Monogram of the Month – September

x_header

When you select a font for monogramming do you consider how it was made? As you watch the letters stitch on your machine, do you wonder why the needle travels here, there and finally back here? And if you’re like me, you are impressed with the final outcome.

What a sense of satisfaction seeing a beautifully stitched monogram completed on the hooped fabric. Often, I pat myself on the back for the selection of the font, the stabilizer, fabric and thread. In reality, it has very little to do with my selections. The beauty is in the actual letters. After all, they are much more than a mere A, B or C. They are works of art. And my art – my stitched monogram – would not be so impressive if it weren’t for the digitizer’s fine-tuned attention to detail.

SNF: Romanesque Monogram Set 7 and Gothic Monogram Set 9

SNF: Romanesque Monogram Set 7 and Gothic Monogram Set 9

My hat goes off to the font digitizers who have devoted their life’s work to producing professional embroidery designs. They shun the auto-digitizing functions in their software and they place every stitch in every letter of every font (you do the math!) with the user in mind. How will this font be used? What type of fabric will it be stitched on? Other technical questions include the consideration of underlay, column width and specialty effects. The digitizer’s goal is to always set the user up for success without adding unnecessary stitches that result in heavy designs and wasted time and materials.

H: Flourishes Monogram Set and Arabesque Monogram Set 13

H: Flourishes Monogram Set and Arabesque Monogram Set 13

This commitment gives us, the embroiderer, confidence to get creative with fonts. When we know the letters will stitch beautifully, we are free to incorporate several styles in a monogram. Add a splash of color and elegant accents for a customized, personal monogram.

AW: Moderne XL Monogram Set 5 and Flourishes Monogram Set 1

AW: Moderne XL Monogram Set 5 and Flourishes Monogram Set 1

In celebration of a lifetime of devotion to detail, EmbroideryArts.com is offering Designs in Machine Embroidery readers a $10.00 coupon off any online purchase until October 15, 2014. When you browse their library – now at an impressive 200 fonts – I’m sure you’ll find good use for that $10.00 savings. Choose any product or products with a total value of $ 10.00 or more and add the product(s) to your shopping cart. On the shopping cart page, enter coupon code DIME200 in the coupon code field and click “Apply” before completing your order.

*Coupon has no cash value.

After you’ve taken advantage of the great deal from EmbroideryArts.com leave a comment below about the three most used items in your sewing room. One blog reader will be selected to receive a $25 gift certificate for use on the DiME website. Thanks and good luck!
Gift-Card
The winner of last week assignment:
September is National Ovarian Cancer Awareness month. Throughout the month we will feature a Tapestry of Life Quilt project created for a young woman recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer. What have you created with your embroidery or sewing machine to support and comfort a friend or loved one faced with cancer? For each unique user comment below we will donate $1 to the Be The Difference Foundation, up to $820! Thank you for your support and don’t forget to come back for our Tapestry of Life Quilt project.
Tapestry-of-Life-Quilt_logoAnd the winner is the Be The Difference Foundation! Thank you for your comments in support of this wonderful organization.

63 Comments on Monogram of the Month – September

1. Lori E
    September 3, 2014 at 3:23 pm (5 years ago)

The three most used items in my sewing room are 1)Sewing Machine, 2) Iron, 3) Seam Ripper!

2. Cheryl Greenleaf
    September 3, 2014 at 3:34 pm (5 years ago)

Cutting mat, rotary cutter & sewing machine

3. Marilyn Weiss
    September 3, 2014 at 3:50 pm (5 years ago)

My favorite pair of snips, a very, very inexpensive ruler with a marking guide and then it’s a toss-up between my embroidery machine and my embroidery threads! Any day that I get to touch these things is a good day.

4. Laurie Anderson
    September 3, 2014 at 4:00 pm (5 years ago)

Most used items are my thread snips as I don’t like to use the thread cutter and then have to cut the threads again. My long handled tweezers for pulling embroidery thread through needle around the open toe foot and on my serger and rotary cutter.

