Thoughts to Ponder

Cal15-rev2Subtle text messages are a lovely way to add sentiments to gifts, home décor accessories or even wearables.   A romantic mood can be set with the right fabric, color selection, charms, ribbons and trims. I enjoyed making these small projects – the fun is in the creating and ok, the gathering of the goodies! Cal14-rev

Let me show you how easy it is to do. Open an embroidery lettering software program. I used Calligraphy Project Designer – designed for simple text creation with an Old World spin. Click on the Font icon to enter the text. Select a font and click Apply.

Cal1

Left mouse click on the blue triangles to pull the text closer together to mimic handwriting.

Cal3

Select the Ink Spots icon and left click on Heart 3 (highlighted in yellow in the image). Click OK.

Cal4

Size the heart to 2.94” x 2.90” by dragging a corner handle or typing the measurement into the Properties Box. Click Apply.

Cal5

Select and rotate the text. Cal6

Change the thread color to the actual thread you’ll use if desired. Click on the color chip on the right bar and select the appropriate color from the drop down menu. Click OK.

Cal7

My intention is for the heart to be the backdrop of the text so I’ll send that color to the first position. Select the heart, left mouse click and select Order/To Back from the drop down menu.

Cal8

Send the design to the machine in the appropriate format and hoop linen with cut-away stabilizer. Stitch the design. Remove the fabric from the hoop and trim the fabric leaving a 1” border. Cal9-rev

Trim the stabilizer close to the stitching. Cal10-rev

Sew around the square ½” from the fabric edge. Cal11-rev

Fray the linen on all four sides. Cal12-rev

Stitch the patch to a card stock tag. Add brads, charms and ribbon if desired.  Cal16-rev

What fun!

Tags are a great way to add flair and function to lots of different items. Luggage, lunch bags, laptop cases, gift bags and even tackle boxes are brightened by their warm welcoming appearance. Share with us an item you would like to create a tag for but haven’t quite been able to figure out how. We or one of our readers might just have your perfect solution and 5 comments will be chosen to receive a $20 gift certificate to spend at Five Star Fonts!

FSF_140wX240h

The winner of last week’s assignment is:

What is your most appreciated mens embroidery project? Was it the golf club covers you made for your son-in-law, the personalized seat covers for your husband? Tell us the project that wowed and one comment will be chosen to receive a $25 gift certificate to spend on the DIME website. Thank you for reading and good luck!

Gift-Card

And the winners is..Sharon B. “My husband liked the golf towel with the club distances on it.”

33 Comments on Thoughts to Ponder

1. Donna Fecteau
    June 18, 2014 at 3:21 pm (5 years ago)

My dad’s chair at the table! Visitors sit in his chair and it really seems to bother him. Or maybe my water bottle for the office fridge! Wow this is a great idea.

• Soph
      June 18, 2014 at 4:10 pm (5 years ago)

I have a great idea for your dad’s chair–I make mini ‘quilts’ for chair backs—embroidery something unique to your dad for the chair. As we get older, it becomes more and more difficult to adjust to changes—this might help folks identify it as NOT the chair to sit in.

2. mad14kt
    June 18, 2014 at 3:24 pm (5 years ago)

Fishing towels for my dad…FIESTA 🙂

3. Diane W
    June 18, 2014 at 4:57 pm (5 years ago)

Sewing machine or rolling tote.

4. Cathy
    June 18, 2014 at 5:37 pm (5 years ago)

My jump/zip drives that hold my embroidery designs. I have several and need to organize so I know what is on each drive.

5. Sally Hudson
    June 18, 2014 at 5:39 pm (5 years ago)

the Baby blanket I made for my son daughter (my 3rd granddaughter) it was the alphabet in bugs – corners were her name, birth date, Mom’s name, Dad’s name – gave it to her on her 1st birthday – she had come 6 weeks early and weight 4 and half pounds – She is joy and now has a baby brother to spoil.

6. Valerie Gwara
    June 18, 2014 at 6:13 pm (5 years ago)

Wine Bottle (my b-i-l doesn’t like to share)

7. Bonita velasco
    June 18, 2014 at 6:32 pm (5 years ago)

A quilt with emb old cars

8. Marta Tapanes
    June 18, 2014 at 8:24 pm (5 years ago)

My walkie talkie at school! I am a school administrator and when the administrative team gets together and we set our walkies down they get mixed up and picked up! We can’t use sharpies on them and I have been trying to figure out a way to personalize mine. Everyone else is using stickers but I don’t like the way they look. I think these little tags will be perfect!

