Welcome to the Digital Age!

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

I’ll be the first to admit I’m a late adopter when it comes to new technology.  When new technology or features become available—I let my more tech savvy friends and associates test the new features and report back to me.  And even once they’ve explained the exciting new features I’m still kicking and screaming about not wanting to embrace change.  But once I embrace something new—I have to share it from the highest mountain top!

So if you’re a subscriber and you haven’t yet unlocked the magic of the digital version of Designs in Machine Embroidery, then this post is for you!  And if you’re already a subscriber, I may have some handy tips… so read on!

Every print subscription to Designs in Machine Embroidery includes FREE access to the digital version of the magazine.  What does this mean?  You get to read the magazine from cover to cover from the convenience of your e-reader or tablet device. (does not work with Nook or Regular Kindle).  But you like to hold the printed version, right?  You still receive this version in the mail.  You can dog ear it to your heart’s content!  But now you can have the digital version with you wherever you go!  If you find yourself poolside wanting to read up on your favorite machine embroidery magazine, you can!  Or maybe you’re parked in a carpool line, waiting to pick up your kids.  Now you can make that time productive and entertaining by reading Scott Goodman’s column, Great Scott!  But before all this can happen… you need to be sure you have:

• An active print subscription to Designs in Machine Embroidery. If you don’t, now is the perfect time to subscribe.  Click here to subscribe!  We are running the best offer of the year – 5 free embroidery designs and a super low price!  When you subscribe online, you create an online subscription account (if you are new) – or if you’re an existing subscriber you will sign in with your ID/Password.

Download the Digital Magazine App.  There are multiple ways of doing this, but the easiest is to go to http://www.dzgns.com.  Click on the appropriate link for your digital device.  For my example I clicked the option for the Apple App Store.  (You can also search for Designs in Machine Embroidery directly in the app store.)

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Download the app.  The circle on the top right corner shows the progress as the app is being downloaded when on Apple devices.  (For Android users it’s a bar)

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Once the app is downloaded, click on Open.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Click on Subscriptions.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Click on Current Subscribers.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Next you’ll need to enter your ID/account information.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Don’t worry, I panicked too when I saw this but it’s easy to locate.  If you have the information readily available, enter the information.  If you’re like me and don’t have the information read on….

1. If you have a magazine on hand, the account number is on the address label. If this doesn’t apply to you then read on for additional options….
  2. If you are a current subscriber or have let your subscription lapse you can log in to your subscription account on our website. Your account number is listed as shown in the sample below.  This is the number you’ll use to access the Digital magazine.  Enter the account number, your email address and zip code.
  3. If you are a brand new subscriber (never had an account with us).  Your Customer number will be ready within 24 hours.  You can also call 888-739-0555 from 8 am – 5 pm for assistance on retrieving your number.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Now you’re ready to read the digital magazine!

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

If you have been an active subscriber, you can access previous issues of the magazine by moving the covers of the magazine.  Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Get social!  When you see something you want to share or talk about with friends, just click on the icons to share in your social network!

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

You can also type text to accompany the post as shown below.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

If you have a birthday coming up you can easily drop not-so-subtle hints that you want a new design collection, embroidery machine or embroidery tool from your spouse, family members or friends!

Technology has brought about so many improvements to our quality of life.  What is your favorite modern invention?  Post your comment and two random individuals will win $50 gift certificates to use on the Buzz Tools website!

Buzz Tools

The winner of last week’s assignment answered the following question:

Fun trivia!  The May/June issue is the first time we’ve featured a cover of the magazine on the cover!  Identify which Volume of Designs in Machine Embroidery is tucked away in Marie’s beach tote featured on the cover.  Post your answer in the comments section and one lucky person will win a Stipple Sea Life collection.

The winner is:  Linda Hassett:  “I believe issue #90 is the featured issue shown in the tote”
Congratulations, Linda!  You are also spot on, it is Volume 90 featured on the cover.

41 Comments on Welcome to the Digital Age!

1. beth
    May 20, 2015 at 8:45 pm (5 years ago)

My favorite notion is the tablet. I own an android tablet and I love it.

2. Becky3580
    May 20, 2015 at 9:12 pm (5 years ago)

I would find it very difficult to live without my IPhone. It is like having any information about anything at your fingertips.

3. Lynne
    May 20, 2015 at 9:13 pm (5 years ago)

I love my computer, tablets and smartphones. But my embroidery machine is awesome! At 72, I love all these and try to keep up with new technology.

