2013 at 8:10 pm (6 years ago)

I love to bake. Especially this time of year when the weather is cooler and the house smells so good!

12. Judy Wentz
    September 18, 2013 at 9:23 pm (6 years ago)

I love to quilt, travel with my husband, and read.

13. Sue Winnie
    September 18, 2013 at 9:35 pm (6 years ago)

Reading is my vice, up all night reading

14. Patty Sack
    September 18, 2013 at 9:44 pm (6 years ago)

I knit and crochet when I’m not sewing and embroidering

15. Kaye
    September 18, 2013 at 9:45 pm (6 years ago)

My other passion is genealogy, and spending time in the kitchen with my granddaughter.

16. LeAnne L
    September 18, 2013 at 9:49 pm (6 years ago)

Reading and quilting.

17. Mary
    September 18, 2013 at 9:54 pm (6 years ago)

Sewing is my first passion and I like to make clothes for our granddaughters and various quillows and pillows for the boys. Included is also crocheting and cross stitching.

18. Rachel
    September 18, 2013 at 10:13 pm (6 years ago)

Sewing, Quilting, knitting, cross-stitching, Machine Embroidering. I’m usually doing one of those whenever I can get a chance. I would be lost without them.

19. Pam Rohlfs
    September 18, 2013 at 10:18 pm (6 years ago)

GRANDCHILD!

20. Kristi D.
    September 18, 2013 at 10:30 pm (6 years ago)

Bow hunting in the fall. Love machine embroidery all year long.

21. Janie Mason
    September 18, 2013 at 11:00 pm (6 years ago)

I love sewing for my grandchildren and I love painting…. Not painting the house but painting pictures!!

22. Jackie Ames
    September 18, 2013 at 11:01 pm (6 years ago)

I love to read mysteries, and also crochet or knit baby blankets for the sailors and wives expecting their babies. That is so gratifying.

23. Pati Akers
    September 18, 2013 at 11:35 pm (6 years ago)

Hmmmmmm..My favorite things are in no particular order.. Touching fabric and creating things with fabric. Sometimes I go to my studio for some quiet time and just live in the moment with all the wonderful fabric I have accumulated. I love the feel, smell and most importantly the way fabric starts as the moth and becomes the butterfly.

24. Paula Lund
    September 18, 2013 at 11:57 pm (6 years ago)

I am an avid reader. I am also learning to do quilting, and love it. All crafts are enjoyed and I just find that creating something is a real rush.

25. Paula Lund
    September 18, 2013 at 11:58 pm (6 years ago)

I am an avid reader and am learning how to quilt. I find all crafts are rewarding as the creating of something is so great.

26. Pat Scull
    September 18, 2013 at 11:58 pm (6 years ago)

My favorite past times beside machine embroidery are Norwegian Rosemaling (painting), and doing many things on the computer.

27. Myra Williams
    September 19, 2013 at 12:24 am (6 years ago)

My fabhvorite past times besides embroidery is English smocking and reading.

28. Laurene Shewan
    September 19, 2013 at 12:59 am (6 years ago)

Genealogy and quilting; both sedentary passions. Think I need to develop some physical hobbies because none of them (including threading my embroidery machine) burn enough calories!

29. Jennifer H
    September 19, 2013 at 1:08 am (6 years ago)

I like to sing when not embroidering or working.

30. Mary
    September 19, 2013 at 1:40 am (6 years ago)

This is a no brainer – SPINNING! I recently bought a spinning wheel and have to ration my use. Otherwise I would spin all day. I absolutely love it! Spinning is so relaxing as I figured it would be.

31. Pat Allan
    September 19, 2013 at 2:19 am (6 years ago)

Machine embroidery and reading about it on my laptop.

32. Cheryl
    September 19, 2013 at 4:23 am (6 years ago)

Definitely reading. I couldn’t live without it

33. Shirl R
    September 19, 2013 at 5:29 am (6 years ago)

Singing/karaoke; reading historical novels, particularly set in the Old South, researching the web for a myriad of subjects, quilting, taking road trips, searching for treasures in thrift stores.