5. Nancy N
    September 3, 2014 at 4:41 pm (5 years ago)

Seam ripper, seam quide and embroidery/sewing machine. the Oliso iron is a fourth

6. Ellen
    September 3, 2014 at 4:54 pm (5 years ago)

Sewing machine, rotary cutter with mat, and ruler

7. Sandy
    September 3, 2014 at 5:47 pm (5 years ago)

Most used – probably the embroidery machine, thread snips and the rotary cutter/mat.

8. Nancy Taylor
    September 3, 2014 at 5:55 pm (5 years ago)

Seam Ripper, Emb Machine, and rotary cutter

9. Marianne Myrick
    September 3, 2014 at 6:04 pm (5 years ago)

Most used items – embroidery scissors, rotary cutter/mat, ruler.

10. Marianne Myrick
    September 3, 2014 at 6:06 pm (5 years ago)

Most used items: embroidery scissors, Rotary cutter/mat, ruler.

11. Sharon
    September 3, 2014 at 6:51 pm (5 years ago)

My 3 most used items are my Singer Futura CE-250 sewing machine, my iron, and (unfortunately) my seam ripper. Just as I strive to follow the rule to measure twice, cut once, I need to read instructions completely through twice, then review the step I am on, then sew once.

12. Rita
    September 3, 2014 at 7:40 pm (5 years ago)

My Embroidery machine, mini ruler with that little slide on it, and the computer with ???? designs

13. Donna Siler
    September 3, 2014 at 8:02 pm (5 years ago)

Most used?? My PAL 2 light, Perfect Placement Target Stickers and my Monster Snap Hoop! All these great products make my embroidering a Snap 🙂

14. Whitney
    September 3, 2014 at 8:40 pm (5 years ago)

My sewing machine, my iron, and my computer are the most used things in my sewing room.

15. CarolKE
    September 3, 2014 at 9:14 pm (5 years ago)

I would say that my rotary cutter, my embroidery machine, and the trusty seam ripper.

16. Shirley Clark
    September 3, 2014 at 9:21 pm (5 years ago)

Three things I use the most are my seam ripper, my 5″ duck bill applique scissors, and my snippers!

17. Diane Willey
    September 3, 2014 at 9:36 pm (5 years ago)

The three things that I use the most in my sewing room are sewing/embroidery machine, scissors and computer.

18. Kristal
    September 3, 2014 at 9:55 pm (5 years ago)

The three most used items in my sewing room are my embroidery hoops, stabilizer, and my computer.

19. Dacia Reid
    September 3, 2014 at 10:35 pm (5 years ago)

My three most used items would have to be my computer (all my designs and ideas are stored here, also fabric purchases etc.)my embroidery machine and my small embroidery scissors.

20. Nancy Johnson
    September 3, 2014 at 10:53 pm (5 years ago)

My seam ripper, serrated scissors and stilletto.

21. joyce
    September 3, 2014 at 10:57 pm (5 years ago)

My sewing/embroidery machine,scissors and seam ripper.

22. Linda Hassett
    September 4, 2014 at 1:10 am (5 years ago)

The most used things in my sewing room are my embroidery machine, my hoops, rotary cutter and mat. Of course just as important is my chair, thread, and stabilizer.

23. Cathy
    September 4, 2014 at 1:25 am (5 years ago)

Embroidery machine, snips, and thread.

24. Pam Morrow
    September 4, 2014 at 2:34 am (5 years ago)

Sewing machine, rulers and computer. Actually, the computer is probably used more than the sewing machine for checking blog posts, reading tutorials, searching for fabrics, or patterns, or how-to information, getting advice from friends (invaluable for sending a photo of a project in progress and getting a second opinion), not to mention using it for setting up an embroidery design and either watching a movie or listening to iTunes while I’m working. Twenty-first century sewing – love it!

25. Linda W
    September 4, 2014 at 4:00 am (5 years ago)

Three most used items in my sewing room — embroidery machine, computer and embroidery scissors.

