Through my embroidery business I have stitched hundreds of corporate logos, team items and unique baby accessories. I am always open to new ideas; once in a while a customer will bring me a special request. This time the request was for a kindergarten t-shirt. The mother’s youngest of 4 children was starting kindergarten in a few weeks and she wanted a special send off outfit for her 5 year old.
Check in with me for next week on Software Saturday to learn how I created the text for the Kindergarten Rocks t-shirt. Below I list the steps for embroidering a child’s t-shirt with the requested text. The Children’s Perfect Placement Kit was used to align the design centered on the t-shirt.
1. Pre-wash a purchased child’s t-shirt (youth size medium was used) and press before stitching. Position the t-shirt on flat surface and place the template labeled: center front youth small/ medium on the t-shirt. Line up the black bold lines on template with the bottom of the t-shirt ribbing.
Place a target sticker in the center hole of the template. The target sticker will designate the center of the embroidery design.
- I sized my embroidery design to fit in a 5×7 Monster Snap Hoop (check DIME for hoop sizes and models to fit your multi-needle machine) to make hooping easy and quick. Embroidering a child’s size t-shirt is so simple with a multi-needle embroidery machine. The bulk of the fabric hangs in front of the machine and out of the way of the embroidery attachment.
- Use fusible cut away poly mesh stabilizer on the wrong side of upper portion of t-shirt. Lay the magnetic frame of the Monster Snap Hoop on a flat surface and cut the stabilizer larger than the frame. Make sure to iron the stabilizer centered in the area to be stitched. Turn the t-shirt right side out and slide the magnetic, teal frame inside the t-shirt (magnets facing the top). Attach the metal frame on top with target centered within the metal frame.
- Slide the frame onto the multi-needle machine with the neck area placed over the bobbin throat. Use your hands to feel underneath the t-shirt for any excess fabric. Line up the target sticker with the correct needle bar (this is a great time to use the live camera if available on your machine).
- Remove the target sticker and add water soluble stabilizer (light weight type) to the top of the fabric. Use the automatic basting feature to tack down the stabilizer.
- Embroider the t-shirt and remove after stitching is complete. Turn t-shirt wrong side out and clip the basting files carefully.
- Re-iron the cut away stabilizer from the wrong side of t-shirt. The adhesive is deactivated and can be trimmed.
- Turn t-shirt right side out and spritz with water to remove excess water soluble stabilizer from the text design.
Use the coupon link to save $10 on my Craftsy class: How to Start a Machine Embroidery Business.