Monogram of the Month

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Don’t you love June? The early days of June sweep in thoughts of sunny skies, blue waters and light breezes. When I spotted the Scrollwork Alphabet #12511 from http://www.embroideryonline.com, I couldn’t help but think of ways to use this swirling fresh alphabet. Wouldn’t it look great on a porch pillow, beach tote or picnic table linens? I opted to stitch it on a traditional kitchen towel.

But why HQ? Why not? The poor letter Q – it hardly ever gets stitched on fabric, it just sits in the digital collection waiting for Mrs. Quinn to stop by and download it. I might not be a Quinn but I do have a headquarters. My kitchen is the heart of my home – headquarters for all kinds of activity.  I thought it would be fun to display the HQ towel and see how many people ask, “Whose initials are HQ?”

Actually, if I know my gang, they won’t even ask, they’ll just assume it’s another of my embroidery blunders!

In all seriousness, the letter Q has an overlooked detail – that of a descender. When working with initials that include descenders (elements that fall below the text baseline) such as the letter Q, pay attention to the size of the letters as the body of the Q may be smaller than other initials.  Open Scrollwork Alphabet HQ in BERNINA Embroidery Software DesignerPlus or other embroidery editing software.  Notice how the Q does not sit on the same baseline as the H.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery BlogSelect the Q and increase the size so that the body is the same height as the other letter. For my use, it doesn’t matter where the tail of the Q will land, I’m just stitching one line on a towel but that’s not always the case in other applications.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

If another line of text or a frame was below the monogram, then take the beard line into consideration. The beard line is the tip of the descender.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Next, focus on the space between the two letters.  Since some scrolls extend beyond the actual letters, consider linking the letters through the scrolls.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Zoom in to get a clear picture of the connection.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Now, rotate the design to fit in the hoop and stitch the design.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

June….it’s never been prettier!

If you owned the Scrollwork Alphabet from EmbroideryOnline, where would you stitch the designs?  What thread colors would you use?  One comment will be randomly selected and will win a copy of Machine Embroidery in 6 Easy Lessons.

The winner of last week’s assignment answered the following question:What is your favorite go-to gift? One comment will be chosen to receive a $25 gift certificate to spend on the DIME website. Thanks for reading and good luck!The winner is:  Donna G.
Kitchen and bath towels are the go-to gift I use most often but I like the idea of personalized napkins!

67 Comments on Monogram of the Month

1. Belinda Germain
    June 4, 2014 at 7:04 pm (6 years ago)

This would look great on pillow shams, HIS and HERS, or MR. and MRS. for a newlywed couple or a bridal shower

2. Kristal
    June 4, 2014 at 7:04 pm (6 years ago)

I would use varigated thread and stitch on tote bags and beach towels.

3. Ellen
    June 4, 2014 at 7:10 pm (6 years ago)

Love the font
    Would use the font on bath towels
    Ellen

4. Ann
    June 4, 2014 at 7:10 pm (6 years ago)

I would try it on a wedding gift..towels, pillow cases, pillows

5. Cathy
    June 4, 2014 at 7:33 pm (6 years ago)

Bath towels for Christmas and Wedding gifts. Receipents bathroom or wedding colors.

6. Jane Jarvis
    June 4, 2014 at 7:33 pm (6 years ago)

I would use on the covers for the back of chairs for my diningroom I’m planing to make.

7. Lorie
    June 4, 2014 at 8:13 pm (6 years ago)

I would stitch this using variegated thread on a tote bag.

8. Cynthia S
    June 4, 2014 at 9:15 pm (6 years ago)

I would stitch an “M” and a small “om” for Mom.

9. JudiC
    June 4, 2014 at 9:19 pm (6 years ago)

I do not have the scrollwork alphabet, although I do love it. I have a backpack I have been waiting to monogram, it is pink & gray so I would use pink & black thread.

10. Carol Bartlem
    June 4, 2014 at 9:34 pm (6 years ago)

I would embroider the scroll work alphabet on some bags I am going to make for my Laundry. I would use a R/aA variegated thread

11. Karen Misner
    June 4, 2014 at 9:35 pm (6 years ago)

I would be using this alphabet on pillows, towels, tote bags, etc, etc…!
    It’s beautiful!

