It’s Sew Easy TV: Monograms for Men

ISE 703-2 PIC 1

On October 10, log onto http://www.ItsSewEasyTV.com and watch me show you how to make any men’s garment distinctive and personal by adding a monogram in episode 703.  The key work is discretion to assure great results. I’ll discuss the variety of types and shapes available for monograming, and show how to perfectly position the garment in the hoop before you start to embroider.  Then, I’ll create the monogram on the screen of the Quattro® 3 NV6750D by selecting the font from the built-in lettering and resizing and moving the letters.  Check out how to use the snowman sticker to assure the pocket flap is perfectly positioned.

Materials

If there’s one word to describe monogramming on menswear, it’s discreet; discreet in size and contrast. Now don’t go by my samples – my samples are done for photography – highly contrasting so you can see them well on camera. But when stitched for someone to actually wear, a discreet monogram is the one most gentlemen will be comfortable wearing. You have several choices when it comes to placing the monogram. Some very popular choices are on the pocket, above the pocket, or on the pocket flap if there is one, on the left cuff, inside the placket between the second and third button or on the placket at the bottom, just below the last button on the top placket and just for identification purposes: inside the collar. ill There are countless ways to arrange the letters but I’ve focused on three versions of the three-letter monogram. The traditional diamond shape: first name initial, last name initial and middle name initial. The two outer letters are proportionally smaller than the middle letter. Diamond The standard order: first, middle and last initial – all the same size. Standard On the pocket flap, go for a contemporary approach with the first initial stacked over the middle initial. This ‘tower’ of letters is equal in size to the last initial. Take this approach when the garment is a casual shirt like flannel, worn every day. Contemp Let’s take a look at how you do it.

Pocket Flap

Find the vertical center of the flap. Place a target sticker just right of the edge of the flap. Hoop sticky stabilizer and place the hoop under the Perfect Alignment Laser. Turn on the laser and center the hoop under the laser. Position the flap on the sticky stabilizer. Smooth the flap on the stabilizer making sure the shirt is not caught under the flap. Flap1 Support the weight of the shirt while transporting the hoop to the machine. Attach the hoop on the machine and verify the needle is centered over the target sticker. Remove the sticker and embroider the monogram.

Cuff

Button the left cuff and place it on a flat surface. Cuff2 Place the Perfect Placement Kit Cuff template on the cuff, aligning the fold with the template fold line and the topstitching line with the topstitching. Slide a target sticker under the template – use A for sizes small and medium and B for Large and extra-large. Cuff Unbutton the sleeve and pull the sleeve inside out. Hoop adhesive stabilizer and center the hoop under the Perfect Alignment Laser. Slide the cuff under the beam, aligning the crosshairs. Attach the hoop to the machine and embroider the monogram. These small precise monograms take under three minutes to stitch – you could do a whole closetful in an afternoon!

What is your most prized monogram project? Tell us your favorite and one comment will be chosen to receive a $25 gift certificate to spend on the DIME website. Thank you for reading and good luck!

Gift-Card

The winner of last week’s assignment is:

What foot do you have that you wish you knew how to use?  Post a comment to let us know! One comment will be chosen at random to receive a $25 shopping spree on the Designs in Machine Embroidery website!

And the winners is..Barbara. “Gee, I wish I knew where to start! Between my sewing machine and serger, there are so many adventures afoot that I can’t begin to choose! How about the ones that came with the last update?”

44 Comments on It’s Sew Easy TV: Monograms for Men

1. Jacque
    October 9, 2014 at 11:51 am (5 years ago)

The cuffs on my niece’s shirt for her wedding when she got her hair and make up done – one cuff said “I Do!” and the other cuff had her wedding date.

• Debbie
      March 2, 2016 at 6:43 am (3 years ago)

I am cosine ring this for my niece’s wedding. Could you tell me the font you used & how large on cuffs?

2. Belinda Germain
    October 9, 2014 at 4:30 pm (5 years ago)

Favorite monogram, done on napkins, placemats, shower curtain, bath mat and towels for my grand daughter’s wedding presents. Turned out beautiful and she loved them.