26. Celeste Sledge
    September 4, 2014 at 5:00 am (5 years ago)

sewing machine, scissors, and embroidery machine

27. Mel
    September 4, 2014 at 5:08 am (5 years ago)

Scissors, sewing machine and, unfortunately, my seam ripper.

28. R. Edwin
    September 4, 2014 at 5:37 am (5 years ago)

The three things I wish I use the most in my sewing room are my ideas, my skills and my stash but what I end up using is the laundry machine, doing the mending and Ironing.

29. Dianne D
    September 4, 2014 at 6:28 am (5 years ago)

I use my embroidery machine, pal, and my imagination. Then of course my camera so I can capture all my creations. Just became a first time Grandma, so want to teach the new little girl the enjoyment of sewing/embroidery. Must keep the generations going!!

30. Randy case
    September 4, 2014 at 6:38 am (5 years ago)

Sewing machine, design wall & rotary cutter

31. Elaine Carroll
    September 4, 2014 at 6:42 am (5 years ago)

Craft lamps (strategically placed on the work areas) , a mini Vacuum and laptop

32. Connie Walsh
    September 4, 2014 at 6:53 am (5 years ago)

It’s tough to narrow down to only 3, but I guess it would all have to start with my Computer, Digitizing Software, and Embroidery Machine.

33. Debra
    September 4, 2014 at 6:56 am (5 years ago)

1. My Husband, if he can’t figure out what I have done to the software,no one can.
    2. My overhead light
    3. The big folding table my husband made, the U.S. and metric rulers insets and self healing mats, on a shelf underneath.

34. Laurene Shewan
    September 4, 2014 at 7:03 am (5 years ago)

Chair, computer and trash basket!

35. Shea Marshall
    September 4, 2014 at 7:13 am (5 years ago)

My 3 most-used items are my Viking sewing/embroidery machine, thread snips and PAL which is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Thanks for the discount – I LOVE fancy monograms!

36. Mary Baker
    September 4, 2014 at 8:04 am (5 years ago)

My three are my Brother sewing/embroidery machine, seam ripper and computer.

37. LeAnne L
    September 4, 2014 at 8:10 am (5 years ago)

Besides my embroidery machine and lots of thread, it’s my Frixion pen, Embird, and double curved scissors.

38. Saundra Romanus
    September 4, 2014 at 8:19 am (5 years ago)

I love my Babylock Machine! My other two favorites are the little tool that tightens the screw on the hoop and the humongous box of embroidery thread that I received free when I bought my machine. It is so nice to have all those different colors without having to purchase them!

39. Sandi Babcock
    September 4, 2014 at 9:36 am (5 years ago)

My sewing machine(including serger and embroidery machine also), my iron and my cutting table.

40. Melody Goggin
    September 4, 2014 at 10:26 am (5 years ago)

My Embroidery machine, sewing machine and iron

41. THERESA RICE
    September 4, 2014 at 11:32 am (5 years ago)

Sewing/Embroidery machine, scissors, painter’s tape. Pins just don’t cut it in my world so I use painter’s tape to secure my “stuff” in the hoop.

42. Anne Marie Reilly
    September 4, 2014 at 2:19 pm (5 years ago)

My embroidery machine, scissors and tweezer for holding jump threads taut while I cut them.

43. mad14kt
    September 4, 2014 at 2:45 pm (5 years ago)

Sewing Machine, Serger, Sewing Gauge 🙂

44. Bonnie Gray
    September 4, 2014 at 4:20 pm (5 years ago)

Computer, embroidery machine. curved scissors. Love Embroidery Arts. When I first started machine embroidery quite a few years ago, I had them digitize the logo of my husband’s company. I am still using it to embroider his cuffs and above pockets and whatever else could use our logo. Always stiches out great!

45. Becky
    September 4, 2014 at 4:42 pm (5 years ago)

My computer, my small Horn scissors, and my embroidery machine.