34. le floch, anne
    September 19, 2013 at 5:29 am (6 years ago)

Gardening, it’s my way to get fresh air after spending hours sewing/embroidering, and I can see my garden from my embroidery room, so it’s nice to be able to enjoy the result of hard work.

35. Chris
    September 19, 2013 at 5:58 am (6 years ago)

I play Mahjongg and just LOVE it. I have the perfect retirement; sewing and playing my Mahjongg.

September 19, 2013 at 5:59 am (6 years ago)

I love to read, crochet and play with my grandchildren. I also have a walking group for exercise around the neighborhood and play bingo together as well. Hugs.

37. gayle
    September 19, 2013 at 6:25 am (6 years ago)

Gardening is my other passion. I love to look out my kitchen window and see the birds and butterflies that are a attracted to my garden. Very relaxing.

38. Paulette
    September 19, 2013 at 7:12 am (6 years ago)

Shopping! My husband says I am really good at it too!

39. Shirley Hemphill
    September 19, 2013 at 7:41 am (6 years ago)

Fly fishing, fish live in the most beautiful places, it’s a quiet and peaceful hobby, I’m a catch and release kind of gal. Love tying my own fly’s and fooling the fish. Now I want to go fishing,lol.

40. Ann
    September 19, 2013 at 7:53 am (6 years ago)

My other favorite activity is reading. I have become addicted to my ereader. I also spend w-a-y too much time looking at all the sewing blogs on the web.

41. Barbara
    September 19, 2013 at 8:08 am (6 years ago)

Wow! There are so many ways to express the joy of being alive! In addition to loving my sewing room and everything I get to do there, I get excited about learning and teaching and being able to move — yoga or long walks with my husband. I’m so lucky to be able to fill my days doing things I love for and with people I love!

42. Orvalee Roe
    September 19, 2013 at 8:12 am (6 years ago)

Spending time with my 1 year old grandson. Just thinking of him makes me smile!

43. Vici Fallin
    September 19, 2013 at 8:19 am (6 years ago)

I do not think I have ever been bored, so it is hard to pin-p;oint, LOVE any needlework, needlepoint, quilting and knitting. Enjoy Painting needlepoint custom design, mainly for Churches or personel dollages. and.. gardening when it is not sooo hot.My husband says some days he would like to get into my brain and turn it off for just a while.

44. Glenda
    September 19, 2013 at 8:20 am (6 years ago)

Playing cowboys and Indians with my great grandson. He thinks Granny is just a few years older than he is. Reading is something I like to do when Cayden isn’t here.

45. Kim Alston
    September 19, 2013 at 8:33 am (6 years ago)

I love to travel to the mountains with my husband, grab my iPad and sit on the deck with a good book. Gazing all the while at the splendor of those majestic mountains and blue sky that God has given us to enjoy.

46. Frances Powell
    September 19, 2013 at 8:39 am (6 years ago)

Spending time with my 4 granddaughters is my favorite thing to do besides embroidery. Their ages are 5 1/2, 3 1/2, 2, and 4 months. There is never a dull moment when they are all together, nor is there a quiet moment. Lol.

47. Jennifer P
    September 19, 2013 at 9:01 am (6 years ago)

I would have said quilting before I had grandkids. Now my favorite thing to do is rock my grandbabies! I can hardly wait for them to grow big enough fort me make clothes for them, but I’ve embroidered some very cute onsies and some small t-shirts. When the grandbabies are not around, then I do love to quilt.

48. LindaH
    September 19, 2013 at 9:54 am (6 years ago)

Packing up our RV and heading to the mountains with my sweetheart of 42 years. Square dancing, crochet and baking.

49. Liz Fergus
    September 19, 2013 at 10:01 am (6 years ago)

Reading and playing with my grandchildren and my shih tzu. We have a grand time time together. I could do any and all three for an unlimited amount of time every day.

