Multi-Needle Monday | The Dreaded Error Message

Stitching grinds to a halt and the dreaded error message appears. Check upper and bobbin thread error message

Here’s my method for unearthing the problem. First, check the needle thread and make sure the needle is still threaded. Checking that needle is still threaded

Then take a look at the upper thread path and make sure the thread did not pop out of a tension disc or thread guide. If all is well above the needle, look below the fabric and open the bobbin case. Often, my problem is solved at this moment – the bobbin is empty! That’s a simple fix with a fresh bobbin. Bobbin

If the bobbin is not empty, then look at the bobbin case a bit more closely. Remove the bobbin and then brush the inside of the case. Empty bobbin case

Once it’s clean, take a business card or thin – VERY THIN – piece of plastic (no thicker than a standard business card) and slide it under the tension adjusting spring. Bobbin5

Bobbin6

Often, lint or fibers get caught in the spring and it effects the tension on the bobbin thread. In fact, it’s a good idea to clean the tension adjusting spring every time you change bobbins.

Once it’s clean, reinsert the bobbin and check the stitches under the needle. Touch the needle advance key and go back to the last stitch that was laid down prior to the break. And believe it or not – those steps solve the problem – almost every time! These multi-needle machines are amazing.

15 Comments on Multi-Needle Monday | The Dreaded Error Message

1. Belinda Germain
    May 5, 2014 at 3:55 pm (5 years ago)

If those things do not work you should check under the needle plate for bits of thread in and around the knife and the bobbin area.

2. eileenroche
    May 5, 2014 at 5:33 pm (5 years ago)

Great tip, thank you Belinda.

May 5, 2014 at 8:26 pm (5 years ago)

Be sure you DO NOT anything larger than a business card to clean the bobbin case…..when they go phooey it’s expensive and may take awhile if you have to order it. I use a dollar bill if I cannot find a suitable card or paper. He did touch lightly on the thread jumping from the tension area….has happened to me a couple times and it’s so time consuming to narrow it down.

4. Clarice
    May 6, 2014 at 9:20 am (5 years ago)

Those “fixes” almost always work for me. Thank you, Clarice

5. Cathy
    May 6, 2014 at 9:43 am (5 years ago)

Good tips – Hopefully it is just an empty bobbin.

6. Royce Zook
    May 6, 2014 at 9:55 am (5 years ago)

These are very good tips and likely should be exercised on a regular basis. It may not keep you “safe” from having the experience but may reduce the frequency.

7. Shelly Christensen
    May 6, 2014 at 6:08 pm (5 years ago)

these have always helped me except on one of my needles #4 is very tempermental, what else I can check after these don’t stop it? I have rethreaded the needle, used different thread and sometimes it helps for a while but then starts up again…. I am puzzled!!!!

• Royce Zook
      May 8, 2014 at 11:29 am (5 years ago)

It may not be the answer but try replacing the #4 needle with a new one. Sometimes the needle is responsible for more problems than imagined.

8. Carolyn morgan
    May 10, 2014 at 8:00 pm (5 years ago)

I also suggest you purchase an extra bobbin case. I dropped mine and didn’t realize it was no longer round. I got the error message every time I loaded a new bobbin. The service tech at my dealer diagnosed my problem over the phone. I thought I had warped per-wound bobbins because they would drag when I pulled the thread at the start.! DUH!

• joyce lockyer
      September 11, 2014 at 7:32 am (5 years ago)

Good advice! I do not live near my dealer or service center so ordering a second bobbin case is a great idea.

Joyce

9. Eileen M
    May 20, 2014 at 12:13 pm (5 years ago)

I look at the last stitch to see if the bobbin thread has pulled to the top, a sure sign of an empty bobbin. Then I follow the above steps.

10. presentation folders
    July 7, 2014 at 11:05 am (5 years ago)

I’m not sure where you’re getting your information, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for excellent information I was looking for this info for my mission.

11. rap instrumentals beats
    July 16, 2014 at 5:50 am (5 years ago)

Its like you read my thoughts! You appear to understand so much about this, such as you wrote the guide in it or something. I think that you just can do with some % to drive the message home a little bit, however instead of that, this is magnificent blog. An excellent read. I will definitely be back.

12. zAaqd
    July 30, 2014 at 11:34 am (5 years ago)

7888 447137Hey there. I want to to ask slightly something

13. Freelancers Script
    August 29, 2017 at 9:25 am (2 years ago)

With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright violation? My site has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either authored myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my agreement. Do you know any techniques to help prevent content from being stolen? I’d really appreciate it.