Stitching Lettering on Fur

Stockings-1I know thousands of embroidery machines will be humming right up until December 24th. So here’s how to handle tricky faux fur – a favorite last minute gift item.

Scroll lettering has a tendency to disappear when stitched on faux fur.  Here’s how I tackle that problem.

I used Floriani Total Control Pro to create the lettering but the steps will be same in any digitizing program. Right click on the text.  Select Create Outline from the drop down menu. Fur1

The default setting is .08” outside of the lettering. Click OK. Fur2

An outline appears around the word. Fur3

Select the outline and right click. Select Convert To Complex Fill.  Fur4

Change the Density to 2.0 and leave the stitch length at 4.0mm. Fur5

Select the Shape Tool.

Click on the fill. Move the direction of the stitches by selecting the black circle. Fur6

Drag it to the right. Fur7

Use the Select Tool to select, copy and paste the complex Fill. Fur8

Select only the second fill and change the direction of the stitches so they are at an opposing angle to the first set. In Properties, remove all underlay.  Fur9

Change the sequence of the colors so that the fill is the first color and the lettering is second. Hoop the fur and stitch color 1 in the same color as the fur since you want the fill stitches to blend into the fur. Fur10

You’re probably wondering what to do if you don’t have software.  Here’s a tip I learned from one of my smart students, Peggy Schroeder. Peggy uses it on terrycloth all of the time. Use tulle to mimic the fill stitches. Just place matching tulle (same color as the fur) over the fur. Stitch the lettering and then rip the tulle away from the text. This works pretty well as it holds the fur down under the lettering. Once the tulle is torn away though, some of the fur surrounding the text may creep over the text.  If that happens, just trim away the excess fibers around the lettering so it doesn’t obstruct the lettering.

Hope this information helps you tackle those tricky fibers!

Happy Holidays.

20 Comments on Stitching Lettering on Fur

1. Tracey Williams
    December 20, 2013 at 9:27 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you very much for these great tips for letting on fur. I was going to embroider names on stocking for my niece and nephew but was very intimidated by the process. Your timely blog gave me the confidence to do it without fear!

December 20, 2013 at 9:43 pm (4 years ago)

Your lettering looks fantastic! I am not able to create lettering in my software, but I have used tulle for years when embroidering on faux fur and terrycloth items and it works great.

3. Doree Shandera
    December 20, 2013 at 9:51 pm (4 years ago)

great instructions, as always. Thanks much, will keep this stored in a safe place.

December 21, 2013 at 6:09 am (4 years ago)

What a wonderful tip. I have struggled with this for a long time. Your lettering looks great. I must give it a try soon. Hugs.

5. Sherrie Lilly
    December 21, 2013 at 11:00 am (4 years ago)

Thanks for all of the tips. All though I don’t have Floraini software I have used the net trick. But the rest of your tricks will sure help.

6. Peggy Schroeder
    December 21, 2013 at 12:27 pm (4 years ago)

Hi Eileen, How nice it is to see my name in print with something that is actually usable! I also used the tulle on top of the cashmere scarves that I did for this Christmas. On the website where I purchased them, they said to use Floriani’s fusible wash a way. I found that using the fusible instead of the regular wash a way, left little white residue bumps on it. The care on the scarf said either dry clean or wash in cold water and let dry. I did soak it for a long time, and held it under cold running water, but that did not help. The best way, I found, was just to use regular wash away (not a film type, the mesh kind), along with the tulle on top. The tulle was easy to get out, but some of the other stabilizers were not. Anyway, they came out pretty nice, and are all wrapped for my girls at Christmas!! Thanks for all that you do, I really appreciate it. I hope you and Pete have a wonderful Christmas season.

7. Terry Senko
    December 21, 2013 at 1:16 pm (4 years ago)

Eileen, you’re a genius! Thank you so much for your generous sharing of this tip. Merry Christmas!

8. Vicky Isliefson
    December 22, 2013 at 3:25 pm (4 years ago)

If your software doesn’t have the outline function, you can also just stitch a low density fill in an oval or rectangle shape, with or without a satin stitch frame, under the lettering.

9. Nancy
    December 22, 2013 at 8:40 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you so much for the tips on doing lettering on faux fir. I’ve never tried embroidering on it but outlining and then using the fill stitches is very clever.

10. Lisha Falk
    December 23, 2013 at 8:52 pm (4 years ago)

Used your technique when attending the Bayou Embroidery University in Baton Rouge – but glad to have the tips on how to set it up in Floriani Total Control Pro as that is the program I have and use.

Thanks for sharing!

11. Darlette
    December 24, 2013 at 5:37 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks so much for your timely blogs
    They are a great help. I look forward to
    Using these techniques. Also bought
    Snowman for towels- will make nice gifts
    For after Christmas!

12. Karen M
    December 26, 2013 at 5:22 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks so much for sharing. I was trying to do the same technique with my Floriani Digitizing Pro but have not figured out how to do it. Creating the outline must only be available in total control. I haven’t given up. Love the look!

13. Denice Weys
    December 26, 2013 at 9:25 pm (3 years ago)

I have done towels with medium cut away on backside and film wash away on front but the terry does start to poke up after a few washes. I do not have software but as Vicky points out any complementary geometric shape will look good too, and your design will last longer. A gold idea.

14. Peggy Schroeder
    January 1, 2014 at 1:46 am (3 years ago)

Hi Eileen,
    Can you tell me where to purchase just the letter “C” in a very large collegiate font? My grandaughter wants only the one letter on a shirt, but she wants it really big. Thanks for your help

15. what is a pocket folder
    July 7, 2014 at 11:06 am (3 years ago)

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d without a doubt donate to this brilliant blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to new updates and will share this website with my Facebook group. Talk soon!

16. red round spots on skin
    July 9, 2014 at 8:36 am (3 years ago)

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I’ve really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

17. home
    December 11, 2016 at 8:00 am (7 months ago)

aaueozadkslbznnaxkeribzncdizn

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Stitching Lettering on Fur

1. […] to create a solid piece of stitching around the letters in a thread that matches the fur.  Go to her blog for a tutorial showing how she does this in her digitizing […]

2. […] from Eileen’s Blog from the Designs in Machine Embroidery website.  This post details how to stitch lettering on fur.  Judging by the number of embroidered Christmas stocking pictures I’ve seen this year,  a […]