3. Nancy
    October 9, 2014 at 5:45 pm (5 years ago)

Love doing monograms on men’s cuff in the same color as the shirt. Just adds that subtle elegance and not too foo-foo for my husband.
    Nancy

4. Frances Powell
    October 9, 2014 at 7:54 pm (5 years ago)

My most prized monogram project is a Vera Bradley purse that I monogrammed for myself. I was nervous to do it but it came out great!! It was the 1st thing that I had monogrammed for myself.

5. Janny
    October 9, 2014 at 10:12 pm (5 years ago)

A tote bag for a cancer survivor friend, a sister survivor. We had different colored ribbons, different battles but the same war.

6. Jacqueline Curtis
    October 9, 2014 at 10:28 pm (5 years ago)

My husband loves having his monogram on the front of his robes. So I do it for him because that is his favorite.

7. Donna G.
    October 9, 2014 at 10:29 pm (5 years ago)

The towel sets I did for my daughter’s and son-in-law’s new home!

8. Carol
    October 9, 2014 at 11:09 pm (5 years ago)

The ring bearer pillow I made for my daughter’s wedding. On the front was their monogram in a frame with the wedding date and on the back I embroidered the poem read at their wedding.

9. Jeanne
    October 9, 2014 at 11:38 pm (5 years ago)

My favorite was the baby blanket I embroidered for a friend.

October 10, 2014 at 1:23 am (5 years ago)

The towels that I monogramed for my grandchildren.

11. Pam Morrow
    October 10, 2014 at 2:15 am (5 years ago)

Nothing flash – but the black kitchen towel I monogrammed for a friend using white thread andva simple, modern style – twig frame and a plain letter. It looked so stylish and suited her modern kitchen and tastes perfectly.

12. Christy
    October 10, 2014 at 4:53 am (5 years ago)

Using a terrycloth robe I put the last name big across the back and the first name small on the front. They look like a prize fighter’s robe and give them as wedding or shower gifts.

13. link
    October 10, 2014 at 5:15 am (5 years ago)

That is really interesting, You are a very professional blogger. I have joined your rss feed and sit up for looking for more of your magnificent post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks

October 10, 2014 at 6:10 am (5 years ago)

One of my very first embroidery projects was adding a monogram to my husband’s favorite denim shirt. He still loves it!

15. Patty
    October 10, 2014 at 7:47 am (5 years ago)

My favorite things to monogram are onesis!

16. Shea
    October 10, 2014 at 8:41 am (5 years ago)

My favorite monogram is the stacked one that I put on one of three t-shirts I gave to my 30-year old son for his last birthday. I’ve seen him wear that shirt three times in the month since then – he LOVES it.

17. Royce Zook
    October 10, 2014 at 9:44 am (5 years ago)

Monograms, for mens’ wear, have a certain look of distinction if not made to stand out by being too large or too colorful. Tone on tone, is that the term?

18. Mary J Chevalier
    October 10, 2014 at 10:17 am (5 years ago)

Most favorite : the cap, pillowcases and bath towel for my son who died four years ago. He was proud of my skill in doing them.

• Kate LeViness
      October 11, 2014 at 10:01 pm (5 years ago)

Hi Mary,
      I just wanted to tell you, I’m sorry you lost your son, & understand your pain. I lost mine as well, 11 yrs ago.
      I loved putting his monogram on his shirts!

19. LeAnne L
    October 10, 2014 at 1:44 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve been embroidering for over 15 years and I’ve never done a monogram. I mostly do quilts. Maybe I could sneak one in on the label.

20. Barbara McKenzie
    October 10, 2014 at 2:01 pm (5 years ago)

Several years ago I made purse inserts for all the ladies in my family and most of them were monogrammed. I thought they turn out very pretty and everyone seemed to like them a lot.

October 10, 2014 at 7:55 pm (5 years ago)

I love monogramming anything.

22. Kristal
    October 10, 2014 at 10:29 pm (5 years ago)

My kids love anything I monogram for them. They tell me it makes them feel special.

23. Doreen
    October 11, 2014 at 6:28 am (5 years ago)

My favorite monogram project was for a niece’s wedding. I embroidered a tablecloth & 8 napkins with their monogram centered inside a rose to match the dinnerware she had chosen.

24. susan james
    October 11, 2014 at 7:35 am (5 years ago)

the t shirts with minnie mouse applique and monogram for family trip to disney world for grandson graduation trip

25. Anne Marie Reilly
    October 11, 2014 at 1:32 pm (5 years ago)

My shower curtain is off white and made of a puckered material. I wanted to dress it up so I made an oval applique in a light blue material with a monogram in the middle in off white. Then I stitched it on with invisible thread. I’m pleased with the results and have received several compliments on it.

