Thoughtful & Quick-to-Stitch Gift Ideas for the Holiday Season

Long before the holidays spring up I have great plans for stitching gifts for family and friends. But inevitably, the hustle and bustle of preparing a Thanksgiving meal, decorating the home and fighting the crowds everywhere I go and staying within budget leaves me overwhelmed. That’s why I think finding balance and coming up with a plan are so important.

This year I’ve decided to stitch Christmas stockings. Here are 5 reasons why I love this idea and think you will too:

1. Out of the Ordinary!
    These are not your ordinary stockings from your local discount store. These stockings have a zipper from the cuff to the toe enabling you to hoop the stocking flat!

2. No need to wrap the gift!The Stocking is the wrapping and also means you don’t have to buy something massive that will be difficult to transport or ship.
  3. A little applique goes a long way!Don’t have time to stitch? Use your favorite applique design. Appliques don’t have a lot of stitching—the applique fabric becomes the focal point.
  4. Themes!Here’s where you can have some fun. Write down a list of your gift recipients in one column. Now in the second column write down their interests and activities. This will also help you determine what to stuff the stocking with. Keep in mind you don’t have to spend a lot to fill your stocking. It’s not what you spend it’s the thought you put into personalizing it. Here’s a look at gift ideas with my friends as examples:
    Name Interests Gift Ideas
    Roger Likes to grill Cooking utensils (wooden spoons, spatulas, spoon rests, spices, recipe cards, gourmet sauces
    Casey Has a sweet tooth Chocolates, cookies, hot chocolate. Pick something unusual for them to try or go ‘old school’ and select only those candies that were from their childhood. People always enjoy reminiscing over their favorite candies as a child.
    Ashton Baby’s First Christmas Baby bibs, baby bottles, booties, onesies
    Janis Loves to sew Fat quarters of fabric, interesting buttons and notions, ribbons and trim
  5. Quality “me” time for… others!Having a hard time escaping? Everyone need a piece of your time? Let them know you’re designing their gift. Besides, the time spent stitching is minimal – and this time is your opportunity to rejuvenate your creative spirit so that you can enjoy the holidays more with others!

I think you’ll agree that coming up with a plan makes the gift-giving-gift-making task less of a ‘task’ and more of an opportunity to create and have fun. Read on for tips to embrace your inner ‘creative designer’.

A little time to design!
Take a look at your design stash to see what designs you’ve collected that fit the theme for your gift recipients. Here’s your chance to get creative AND actually use your random mix of embroidery designs! Or you can choose a holiday theme – snowflakes, Christmas trees, etc.

You can also use your built-in lettering on your embroidery machines or in your embroidery software. Come up with cute sayings or stitch the person’s name with the year.

Whatever you choose, remember it’s not what you spend it’s the thought you put into personalizing it. This sure beats anything you can pick up from your local drug store or retailer!

Pick up a stocking (or two!) from Designs in Machine Embroidery!  Click here to purchase.

17 Comments on Thoughtful & Quick-to-Stitch Gift Ideas for the Holiday Season

1. Donna F
    December 13, 2013 at 1:56 pm (6 years ago)

Great idea. I think I should start January 1 for next year.

2. Karen T
    December 13, 2013 at 2:46 pm (6 years ago)

My go to simple project is embroidering my families names on bath towels. My sister has mentioned a couple of times, “are you going to any towels again?”.

3. Judy Klep
    December 13, 2013 at 5:00 pm (6 years ago)

Where do you get the stockings with the zippers?

4. Mary Haggenmaker
    December 14, 2013 at 12:12 am (6 years ago)

I would very much like to know the measurements of these stockings. My grand daughter has approached me about doing stockings for each of her 5 family members so I would like to know the size and also what material is being used..velvet I hope.

• eileenroche
      December 16, 2013 at 11:24 am (6 years ago)

Hello Mary, the stockings are 18″ tall while the cuff is 9 1/2″ wide. They are a velvet plush, closer to a velveteen and fully lined.

December 14, 2013 at 6:35 am (6 years ago)

How ingenious!! A zipper makes these the perfect blank. And I love the themed ideas for filling them. You are so very creative. Merry Christmas. Nan Weber

6. Linda
    December 14, 2013 at 9:39 am (6 years ago)

Very creative! Once again you “knocked our socks off” with such a creative idea of adding the zipper! This makes the stocking easier to sew and easier to get to the goodies! I love making Christmas gifts personal and adding the appliqués which highlight hobbies and interests is a great idea for the perfect gift!

7. Jackie Ames
    December 14, 2013 at 2:33 pm (6 years ago)

That is such a great idea….wish I had them when my kids were young, tho I’m sure the grands will love them. That is so much easier to add the names to.

8. Denice Weys
    December 14, 2013 at 4:34 pm (6 years ago)

I agree with Donna, I need to start this January for Christmas next year. You can make the stocking and fill it, no extra wrapping and lots of fun.

9. Cathy
    December 14, 2013 at 5:32 pm (6 years ago)

My favorite “go to” gift for the ladies is kitchen towels. I started stitching “seasons” so no one would end up with too many Christmas towels. This year’s season is spring.

10. Janet
    December 14, 2013 at 10:52 pm (6 years ago)

Love this I would love to have the instructions. I think everyone would

11. Mary Haggenmaker
    December 19, 2013 at 6:51 pm (5 years ago)

Granddaughter wants 5 stockings. Name on top and applique on the main body. What are the dimensions of the ones you have and how much are they?

• Mary Haggenmaker
      December 19, 2013 at 6:53 pm (5 years ago)

Is this a pattern, if so purchasing details please.

12. Sue
    December 26, 2013 at 1:52 pm (5 years ago)

I thought there was a sale on Creative Machine embroidery and Designs in Machine embroidery if you bought the two together.
    Do you have anything like that?

13. prices
    March 14, 2014 at 11:58 am (5 years ago)

Adult sex Toys for Women

14. Hoverboard UK
    July 10, 2018 at 12:39 am (11 months ago)

I think it’s a good chirstmas gift

15. adam wayne
    September 18, 2018 at 12:06 am (9 months ago)

Our team love HOVERBOARD We eat, sleep and breath For kids HOVERBOARDS ukand our passion shines through in the high quality, and fantastic style of the HOVERBOARD we have on offer, but this HOVERBOARD obsession goes deeper. We insure that all of our HOVERBOARD conform to all EU safety standards, ensuring that you can HOVERBOARD along in style, and safety. Take a look at our range of HOVERBOARD today, and in no time, walking will seem boring in comparison