Multi-Needle Monday | Applique and Onesies – Oh, My!

Applique and stitching on onesies have always challenged my multi-needle machine skills. First, trimming applique in those deep standard hoops is tricky on a small item. I can’t seem to get my scissors to trim close enough to the stitch line in those hoops without nipping the base fabric. And of course, hooping a onesie when the design requires a larger than 4” x 4” hoop is almost impossible. Multi-Needle Monster Hoop solves both of those problems. Let me show you how.

Iron fusible polymesh stabilizer to the wrong side of the onesie shirt front extending the stabilizer above the neckline if your design has to stitch close to the ribbing.

Tape the embroidery design template onto the onesie. I use PAL to make sure the template is square on the garment before I tape it down. One1-1

Slide the magnetic frame (magnets side up) inside the shirt.   Place the metal Monster Hoop frame on top, aligning the frames. One2

Lift the frame and pull the back of the onesie over the frame. The metal arms of the frame will hold the onesie in place. One3

Check the back of the hoop to make sure nothing is caught under the hoop. Attach the hoop to the machine, center the design on the template’s crosshair and begin to stitch the applique. One4

After tacking down the applique fabric, remove the hoop and place it on a flat surface while trimming. Hold the hoop by the metal arms, not the frames, while transporting the hoop. One5

Reattach the hoop to the machine and slide your hand under the design area to make sure nothing is caught under the hoop. One6

There you have it! Never been easier. One7

17 Comments on Multi-Needle Monday | Applique and Onesies – Oh, My!

1. Donna Fecteau
    April 28, 2014 at 2:33 pm (5 years ago)

Wish I had a multi needle machine!

2. Susan Winnie
    April 28, 2014 at 8:54 pm (5 years ago)

Where’s this appliqué from? Love it!

3. Susie Mackenberg
    April 28, 2014 at 9:41 pm (5 years ago)

Slick! How do people do this without a multi-needle? It has to be nearly impossible on a flat bed….

April 28, 2014 at 9:59 pm (5 years ago)

Love your onsie applique!

5. barbara ann
    April 28, 2014 at 11:14 pm (5 years ago)

good info. thx

6. Connie Beale
    April 29, 2014 at 8:01 am (5 years ago)

Thank you so much for the info! I have this exact machine, and would love to purchase this hoop. You just made up my mind for me!

7. b tucker
    April 29, 2014 at 9:12 am (5 years ago)

Did you stitch over/on the template?

Cute design!

8. Mary Haggenmaker
    April 30, 2014 at 11:36 am (5 years ago)

In the past 6 mos. I have acquired 3 great grandsons. Where do I find the tie design?

9. Patty Stonesifer
    May 3, 2014 at 11:21 am (5 years ago)

I desperately need help ladies. I’m new to sewing and embroidery. I’m mostly self taught and trial and error. My daughter in law asked for a applique shirt for my granddaughter. I have done two, so far but without success(to my standard). Just 6 hrs on the 1st one! LOL. It takes so much time searching the web for answers and watching how to videos. Here are my questions, do I cut out my fabric for each template color, or just lay a piece of fabric over the area and after the 1st stitch around,take it out and trim? I used a cutaway stabilizer and after the design was sewn the stabilizer has wrinkles or puckering. Of course it shows through the thin white shirt in front.I have taken pictures if I can post them or send them for advice.

10. best ip Camera in the world
    May 7, 2014 at 12:41 am (5 years ago)

That is a very good tip particularly to those new to the blogosphere.
    Short but very accurate information… Many
    thanks for sharing this one. A must read post!

11. Panda Cheats
    May 31, 2014 at 12:20 am (5 years ago)

Hi, after reading this awesome piece of writing i am also glad to share my know-how here
    with mates.

12. personalized pocket folders
    July 7, 2014 at 11:02 am (5 years ago)

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely excellent. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it smart. I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is really a terrific website.

13. clay healing properties
    July 12, 2014 at 6:20 am (5 years ago)

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

14. seo website
    July 14, 2014 at 11:46 am (5 years ago)

I am no longer positive where you are getting your information, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or figuring out more. Thanks for excellent information I was on the lookout for this information for my mission.

15. door draft
    July 22, 2014 at 10:57 am (5 years ago)

Can I simply say what a aid to find somebody who actually is aware of what theyre talking about on the internet. You undoubtedly know how one can deliver a difficulty to mild and make it important. More individuals have to read this and perceive this facet of the story. I cant imagine youre not more well-liked since you positively have the gift.

16. Emilee Lu
    October 20, 2014 at 9:21 am (5 years ago)

Magnificent web site. Plenty of helpful info here. I am sending it to several pals ans additionally sharing in delicious. And naturally, thanks on your effort!