12. Diane Willey
    June 4, 2014 at 9:52 pm (6 years ago)

I would put this font as a monogram on the side of a tote bag.

13. Joanne Banko
    June 4, 2014 at 9:59 pm (6 years ago)

Hi Eileen, Thankfully, I already have a copy of your wonderful Machine Embroidery in Six Easy Lessons book. I believe every embroidery machine owner should have a copy and practice each of these steps for successful stitching.

Now for my comment, I had to laugh when I read your bit about Mrs. Quinn. One of my cherished students is “Mrs. Quinn”. In fact, she just brought in her version of the DIME Volume 82 Linked In Style handbag for show and tell. Her rendition was done in a faux leather skin print. It was stunning! Actually, she is the second student of mine to make that same beautiful bag.

As for the scrolling letters, they are really classy. I would use them on sheets and pillowcases, probably blue thread on white fabric.

14. Darlene Pino
    June 4, 2014 at 10:00 pm (6 years ago)

On the center of a quilt or comforter with matching pillow shams.

On a dog bed. How elegant would that be?

15. Barbara G.
    June 4, 2014 at 10:02 pm (6 years ago)

I would put it on cuffs of a men’s shirt. Or I could see it on the pocket. Or how about on a man’s wallet. I would use an ecru colored thread or match the color of the shirt. Gee, my mind is reeling with all the ideas. Thanks for jarring my mind. Yes, it is beautiful.

16. Judy G
    June 4, 2014 at 10:19 pm (6 years ago)

I would use the Scrollwork Monogram on pillow cases/shams or something made up in linen fabric. I would want the crispness of the fabric to help highlight the details in the font. I’m afraid it would get lost in fabric with a nap.

17. Mary S
    June 4, 2014 at 10:20 pm (6 years ago)

Maybe on the piano bench cover, or a delightful bed pillow with some go along borders. Thread color would have to be a blue shade since both rooms are blue.

18. Darlene LaMaster
    June 4, 2014 at 10:34 pm (6 years ago)

Would be very cute on beach bag or tote.

19. Jennifer P
    June 4, 2014 at 10:38 pm (6 years ago)

I can easily see the letters in a bed runner for my newly married daughter. I just finished making some curtains for her house, including the master, so I could easily make a matching bed runner with left over fabric.

20. Sue Reents
    June 4, 2014 at 10:54 pm (6 years ago)

I would embroidery these beautiful letters on pillow shams as I am in the process of making new ones. I also think it would look nice on pillows on my front porch on my wicker bench.

21. Jeanne R
    June 4, 2014 at 11:00 pm (6 years ago)

I would love to stitch it on a messenger bag in BIG letters!

22. Jean
    June 5, 2014 at 2:45 am (6 years ago)

These would look great on my black tote bag using bright yellow thread.

23. Wanda H Leffingwell
    June 5, 2014 at 4:23 am (6 years ago)

this would look good on anything I wanted to embroidery for gifts

June 5, 2014 at 5:38 am (6 years ago)

What a beautiful alphabet for monogramming! I think it would look great on any project, but especially on tote bags, towels and table linens.

25. Cathy Ford
    June 5, 2014 at 5:50 am (6 years ago)

I would use it for my daughter’s wedding reception and make items with her new monogram on them, or do the traditional thing and combine his name and her name on the monograms. Thanks for the lovely lesson!

26. melinda
    June 5, 2014 at 7:53 am (6 years ago)

It’s just my style, so I would put it on something of my own, like a tote or purse or maybe a shirt.

27. Linda
    June 5, 2014 at 7:59 am (6 years ago)

When I saw these I thought what a great idea for lettering on canvas to use in my son’s office. They just bought a new home and I loved the letters that were done in the last DIME Magazine! These would look great in black and give it the look for a “home office”.

28. Carole D
    June 5, 2014 at 8:32 am (6 years ago)

Beautiful font! I would stitch it on a set of towels I need to make for wedding shower gift.

29. NancyS
    June 5, 2014 at 9:44 am (6 years ago)

I would use the Scrollwork alphabet to monogram dinner napkins as gifts. I make generous-sized napkins out of linen and miter the corners. They make a nice gift, but this monogram would certainly kick them up a notch!

