I was telling my friend about my work day. “I watched online videos of THE Dream Machine Innov-is XV8500D from Brother. My conclusion: The machine is a dream!”
We both agreed it would be a good idea to see THE Dream Machine in person. I made an appointment to visit our friends, Carla Plant and Shannon Atmore from Arlington Sewing Machines, for a hands-on demo.
I only planned on staying for an hour but the machine was so much fun I just about closed the store!
Here are some of my favorite highlights from THE Dream Machine.
- Crisp & Clear! I didn’t expect to notice or appreciate any changes when viewing the LCD screen. My eyes aren’t that sophisticated. But that was absolutely the first thing that caught my attention. The colors and images are incredibly crisp and clear. When you view the built-in embroidery designs you can see them clearly on the large LCD screen. Or if you’re like me and load 5 similar versions of the same design and wonder which one is the right one—now there’s no doubt.We have certainly come a long way since the days of small monochrome LCD screens!
- Live view! THE Dream Machine features the InnovEye® 2 Technology. This means you can see a live view of the needle area on your screen. What does this mean? Imagine scanning your hooped garment then viewing the actual garment on screen. Then select and position embroidery designs on the garment. Now the project you envision is easier to create!
- Scan! Scan a drawing on the scanning frame and turn it into embroidery! Or load clip art from a USB stick and convert it to stitches! All of this can be done at the embroidery machine. It’s no longer a clunky process of sitting at your desktop computer with a scanner, then loading the image into embroidery software to convert the image to a design and then walking over to your embroidery machine to load the design. Whew! I’m tired just thinking and writing a run-on sentence about it! Now the process is streamlined – it’s all done at your embroidery machine!
- Massive Hoop! The maximum embroidery area is 9.5” x 14”. Imagine all the time and grief you can save by not having to rehoop.
- Disney! Whether you’re stitching for a kid or a kid at heart—the library of Disney designs is very extensive.
I was also impressed with the size of the designs.
Check out this princess design!
Carla and Shannon loaded the Minnie Mouse design.
The design is 12.63” tall. That’s one big mouse!
- I’ve seen the light! Oftentimes I lower the needle to double check the alignment of my design before I take the first stitch. But now I can use the Droplight™ LED Embroidery Positioning Marker to check alignment on THE Dream Machine.
- Never get confused about thread colors again! Sure, there’s a numbered thread color sequence we can all follow but more often than not, I still manage to get confused on which thread to load next. THE Dream Machine has the INNOVACHROME™ LED Thread Color and Monitoring System. It indicates the thread color I need to install next.The flower image on screen indicates it’s time to stitch the pink portion of the flower.
The light on the machine shows the same pink color! Wow!
- Details, details! Engineers noticed the details! It’s easy to love all the obvious technological advances in THE Dream Machine. But I also appreciate and enjoy discovering where improvements have been made. Sure they may be subtle but they mean a lot!
- Skid proof foot pedal. I’ve heard some people remove their shoes because their foot slips off the pedal. THE Dream Machine has a very comfy, skid proof foot pedal!
- New Stability Plus™ Frame. The 9 ½” x 14” frame has aluminum, rubber and ribbed corners. Here’s a close-up view of the rubber on the side of the hoop. The addition of the rubber secures the fabric and helps prevent slippage.
- Improved Storage for Feet! I had to do a double take when Carla held the foot storage container upside down. The feet don’t fall out!
- Keep track of the day and time! For those of us who get so engrossed in our sewing and embroidery projects, this feature is handy! Now we won’t forget to stop and eat or visit the husband and children! There is a handy display of the day and time on the machine.
These were just a few of my favorite features! I encourage you to stop by your local Brother dealer for a test drive. Even if you don’t think you’re in the market for a machine it’s still good to see the available features. This way when you are ready you will be better able to make an informed decision. If you want to learn more about the machine, visit the Designs Plus Newsletter for February! There’s also a special coupon for ibroidery.com.
Special thank you to Carla Plant and Shannon Atmore at Arlington Sewing Machine for giving me a tour of the machine!