26. Vicky Isliefson
    October 11, 2014 at 2:27 pm (5 years ago)

I put my late Father-in-law’s nickname (Cec) and an embroidered portrait of his dog on his favorite denim shirt. I now have the shirt as a memento. Not sure what to do with it. Should I cut out the embroidered area and frame it? Nobody is going to wear it.

27. Bonnie Gray
    October 11, 2014 at 2:56 pm (5 years ago)

I put the logo of my husband’s business on the right cuff of his dress shirt he wears for meetings. When he shakes hands the person sees his logo.

28. betty smith
    October 11, 2014 at 4:01 pm (5 years ago)

I monogramed a duffle bag for my granddaughter who is on the cheer squad. Her name on one end, the school’s mascot on other end. The bag was made from a plush fabric in school’s colors.

29. Karen Roop
    October 11, 2014 at 10:42 pm (5 years ago)

I monogramed spa wraps for my 3 grandsons from All About Blanks. They are all the same size and they now can tell them apart. They made fun of them last Christmas but they have used them all year and asked me to make them again this year!
    Karen Roop

30. Berenice
    October 12, 2014 at 6:14 pm (5 years ago)

I “monogram” blankets for my daughters’ friends and their babies (the friends’ not my girls! No grands yet…).

31. Berenice
    October 12, 2014 at 6:21 pm (5 years ago)

I ‘Monogram blankets and towels for my daughters’ friends and the friend’s babies.

• Berenice
      October 12, 2014 at 6:23 pm (5 years ago)

OOPS! Got too excited by Charger’s win! Didn’t realize I already posted….

32. Kathy Schmidt
    October 13, 2014 at 2:01 pm (5 years ago)

My current favorite is the one I did yesterday on a pink/grey jacket for myself. I used a barbwire font for my monogram which went with the horse embroidery I did on the back perfectly. Love the magazine & blog…..thank you

33. Barb Miller
    October 13, 2014 at 11:03 pm (5 years ago)

I love the easy way you show just where the monogram should be. Perfect everytime.I often monogram a baby blanket or a bib.

34. beth daniels
    October 14, 2014 at 12:27 pm (5 years ago)

My favorite monogram was doing a monogram on two satin pillowcases that I did for my niece when she got married last year. I did the monogram in gold with off white satin. She loved them so much that she wants me to make another pair in the future to go along with her bedding covers.

35. Debe
    October 14, 2014 at 7:43 pm (5 years ago)

My Daughters wedding dress 10 yrs ago & most recently I did an afghan for a wedding shower with a large T (last name) & used a technique from this blog to intertwine the first name initials. It turned out beautiful.

36. gratis sex
    January 8, 2016 at 12:05 am (3 years ago)

your blo was very useful for us. I’ll thank you u a lot for sharing this interesting information!

37. Power testro
    August 28, 2017 at 7:33 pm (2 years ago)

I used to be suggested this blog via my cousin.
    I’m not sure whether or not this publish is written by him as nobody else recognize such specified approximately
    my trouble. You’re wonderful! Thanks!

38. Alpha Force Testo
    August 30, 2017 at 12:48 pm (2 years ago)

Hello it’s me, I am also visiting this web page on a regular
    basis, this website is in fact pleasant and the people are truly sharing nice thoughts.

39. DSN Code Black
    August 30, 2017 at 6:34 pm (2 years ago)

I don’t even know the way I finished up here, however I believed this
    publish used to be good. I do not recognize who you are but
    certainly you are going to a well-known blogger should you are
    not already. Cheers!

40. LaraBiggie
    July 9, 2018 at 2:55 am (11 months ago)

Hello webmaster, i’ve been reading your site for some time and I really like coming back
    here. I can see that you probably don’t make money on your page.
    I know one awesome method of earning money, I think you will like it.
    Search google for: dracko’s tricks

41. BestTwila
    August 18, 2018 at 8:02 am (9 months ago)

I see you don’t monetize your website, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn extra cash every month.
    You can use the best adsense alternative for any type of website (they
    approve all websites), for more info simply search in gooogle:
    boorfe’s tips monetize your website