I didn’t have what I needed today. So I used what I found.
What I wanted was a black painted wooden frame. I had one somewhere – finding it was another matter and there was no time to delay the Monogram of the Month project for the May/June issue.
I found a wooden frame but it was stained brown. It didn’t have glass—(I didn’t need glass anyway). But it also didn’t have a cardboard back for me to use as a template for the project.
I needed cardboard or cardstock to make a template and also use to wrap my embroidered fabric around for framing.
Folders looked too flimsy. I eyed book covers (gasp!) but I couldn’t bring myself to destroy a book cover for my art piece. I rummaged through my office and found an old spiral notebook. The cover was made of a light-weight plastic. It was perfect!
I measured the inside of the frame and used those dimensions to cut the plastic notebook cover.
Since the plastic was translucent it made it super easy to use it to center my embroidery underneath—then I trimmed away the excess fabric from my stitch out – leaving enough to fold around the plastic.
I taped the fabric wrapping it tautly around the plastic.
The embroidered art piece fit perfectly inside the frame. An extra detail I find important is finishing the back. Although no one will see the back of the frame, finishing it is an important detail I don’t like to overlook. Besides, it’s a chance to add that unexpected flair. I happened to have a hot pink piece of scrapbook paper tucked away in my office supplies. (What a lucky find!). I trimmed it away and secured to the back of the frame.
Now the frame is complete!
Be sure to read Part 1 of Monogram of the Month for May/June 2015 Volume 92 issue for steps on how I created the appliqued heart using the bernette Embroidery Software Customizer.