A few of my favorite things…Tools!

December 2, 2013
By

A few of my favorite things...Tools

As an embroiderer, sewer and crafter you can never have too many tools. Here’s a look at some of my faves and a limited-time offer available to you!

Have you ever tried to cut applique with ordinary scissors? Sure, it can be done but why make it more difficult? Applique scissors are the solution! Simply slide the duck bill between the applique fabric and the base fabric to make clean precise cuts without the risk of cutting your base fabric.

Do you love adding bling to your embroidered creations? I know I do! But moving those tiny little jewels and sparkles can be a challenge with my fingers. That’s why I use a Sharp Metal Pointer and Opposable Tweezers when working with crystals.

What about thread tails or jump stitches that need to be trimmed? Bulky or heavy scissors wouldn’t be very handy or ergonomic. I’d probably skip the trimming if that was my only option! Good thing Thread Snips make it easy and convenient to handle the details. Thread Snips are super lightweight and easy to use. The narrow curved blade makes it easy to trim hard to reach or tight areas that standard scissors are too large to handle. Plus the spring-like action makes these scissors pain-free for anyone with arthritis. They are convenient for left or right handed users! Lefties should love this!

And of course, 4″ and 5 ¼” scissors are a must-have in every studio! 4″ scissors are ideal for making small precise cuts. I usually reach for these scissors when I’m cutting small squares of applique fabric or working on a fun in-the-hoop project. 6″ scissors are ideal for mid-to-large cutting needs. I like to use these scissors because they reduce hand strain compared to traditional 10″ scissors that often feel like hedge trimmers in my delicate hands!

Sure, you can get by with scissors picked up from your local craft store or even (gasp!) office supply store. But efficiency and creating a happy sewing and embroidery experience should always be the goal! With that in mind, I’ve got a deal just for you!

All 6 of the tools and scissors outlined are included in a handy carrying case and can be your free gift with the purchase of $75 or more on the Designs in Machine Embroidery website.

You can keep the kit for yourself or give as a gift! Click the link for more information.

Email this post Email this post

Top 10 Tips for Fashion Embroidery Layout
Bubble Quilt Part 2
Has this ever happened to you? (Part 3)

Tags: , , , , , ,

16 Responses to A few of my favorite things…Tools!

1. Anne Marie Reilly on December 2, 2013 at 3:59 pm

That is one great tool kit!

2. Peggy V on December 2, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I think this collection of tools is a must have for every embroiderer. Going to to leave this suggestion out for my Christmas list.

3. Mary Haggenmaker on December 2, 2013 at 9:59 pm

I think the only thing I don’t have is the sharp metal pointer. I do have the tweezers but mine are just straight and don’t have that curve on the end. I can see the usefulness of the curve.

• Patricia LaPorta on December 13, 2013 at 9:01 pm

check out the bargain bin at your hardware store, or get some dental tools…that’s what it is.

4. Greta Kanegae on December 3, 2013 at 12:46 am

I don’t have the duck billed scissors, but they look very interesting!

5. Barbara on December 3, 2013 at 7:43 am

Looks great — however, I’m left-handed and really struggle with duck-billed scissors. I’m waiting for the day someone makes left-handed duck-billed scissors!

6. Terry on December 3, 2013 at 10:00 am

The thread snips are the BEST!!! Using these snips makes it easy to get very close without cutting the fabric. I use the duck-billed scissors often too. Now all I need is the rest of the set. Happy cutting, everyone! :-)

7. Enis on December 3, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I agree, the right tool for the right job makes life so much easier. I have all of the tools in this kit except the metal pointer. I just use the tip of my seam ripper. Hmm, maybe I need the right tool for the right job!

8. Joanne Banko on December 3, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I love tools that are truly useful. The pointer tool is one of my favorite items in this set. It goes places where my fingers simply do not fit. I also appreciate the fact that this is a complete set. Grab and go and you are all set to sew! Last but not least, the bright colored case is easy to find in my mile high pile of projects in progress!

9. Tamra Botkin on December 4, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Every seamstress needs the correct tools!! These are very much a necessity! I like that the are all available in one kit. Great gift idea. PLEASE tell my husband!!HEE HEE

10. […] all the tools necessary for certain jobs she does as a crafter. Some I had never thought about. Head over to read about them. But first, share with us in the comments what your necessary tools are for your favorite […]

11. Fast Embroidery Digitizing on December 5, 2013 at 8:52 am

Nice work shown here……….
    Try the above

12. Donna G. on December 5, 2013 at 9:26 am

Must put these on my “Santa’s list”!

13. beth daniels on December 9, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I could use all of these tools. I do some applique with machine embroidery and machine embroidery designs. I could use the thread snips a lot.

14. Gail Beam on December 10, 2013 at 9:39 pm

A great set of tools! Anyone would love this set of tools!
    Gail