4. Sharon R
    May 20, 2015 at 9:31 pm (5 years ago)

I love today’s technology, computers, phones, and tablets, but we wouldn’t be this advanced without the 1st telephone and Alexander Graham Bell.

5. Alice Cornelson
    May 20, 2015 at 9:55 pm (5 years ago)

I loved my android until my daughter gave me a tablet. I am amazed at all the things d

May 20, 2015 at 9:55 pm (5 years ago)

I love my phone, desktop and laptop computer and of course my embroidery machine! I am not he most techie person, and I have yet to get an IPhone. The internet is fantastic as it allows us to access our emails and other info while we are traveling

7. Kitt
    May 20, 2015 at 9:56 pm (5 years ago)

I am in agreement with Lynn except I made it to 74.

8. Laurie
    May 20, 2015 at 11:09 pm (5 years ago)

My favorite has to be my 1st computeized sewing machine. Which then lead me into my present 6 needle embroidery machine!

9. susie
    May 20, 2015 at 11:17 pm (5 years ago)

My cell phone rocks and I am in awe at all it can do. The advancements in our lifetime is so incredible. I remember going back to work after being off several years for kids and being totally out of date! My first word processing class was IT for me!!! Have loved tech ever since!

10. Terri
    May 21, 2015 at 3:22 am (5 years ago)

Hands down my favorite is my computerized sewing/embroidery machine. It transports me to the wonderful world of creatvity through the medium of modern technology every time I sit down at it. Awesome!

11. Pauline
    May 21, 2015 at 3:58 am (5 years ago)

It had to be my big Brother Nv1 e – the most beautiful machine in the world

12. ELAINE Carroll (Newnan, GA)
    May 21, 2015 at 4:03 am (5 years ago)

Voice Over IP – I got rid of my house landline over 3 yrs ago (only calls we were receiving were telemarketers and politicians) – I bought an OBi100 and I use Google voice now – for free – I work from home and have to be on a lot of conference calls and cant eat up all my cell plan minutes – so this technology has saved me a ton of money over the years, no more telemarketer calls, no more caller ID needed – any missed call messages are sent via text to my Google e-mail and I can read what they said.

13. karen
    May 21, 2015 at 5:14 am (5 years ago)

I love my iPad!!!

14. Kate
    May 21, 2015 at 5:16 am (5 years ago)

Totally enjoy the ease of Google either on cell, iPad or laptop. Amazing. Have a question about anything and it is at our fingertips. Remarkable.

15. Frances Powell
    May 21, 2015 at 7:36 am (5 years ago)

My IPhone is my favorite. I use it for phone calls, surfing the web, Facebook, e-mails, taking payments, playing games, etc.

16. Darlene Bares
    May 21, 2015 at 8:07 am (5 years ago)

I’m one of those when there is new phones, new software, gadgets, machines, i like my friends to see how it works then show me. i’m a hands on person. i love, love my Brother Quattro 3.

17. Dale Oleksak
    May 21, 2015 at 8:46 am (5 years ago)

That’s easy. The GPS in my car! I can travel anywhere and not get lost. It can get me to the nearest fabric store wherever I am.

• Denise Holguin
      May 21, 2015 at 1:45 pm (5 years ago)

I’m right there with you! Having a GPS has expanded my adventurous side (I was never able to read maps well!)

18. Darlene
    May 21, 2015 at 8:54 am (5 years ago)

Best new technology – FaceTime/Skype Let’s me see my darling grandchildren that live too far away. But after that, all the fun sewing/embroidery/crafting technologies that have let me enjoy more hobbies than ever!

19. JudiC
    May 21, 2015 at 9:18 am (5 years ago)

The best new technology for me is my ipad mini My sister bought it for me so we could communicate easier, and we do I purchassed a zagg keyboard case so I can type just like a good old fashioned laptop without the bulk. It is so much faster than any PC or Laptop and beauttiful pictures. The only 2 negs are I cannot download emb designs on it & our home did not come with unlimited internet so I cannot download magazines. One magazine would eat up my entire monthly allowance :o(

20. Phyllis
    May 21, 2015 at 9:56 am (5 years ago)

I love my Brother sewing\embroidery machine . It always amazes me with all you can do with it.

21. Carolyn
    May 21, 2015 at 12:02 pm (5 years ago)

My multi-needle embroidery machine!!

22. Judy G
    May 21, 2015 at 2:20 pm (5 years ago)

My favorite modern invention is my Brother Quattro 2 sewing/embroidery/quilting machine, which was my retirement gift to myself a few years ago. I don’t own any e-tablets or smart phones. I have considered an e-reader, but am not sure I would use it enough to justify the cost as I would probably buy books anyway as I love the feel and smell of them.