50. ginger
    September 19, 2013 at 10:41 am (6 years ago)

I couldn’t live without reading… my Kindle is my best friend!

51. Debbi Porter
    September 19, 2013 at 10:51 am (6 years ago)

I enjoy spending time with my family, the outdoors, sewing, painting, and my newest Zentangle.

52. Carol Seavitt
    September 19, 2013 at 11:09 am (6 years ago)

I love playing with clay and recently made a couple of story tellers for mom and dad. Also made a beautiful angel. And when sitting with my husband I enjoy knitting (just learning).

53. Colleen Gnehm
    September 19, 2013 at 11:57 am (6 years ago)

I just love my grandchildren and feel so lucky they are close. I spend whatever time I can with them. Children are precious and grow up way too fast. Yes, I spend time with the grandchildren and let the housework go.

54. Kim Heldman
    September 19, 2013 at 12:06 pm (6 years ago)

I have so many things I love it’s hard to pick one. Quilting, knitting, cooking, reading, but probably most of all is spending time with my family and my teenage granddaughters. What a delight!!

55. Mary J Chevalier
    September 19, 2013 at 12:55 pm (6 years ago)

I lovo read and to quilt.

56. Vicki B
    September 19, 2013 at 12:56 pm (6 years ago)

Definitely reading. It takes me to new places everyday.

57. Chris
    September 19, 2013 at 12:59 pm (6 years ago)

I also love to knit, and it’s something I can take on the go with me.

58. Marcie Bayhi
    September 19, 2013 at 1:24 pm (6 years ago)

I love blogging. I love that I can find info, deals and inspirational quotes. It fulfills a desire to help others live a bit of a better life or make their budget stretch enough to cover not just their needs but some of their wants too. I don’t blog as much as I would like now that I am embroidering more. I do post a lot of things on Facebook via my business fan page.

59. Sue Bray
    September 19, 2013 at 4:11 pm (6 years ago)

In depth Bible Studies

60. Cindy M
    September 19, 2013 at 5:23 pm (6 years ago)

Knitting on my knitting loom – arthritis in my thumbs keeps me from my beloved crotchet but I can grab the hook differently and still make yarn “things” with my loom!
    Listing to Audible – I love books but this lets me listen to good books while I can stay busy sewing, machine embroidering and knitting and still take in a good book!

61. C.J.
    September 19, 2013 at 6:44 pm (6 years ago)

Fabric: touching, admiring and planning for a project. Also really enjoy laughing with friends, family and a good glass of wine doesn’t hurt either. lol

62. Carol K E
    September 19, 2013 at 7:20 pm (6 years ago)

Reading, or swimming with friends.

September 19, 2013 at 8:51 pm (6 years ago)

I love to bake and cook creating in the kitchen and if the embroidery machine is humming along also even better.

64. Renae Walters
    September 19, 2013 at 9:26 pm (6 years ago)

I spend a lot of time with my grandchildren.

65. CY
    September 19, 2013 at 11:48 pm (6 years ago)

I have to say reading. I can sit with a book or magazine and be “lost” in the pages for hours. No TV, no Computer, no noise.

66. Carolyn Cohen
    September 20, 2013 at 3:21 am (6 years ago)

I love to learn. Doesn’t what it is, right now I am taking classes in oil painting along with embroidery and sewing classes when available. Love Craftsy classes.

67. Denice Weys
    September 20, 2013 at 12:31 pm (6 years ago)

Hiking and camping, even in the rain, a great way to find peace and calm. And yes that is in a tent. Next is swimming in the lake, obviously limited to summer. I do not like swimming in pools.

68. Carol Howell
    September 20, 2013 at 12:38 pm (6 years ago)

Difficult to pick just one. Reading and just about any type of crafting and being with people who do the same.

69. Maureen Kubisz
    September 20, 2013 at 1:06 pm (6 years ago)

In addition to embroidery and sewing, I like listening to podcasts and recorded books. I wore out my i-pod touch…but, of course I had an i-pod mini as a backup.