30. Valerie Gwara
    June 5, 2014 at 9:49 am (6 years ago)

love this font! On a tote bag, or porch cushions!

31. Patricia Chambers
    June 5, 2014 at 10:04 am (6 years ago)

I have a friend in a rest home and their throws are often taken. I would make her one with her monogram on it and they could find it easily or it would also not be as tempting to take.
    PS. I love your sight

32. Pat Snyder
    June 5, 2014 at 11:40 am (6 years ago)

This information is excellent! I often have to use letters that go above/below/outside the baselines for monogramming.

Additionally, I prefer my designs to overlap where appropriate. Your scrolls worked into each other is excellent. I don’t want the H or Q to overlap, but the scroll gives the feeling of attachment (to each other) IMHO.

33. Sheila Preville
    June 5, 2014 at 1:04 pm (6 years ago)

Just the right kind of alphabet to put on the brim of my floppy straw beach hat; not too dense.

34. Vicky Isliefson
    June 5, 2014 at 1:30 pm (6 years ago)

I would put it on a quilt that I plan to make for my new granddaughter. The quilt colors are several pastels, so I would use shades a bit darker so the letters would stand out.

35. Debbie
    June 5, 2014 at 1:35 pm (6 years ago)

I have really been wanting to get some pool towels going, and these letters would be fun!

36. Pam
    June 5, 2014 at 1:36 pm (6 years ago)

Gorgeous. I would do on pillow cases in the colors of the comforter.

37. Barb Miller
    June 5, 2014 at 2:17 pm (6 years ago)

I would make a banner for my granddaughters birthday in August. I would also use it for a picture on the wall of her bedroom with her name.

June 5, 2014 at 4:15 pm (6 years ago)

These scrollwork letters would be magnificent on towels, totes, bed linens and purses using metallic or variegated threads.

39. Mary Ann Genre
    June 5, 2014 at 4:52 pm (6 years ago)

I would love to have throw pillows monogramed with this alphabet. I think it is beautiful.

40. Dale Fedor
    June 5, 2014 at 6:17 pm (6 years ago)

I would use a B & Q on a small sign/wall hanging for a teacher. She/he could tell the students at the beginning of the semester that the hanger means “Be Quiet”. Then the rest of the year, she/he would only have to point to the hanger to get some quiet!. I would probably use red & black thread so that it can be seen.

41. Jill Turner
    June 5, 2014 at 6:49 pm (6 years ago)

My adult daughter and I share clothes. So I use our last name initial “T” on clothing. I think would be pretty on a T-shirt. Either top center or left bottom.

42. Peggy Schroeder
    June 5, 2014 at 10:22 pm (6 years ago)

Hi Eileen, I would most likely put it on kitchen and bath towels. I like green or black thread, but other colors are nice too. By the way, I am coming to your seminar in Sacramento next week, I am bring my friend Pat again, along with my cousin Sally. It will be the 3rd time I have attended, and the 2nd for Pat. I am sure, even after attending previous classes, we will still learn a lot. We are really looking forward to it. Wonder if we will get the front row again? See you SOON!

43. Susan Margeson
    June 6, 2014 at 10:14 am (6 years ago)

Greetings Eileen. I think the showcased monogram would look stunning on a accent pillow for any room in the house.. one or multiple initials. Thanks for sharing.

44. Barb Torrey
    June 6, 2014 at 10:52 am (6 years ago)

What a gorgeous monogram! I would certainly use it on wedding gift linens, pillow shams, pillow cases and sheets. I would use it on my tote bags and kitchen towels as well. Wouldn’t it be pretty on a linen fingertip towel for a hostess gift? Love it!

45. Deanna
    June 6, 2014 at 12:05 pm (6 years ago)

I would use them on kitchen towels, pillowcases and pillows.

46. Joaniez
    June 6, 2014 at 12:25 pm (6 years ago)

I’ve bought the Zentangles alphabet from OESD. I’ve used it to make initials for my granddaughters and I framed them.

