Multi-Needle Monday | Sneakers

Table Top 9572Monogramming is sweeping the Southern region of the USA. My Stitching Sister Marie Zinno and recently taught in Augusta, GA and we’ll saw monogrammed cell phones, shirts, handbags, hats, shoes, boots and even automobiles.

One of our students, Bonnie Blinson, was sporting these to-die-for boots.  Boot1

She did an awesome job on those boots. She told me she just slid the boot shaft over the Quick Snap metal frame, snapped the magnets in place, held her breath and touched Start. She was delighted when it turned out perfectly, not once, but twice!

Since I didn’t have a pair of boots on hand to demo the technique, I thought I’d share a how-to on the same approach for sneakers.

Here’s what you’ll need: Quick-Snap Hooping system, tear-away stabilizer and one pair of tennis sneakers.

If there’s a label on the tongue, remove it. Measure the design area at the top of the tongue. Use this measurement to create your lettering.  The monogram on the sample, LZ, is 1.40” x 1.75” while the tongue measures 3 ¼” wide. Once you’ve selected your monogram, make sure it will fit on the tongue with open space around the monogram.

Create the monogram in software, print a template of it and audition it on the tongue.  Tape it in place or slide a Target Sticker under the template aligning the crosshairs. Make any necessary adjustments and send the design to the machine.

Remove the arms on the multi-needle machine. MMSneak1

Place the Quick Snap attachment on the machine.  MMSneak2

Tighten the gray screws as tight as they will go. MMSneak3

Select the 2” x 4” metal frame and three magnets. Place a piece of tear-away stabilizer behind the tongue and lay the tongue over the frame with the shoe at the end of the frame. Snap the magnets on the frame to hold both the stabilizer and tongue. MonoSneak4

Use the camera to locate the target sticker. Center the machine’s crosshair (on the screen) over the target sticker’s crosshair. Trace the design making sure the needle will not hit the frame or magnets.  If you have a flat surface under your machine, rest the shoe on it. MonoSneak5

Remove the target sticker.  Stay with the machine during the embroidery process.  You may have to support the weight of the shoe during the stitching. Stitch the monogram. Repeat for the second shoe.  How easy was that?

What is the most unique item you’ve monogrammed?

21 Comments on Multi-Needle Monday | Sneakers

1. barbara ann
    March 10, 2014 at 2:09 pm (6 years ago)

A few years ago, I embroidered Christmas designs on rolls of toilet paper!

2. Carol Seavitt
    March 10, 2014 at 4:41 pm (6 years ago)

My favorite though not so unique is embroidering burlap and frame it. Wonderful wedding gift.

3. Rhonda Higgins
    March 10, 2014 at 5:51 pm (6 years ago)

For Breast Cancer Awareness I was asked to help with a bra contest and to put a pair of “eyes” (like those on sleep masks) on the front of the cups.

March 10, 2014 at 9:09 pm (6 years ago)

Monograming on a piece of window screening was probably my most interesting project. I monogram beach towels for my grandchildren every year.

5. Jeanne R
    March 10, 2014 at 10:07 pm (6 years ago)

I stitched a Santa on a piece of balsa wood as a Christmas card.

6. Lynn
    March 10, 2014 at 11:45 pm (6 years ago)

I have embroidered on a piece of bark. The recipient was so thrilled and showed so many people I finished up with a naked tree trunk.

7. Carole Baker
    March 11, 2014 at 6:36 am (6 years ago)

I really need to do this, but I need that hoop!

8. Barbara Jones
    March 11, 2014 at 6:36 am (6 years ago)

Wow! I’m ready to try this! (anything for an excuse to go shoe shopping)

9. Donna f.
    March 11, 2014 at 9:17 am (6 years ago)

Make up bags for bridesmaid gifts was my most unusual

10. Carolyn morgan
    March 11, 2014 at 12:56 pm (6 years ago)

I haven’t embroidered too many monograms. My challenge were men’s handkerchiefs.

11. Pamela Black
    March 11, 2014 at 5:03 pm (6 years ago)

I haven’t embroidered any monograms. But was wondering do you think I could do the tennis shoes on my Ellisimo Gold? I would love to try that! Or the gal with the boots.

Thank you all for the great ideas!

12. Jean
    March 11, 2014 at 6:35 pm (6 years ago)

Quick Snap frames are great! I have used them for everything from headbands to dance bags. Great embellishment idea for sneakers.

March 11, 2014 at 7:20 pm (6 years ago)

I have a single needle machine and have done toilet paper, baseball hats and 5 inch monograms on bean bag chairs.I also quilted a 60″x 70″ quilt on it.

14. Joyce Hardiman
    March 12, 2014 at 4:50 pm (6 years ago)

a stuffed teddy bear

15. Tamra Botkin
    March 13, 2014 at 7:21 pm (6 years ago)

I have done monograms on a towel. I had to try it! It tickled me to see how monograms made the towel become beautiful. I plan on trying different color combinations and sizes of letters too.

16. Pamela Black
    March 19, 2014 at 1:35 pm (6 years ago)

Hi Eileen,

Could I possible do the sneakers on my Ellisimo Baby Lock Embroidery machine? I think this would be wonderful for our Hospital Quilt Guild trying to raise money for scholarships for the local teenagers in the area to go to nursing school and/or anything related to hospitals. I love seeing the new stuff you come up with. Thank you for sharing.

17. Dexter
    April 4, 2014 at 12:23 pm (6 years ago)

The most Unusual Items I Embroidered was a set of Lugguage! It turned out Awesome! No Problems Finding My Bags at the Airport!

18. Felicity Kerr
    May 24, 2014 at 9:49 pm (6 years ago)

Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon on a daily basis. It will always be interesting to read through articles from other writers and use something from other sites.

19. Elaine
    May 1, 2015 at 12:50 pm (5 years ago)

Hi Eileen, what size needle did you use when embroidering the boots – i have been too scared to try it yet

20. Fritz Jandrey
    August 13, 2016 at 11:59 am (3 years ago)

This site was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found something which helped me. Cheers!|