Multi-Needle Monday: Drawstring Backpack with Tote Bag and Purse Hoop

Recently, my sister Marie Zinno was explaining to me how she hoops a drawstring bag. And I told her I use a different hoop but I think she should share her technique with you. So here’s what she had to say…

If you own a multi-needle embroidery machine I am sure you have encountered a hard to hoop bag. Duffle, tote, draw string, backpack and cosmetic bags can be so challenging for the embroiderer. Bags are very profitable and generally do not require a large high stitch count design but the difficulty involved in the set up might make you give bags a second thought.

One of the most popular styles for teams and businesses is the drawstring duffle backpack. The embroidery is usually placed in the center of the bag (because when you tighten the drawstring the upper portion is synched together). I like to use the Tote Bag and Purse hoop available from Brother and Baby Lock. The hoop used measures 5×7 and has curved arms to easily fit a bag over the bobbin throat.

DSC_1228

I like this hoop because I can use simple tear away stabilizer and the embroidery machine “reads” the correct hoop size. There is no guessing if the design will fit and if the needle will touch the frame. Mark the center on your bag and use a target sticker to designate the area to be embroidered. Slide the bottom frame of the hoop inside the bag with the stabilizer and place the top portion of the hoop on top.

DSC_1225

DSC_1226

DSC_1227

Attach the hoop to the machine and line up the target sticker with the correct needle bar. Remove the sticker and stitch the design. Carefully remove the hoop and tear away excess stabilizer from the back of bag.

9 Comments on Multi-Needle Monday: Drawstring Backpack with Tote Bag and Purse Hoop

1. Elaine
    March 3, 2015 at 6:10 am (5 years ago)

Hi Eileen,
    I bought your monster snap hoop for my brother 10 needle machine and love it – it’s so easy to use.
    I now have a 7 needle happy journey machine as well and really want a monster snap hoop that’s 12×12 for this machine, please tell me you will release one – it will make embroidery so much easier.
    Thanks Elaine

• susan
      March 3, 2015 at 11:30 am (5 years ago)

HI I WAS SOOOOO HAPPY TO SEE SOMEONE WHO ALSO OWNS A “HAPPY” MACHINE. i AM LOOKING FOR A “GROUP” OR JUST SOMEONE TO TALK WITH REGARDING POSSIBLE PROBLEMS OR CAN HELP SOMEONE ELSE.
      PLEASE RESPOND IF YOUR INTERESTED.
      THANKS SUSAN

• Elaine
        March 23, 2015 at 10:46 am (5 years ago)

Hi Susan,
        How are you doing with your happy machine,
        I hope Eileen makes the monster snap hoop for it soon.
        Elaine

2. Char
    March 3, 2015 at 6:19 am (5 years ago)

I LOVE my monster hoop and now I just brought the new Brother Dream machine and they have a very hoop of 14 x 91/2 , please consider making a monster hoop for this machine and also for the Baby Lock Destiny. This would make my sewing complete!!!!!

3. Angela
    March 4, 2015 at 10:44 am (5 years ago)

Hello, I’ve been a long time follower of your blog. Lots of helpful stuff here. I was wondering what software you use with your multineedle machine? I have bernina software v6 and it works okay for the most part. However it just doesn’t seem to have all the features that my Brother PR600 is capable of.

Angela
    WolfChild Designs

4. Kathleen Crabtree
    March 28, 2015 at 10:39 am (5 years ago)

Eileen you said you use a different hoop. What do you use. I use my Quick Snap hoops.

5. angel
    April 22, 2015 at 9:00 am (5 years ago)

Hi thank you for so much information on your blog, I am buying a brother pr1000 and was wondering about this hoop, how it works, I still cant see from your picture how this goes on the machine. I looked on brothers website and cant find this hoop. Could you tell me where to get it? and is there pictures somewhere else that I can get a better idea of why I would need this verses a regular hoop? thanks!!!

6. www.beautifultemplates.info
    September 29, 2016 at 7:14 am (3 years ago)

wonderful issues altogether, ʏօu simply
    received а emblem neww reader. Wһаt migһt ʏou recommend аbout your post tһat you simply made some daүs in tһe past?
    Any sure?