9. kbo
    June 18, 2014 at 8:34 pm (5 years ago)

I’d really like to make a tag for my husband’s Willy’s 1959 tent trailer he welded, and sewn all by himself. This project was self taught and it’s a very impressive camping unit. I’m not sure where to put the tag nor what to say about this job well done.

10. Mary Wenzel
    June 18, 2014 at 9:01 pm (5 years ago)

Love you tip and ideas

11. Denise
    June 18, 2014 at 9:19 pm (5 years ago)

The kids bikes would be fun.! Kindles, iPads? Maybe with an elastic band of some kind sewn on to the tag. Also my son just got a moped it would be fun to figure out a way to personalize it for him some how!

12. Shirley Clark
    June 18, 2014 at 10:02 pm (5 years ago)

My friend wants to make a patch for a Pottery Barn backpack, but she doesn’t want to sew or stitch it on the backpack for fear of messing it up.
    What would be the best way to attach the patch to the backpack?

13. Mary S
    June 18, 2014 at 10:02 pm (5 years ago)

How about on totes with fabric stash or embellishments or my lap top case.

14. Donna G.
    June 18, 2014 at 10:52 pm (5 years ago)

My scissors! I have lots of them I use in classes, and would like to find an ID tag that doesn’t interfere with cutting.

June 18, 2014 at 11:06 pm (5 years ago)

I would like to make an ID tag for my granddaughter’s sports bag.

16. Freddie Lloyd
    June 18, 2014 at 11:21 pm (5 years ago)

someway to make a tag identifiable to my Grandson that tells him what tote to pick that carries his toys for travel

17. Beth R
    June 18, 2014 at 11:23 pm (5 years ago)

I want to make a label for my laptop bag – just to make it look official!

18. Teresa Rizzo
    June 19, 2014 at 2:48 am (5 years ago)

I would love to embroider luggage tags. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve pulled the wrong luggage off or watched my luggage go around and around thinking it wasn’t mine.

19. Wanda H Leffingwell
    June 19, 2014 at 6:23 am (5 years ago)

My tool bag

20. Patty
    June 19, 2014 at 8:04 am (5 years ago)

I like the scissor idea. I would also like to tag a baby stroller!

21. Anne Marie Reilly
    June 19, 2014 at 9:36 am (5 years ago)

I made him a remote holder that goes over the arm of his recliner.

22. Clarice
    June 19, 2014 at 9:36 am (5 years ago)

This is really a great idea! I’m thinking I could use this idea as labels on stadium blankets that I make. Thanks, Clarice

23. Pam
    June 19, 2014 at 11:45 am (5 years ago)

I need to make a tag for my granddaughter’s dance bag. She is on a competitive team starting this fall…

24. Charlotte Silber
    June 19, 2014 at 5:24 pm (5 years ago)

For my daughters they travel alot, would be great to find their bags quickly.

25. Mary Ann Genre
    June 19, 2014 at 9:20 pm (5 years ago)

I think I will give this a try with a wedding gift and a new baby gift. Wonderful keepsakes!

26. Vicky Isliefson
    June 20, 2014 at 11:25 am (5 years ago)

The roller bag that holds my text books, student work and laptop. I am an adjunct instructor with no office on campus, so this bag is my office!

27. Paula Watson
    June 20, 2014 at 6:35 pm (5 years ago)

I want to make some tags to attach to scrapbooks. I want the tags to hang off the end/spine of the scrapbook so when the books are on a shelf I can easily see who or what the scrapbook is about (vacations, grandchild, etc.) I just haven’t figured out the best way to attach the tag to the book.

28. Melissa Rosander
    June 20, 2014 at 9:24 pm (5 years ago)

First I have to acquire a wagon, but I want to find an old wooden slat wagon and personalize it for my son!

29. Audrey P.
    June 21, 2014 at 9:24 am (5 years ago)

To KBO about a tag for her husbands tent project. I don’t know what you’d say, but I think it should be placed on the front door near the zipper (in the middle so it’s there for all to see). Haven’t made a zippered room years ago for a tent and stitched it to the tent, I know that’s a BIG deal. Congratulations to him!

30. Audrey P.
    June 21, 2014 at 9:25 am (5 years ago)

sorry I didn’t proof read my comment. The last sentence should read HAVING made a zippered room.

June 21, 2014 at 1:08 pm (5 years ago)

I would like to make tags to label food items on the buffet table at my parties.

32. Karen Roop
    June 22, 2014 at 10:35 am (5 years ago)

I would like to make tags for the guest that attend my niece’s baby shower, then they can take it home and use on their luggage, etc. Nice keepsake for all.

Karen Roop