70. JudiC
    September 20, 2013 at 2:57 pm (6 years ago)

Original passion before machine embroidery was crossstitch, can take it anywhere,just need glasses & magnifying glass now…

71. debe
    September 20, 2013 at 4:00 pm (6 years ago)

Worshipping Jesus Christ my Savior & being with my DH & children & grandchildren.

72. Jane Ruhl
    September 20, 2013 at 4:40 pm (6 years ago)

It’s hard to choose, but I think watching sports may be my favorite thing. I watch baseball, college and pro football, college basketball, and even a little hockey. And the best part about watching sports is that I can indulge in some of my other favorite pastimes, like crocheting or learning to digitize, at the same time! If something exciting happens, I don’t have to worry because the replay will be right along!

73. donna delvecchio
    September 20, 2013 at 9:45 pm (6 years ago)

I also like to read, especially God’s Word,so crucial in these perilous timesI am not a cat person(I like her dog),so is a dog quilt in the works from KATHERINE? I look forward to one.

• eileenroche
      September 21, 2013 at 7:24 pm (6 years ago)

We’re encouraging her to try her hand at a dog quilt.

74. Karen Roop
    September 21, 2013 at 11:17 am (6 years ago)

I love to spend time with my grand kids (5 boys and they all live close by). I also love reading about sewing, embroidery (Dime magazine) and anything on the computer.

I just took my Craftsy class on T-shirt makeovers and I loved it. Great job Eileen.
    Karen

75. eileenroche
    September 21, 2013 at 7:23 pm (6 years ago)

Thank you, Karen!

76. Beth R
    September 22, 2013 at 4:09 pm (6 years ago)

I love reading – magazines, books, web sites …. anything I can!

77. Bernice Keller
    September 24, 2013 at 3:23 pm (6 years ago)

I love to camp when I’m not embroidering or sewing, but sometimes wish I had my machine and project along with me. I guess I’m addicted!! I am also excited to pass along my love of these crafts to my granddaughter, since her mother (my daughter) showed no interest in them growing up.

78. Cheap Digitizing
    December 11, 2013 at 12:31 pm (6 years ago)

It has nice decorative sewing……Really love it..

79. dota2hack.org
    October 26, 2014 at 5:39 am (5 years ago)

Hey there! Your site is loading lagging , this kind of went on sort of a moment to successfully load up, I
    dont know if it’s just simply me or perhaps your blog on the other hand
    facebook loaded for me. Around the other hand I appreciate you for publishing terrific articles.

I think it has already been incredibly beneficial to user who click here.
    I am hoping I’ll be able to find more awesome stuff and I should flatter
    your site by telling you have done fantastic writing.
    To get additional information through posts which you write-up, I actually have book marked the site.

80. Louisa
    November 14, 2014 at 12:08 am (5 years ago)

Hey Your web site runs up literally slow if you ask me,
    I not really know who’s issue is that however facebook starts
    up relatively fast. On the other hand I appreciate you for submitting marvelous article.
    Everybody who actually came to this website must
    have found this informative article absolutely handy.
    This is actually incredibly good what you actually have
    done on this page and want to see cool content from you.
    To get additional information through posts you write-up, I have book-marked this page.

81. 植髮
    July 22, 2015 at 11:42 am (4 years ago)

植髮手術不再是禿頭者的「專利」,愈來愈多年輕人為了「有型」而接受毛囊移植。毛髮移植醫學會理事長林宜蓉表示,過去尋求植髮者多為中壯年「雄性禿」患者,但近來30歲以下年輕族群已達4分之1。

82. Food and Beverage Logos
    August 29, 2017 at 12:13 pm (2 years ago)

Strong blog. I acquired various nice information. I?ve been keeping an eye fixed on this technology for some time. It?utes attention-grabbing the way it retains completely different, however a number of of the primary parts stay constant. have you ever observed plenty amendment since Search engines created their own latest purchase within the field?