47. Dorothy
    June 6, 2014 at 12:39 pm (6 years ago)

I would use it on the next pillow I make for my grandson. He likes his “little pillows” and I would use variegated thread on a dark background this time.

48. Pat O
    June 6, 2014 at 12:47 pm (6 years ago)

This lovely font would make terrific life sentiments pillows for the couch or bedroom. Sentiments such as RELAX, DREAM, or BEAUTY combined with this font could enhance the feeling you get from the words alone. I like the idea so much, I may just make some for my own home.

49. Lynda Morrissette
    June 6, 2014 at 4:59 pm (6 years ago)

I would love an easy lettering program Thanks

50. Lynda Morrissette
    June 6, 2014 at 5:06 pm (6 years ago)

I would use it to make a quilt label. Thanks

51. Jimelle
    June 6, 2014 at 8:06 pm (6 years ago)

I would use it on decorative pillows or wall hangings to spell out words like HOPE, DREAM

52. Doreen
    June 6, 2014 at 9:18 pm (6 years ago)

I would embroider it on a black pillow with gold and pink thread.

53. Jean
    June 7, 2014 at 7:31 am (6 years ago)

I’m a quilter. So I bought and use the letters on alphabet quilts. Have used every color of the rainbow to embroider them.

54. Colleen
    June 7, 2014 at 10:23 am (6 years ago)

I use fonts like this or would use this font on towels, tea towels, pillow cases.

55. Berenice
    June 7, 2014 at 10:53 am (6 years ago)

I like the scrolling! I would use it on dress bags or totes. I could see using multiples sizes to do large monograms on a soft sided suitcase or weekender bag. Can you tell yesterday was the last day of school and I have vacation on my mind???

56. Audrey P.
    June 7, 2014 at 7:17 pm (6 years ago)

I like to make heirloom hankies for the bride to carry down the aisle. The scroll alphabet would be lovely on that or on a christening gown.

57. Wanda Rohle
    June 7, 2014 at 8:20 pm (6 years ago)

I would love it for a design on a porch swing cushion.

58. Kathy Schmidt
    June 7, 2014 at 10:12 pm (6 years ago)

I have a jacket I would love to ad my initials to. The jacket is black and I love the color pink so of course for me the initials would be in shades of pink

59. susan a Lorio
    June 8, 2014 at 8:41 am (6 years ago)

I would stitch on a floppy straw hat using fun summer colors like hot coral and lime green.

60. Samantha Tate
    June 8, 2014 at 2:40 pm (6 years ago)

If I owned this set, I would use it on flags. I’ve been looking for just the right font to do the triangle flags. My daughter does craft events and this font would look great spelling out her booth’s name.
    I would do it in black on yellow which are her logo colors.

61. Alicia Key
    June 8, 2014 at 7:10 pm (6 years ago)

It’s a beautiful font, I’ve added it to my “wishlist”. Towels would be pretty with these letters, as you’ve done. Or totes or hand bags, or even that clutch in your book with the lace design on it. Substitute the letters for the lace on one side!

62. Patty
    June 11, 2014 at 7:58 am (6 years ago)

I would use this monogram on outdoor furniture. I would use navy, light blue and silver thread colors.

63. Deb
    August 11, 2014 at 10:31 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve been exploring for some time for top quality articles or
    blog posts on this kind of area. Exploring in Yahoo
    I at last came across this website. Reading this info made me discovered just what I wanted.
    I will visit your website often.

64. Reggie
    August 28, 2014 at 6:21 am (5 years ago)

Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after browsing through some of the post
    I realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m definitely glad
    I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back often!

65. glucosamine
    September 1, 2014 at 5:31 pm (5 years ago)

Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the net the easiest thing to be aware of.

I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people think about worries that they just do
    not know about. You managed to hit the nail upn the top and defined out the whole thingg without
    having side effect , people can take a signal.

Wiill probably be back to get more. Thanks

66. Wanda Leffingwell
    March 6, 2015 at 3:01 pm (5 years ago)

would use it on set of towels in pink for my Sister whom has Breast cancer and starting her Chemo on 3/13/2015

67. gratis sex
    January 14, 2016 at 1:24 am (4 years ago)

Ur websit is much interesting for me. i will thnx you very much for posting this awesome info.