23. Cathy
    May 21, 2015 at 4:24 pm (5 years ago)

My laptop and being able to connect to my multi-needle embroidery machine are both the best.

24. Danie
    May 22, 2015 at 3:39 pm (5 years ago)

I am an early adopter of everything techy. My latest favorite is the Janome MC 15000. I bought one just before Christmas and I love being able to rework the designs on my Ipad and then send it wirelessly to the machine!

25. Sue Reifschneider
    May 22, 2015 at 4:13 pm (5 years ago)

I love the automatic threader on my wonderful Ellegante. I also just got a pickler that lets u pickle beet6s, cucumbers, eggs.

26. Maureen
    May 22, 2015 at 4:17 pm (5 years ago)

The rechargeable electric broom style vacuums. I can pick up my sewing room floor quick and easy everyday. No more dragging a vacuum and the messy cord through all the threads!

27. Julie Colbey
    May 22, 2015 at 7:03 pm (5 years ago)

I love my Janome 15000 sewing machine, its so easy, shows just what technology
    should be

• Julie Colbey
      May 27, 2015 at 3:06 pm (5 years ago)

Wow I just saw I have won a $50 voucher for Buzz tools software. Can you please let me know how to claim my prize.thank you very much Julie

28. Sara Redner
    May 22, 2015 at 7:07 pm (5 years ago)

I love my embroidery machine and I love my tablet. I no longer have to buy books or even go to the library to check them out; I can check out e-books from my favorite chair!

29. debe
    May 23, 2015 at 12:05 am (5 years ago)

I have to say my embroidery machine. I enjoyed embroidery before I had a computer & downloadable designs & cell/smart phones, lol.

30. Marcia Stewart
    May 23, 2015 at 10:03 am (5 years ago)

I have been using the I phone app since I subscribed and received my first issue of Vol 87 when I subscribed. I love the ability to read while camping and fishing and when I get home try out one of the ideas in the magazine. I am able to show my sewing and embroidery friend some of the designs. She has a Bernina 880 and I have an Artista 730. We have lots of fun discovering new designs and trying them out and reading the articles that give us hints to make our embroidery designs better. Happy Memorial Weekend everyone

31. Kathy Schmidt
    May 23, 2015 at 3:22 pm (5 years ago)

Although I love all the new technological phones computers etc…..My favorite is definitely my Diamond Embroidery Machine…..love to create with it.

32. Anne Marie Reilly
    May 23, 2015 at 4:28 pm (5 years ago)

My favorite tech device is my Ipad because it is so versatile and portable.

33. Kim M. Harrington
    May 23, 2015 at 5:12 pm (5 years ago)

Definitely have to go with my OUTSTANDING Baby Lock Sewing and Embroidery machine which has been like rocket science in my own sewing room! I love it because it is the best tool I have for expressing myself in fabric and thread.

34. LeAnne L
    May 26, 2015 at 6:55 pm (5 years ago)

I love my Kindle. Forgot it one time when I was going to be out of town for the weekend. I thought I was going to go into withdrawal. It was terrible. But I had my phone, so I was still able to access almost everything.

35. Joan Shriver
    May 26, 2015 at 8:10 pm (5 years ago)

I love my Brother Dreamweaver and my Nook. I can read at night w/o bothering my husband or dog!

36. April
    July 14, 2015 at 6:55 am (5 years ago)

wow, I did not love technology (computers) at all until I worked for a local sewing store. That sewing store sold very expensive machines and software, I figured I needed to learn fast to help my customers and Bam I feel in love. Now I have an insatiable appetite for new tech gadgets. I do love my subscription to designs mag and having both versions. Thank you sometimes on the run I can daydream by reading your magazine but at home I love to hear the pages in my hand it truly is the best of both worlds. I truly thank you because people like print too.

• Denise Holguin
      July 14, 2015 at 5:49 pm (5 years ago)

April,
      Thank you for your comments! I suspect your love and fascination with technology is contagious– and you’re easily able to show your customers all the wonderful things they can do with the machines and software. Thank you for posting!

Denise

37. Kim Faulkner
    August 12, 2017 at 11:52 pm (3 years ago)

I placed a order for your magazine at a Dime event at Midsouth sewing event in Murfreesboro
    Tn, but haven’t received it.

38. Jackie Branscum
    December 4, 2017 at 12:21 pm (2 years ago)

My IPhone and digitizing software are probably my 2 favorites. I love having access to the internet anytime I need it and I love creating embroidery designs in software, especially In-the-Hoop designs.