46. denise
    September 4, 2014 at 5:13 pm (5 years ago)

I use my embroidery machine, thread,stabilizers, embroidery blanks and snips the most! Sorry I could not stop with 3 🙂 Denise

47. Judy
    September 4, 2014 at 5:48 pm (5 years ago)

Embroidery machine, fast frames, centering rulers by Eileen

48. Pamela Beeth
    September 4, 2014 at 6:45 pm (5 years ago)

Sewing machine, serger, iron, and tool box (it is full of essentials)

49. Paula Watson
    September 4, 2014 at 7:16 pm (5 years ago)

Three most used things in my sewing room: Iron, scissors, embroidery machine.

50. Marcia Nation
    September 4, 2014 at 7:22 pm (5 years ago)

The three most used items in my sewing room are;
    Pins
    Iron
    Vacuum cleaner
    I have not sewn in a few months and new items keep showing up taking away my space! I cleaned it out just this morning and hope to make big changes to the list above PRONTO.

51. Fern Mick
    September 4, 2014 at 8:29 pm (5 years ago)

My sewing machine, cutting mat and rotary cutter.

52. Donna Fecteau
    September 5, 2014 at 10:41 am (5 years ago)

The three most used items in my sewing room. The rotary cutter, the cutting board and my iron.

53. Sher Mattison
    September 5, 2014 at 2:27 pm (5 years ago)

My 3 most used items in my sewing room are my sewing machine, my fiskar’s cutting mat and rotary cutter.

54. Eunice Hill
    September 5, 2014 at 3:18 pm (5 years ago)

6″ruler, scissors and seam ripper but that is sometimes used
    for holding in place the fabric under the presser foot.

55. debe
    September 5, 2014 at 5:37 pm (5 years ago)

After my MC15000, rotary cutter & mat, iron & my Dritz hem guage.

56. Elaine May
    September 5, 2014 at 9:22 pm (5 years ago)

Number One My Baby lock embroidery machine -rotary cutters-& mat.It’s really hard to stop at three.

57. Lindae
    September 6, 2014 at 7:21 am (5 years ago)

Fiskars scissors, cutting mat and ruler

September 6, 2014 at 9:21 pm (5 years ago)

Embroidery machine,sharp manicure scissors, and scotch tape.

59. Colleen Bell
    September 7, 2014 at 4:58 pm (5 years ago)

Okay, the sewing machine is a given, so my 3 other most used items are first those adorable nippers.

No kissing up here, but next is the original PAL. My Babylock dealer tried to talk me out of it because I have that amazing camera, but seriously, I’m cheap and love to cut it close, which means so many times I can’t move that design in the hoop, so it needs to be right on the mark when I hoop. Then it is indispensable when I frame all those gorgeous embroidery designs. Before…well let’s not talk about what they looked like before I bought it.

Then last but not least is my “couldn’t-do-without” tool – my graphic art see-thru ruler. In my former life, I used it and had to buy one for my sewing room. I can use it to make sure things are centered directly on my Elliisimo Gold’s screen, my computer screen, framing, you name it can measure the minutest spaces and with it’s see-thru nature it is invaluable.

60. PRandolph
    September 8, 2014 at 2:05 pm (5 years ago)

Blue painter’s tape, wooden lazy susan (to spin hoop around while cutting appliqué fabrics) and my metric ruler!

61. Donna Klug
    September 9, 2014 at 1:38 pm (5 years ago)

I think we all would list our sewing and/or embroidery machine first. Besides that, my most used items are my seam ripper, rotary cutter, and snips. Recently, i learned how to use the rotary cutter and now prefer it over sewing shears. I should really list my large seam ripper, my medium seam ripper, and my tiny seam ripper! It seams that I spend a lot of time ripping out stitches. (No pun intended.)

62. Amanda
    September 14, 2014 at 10:10 am (5 years ago)

New to embroidery (so embroidery machine will slowly win over sewing machine..lol), so far sewing machine, thread, fabric.

63. Jackie Washington
    September 30, 2014 at 1:01 pm (5 years ago)

Most used are sewing machine, rotary cutter and embroidery scissors