Yes, I’m still talking about the wedding! I’ve had so many people ask for details about the, well, the wedding details, I thought I’d keep you in the loop. Although I didn’t actually embroider the wedding gown lace, I did add some very personal touches to the dress. I thought long and hard about documenting the ceremony on the inside of the dress. I even asked you to leave a comment and tell me what you would do. My final decision was to add a label at the waistline and an embroidered ribbon to the lining’s hem.
I made several attempts at the label, starting with a traditional slant of the bride and groom’s names, date and location of the wedding. I didn’t like this at all – the J’s were overlapping and the digits overwhelmed the letters.
Making a label is not really that big of a deal unless you think about how it will be read in 20, 30 or more years down the road. It was Janelle’s day, not mine, so I wanted the focus of the message to be on her. And I kept coming back to your suggestions. One of you – Ruth Peterson – left a beautiful suggestion on July 24. It stayed with me for weeks so I decided to use it. Thank you, Ruth, for your suggestion.
When the Properties Box appeared, I selected Two-ply from the Run menu and reduced the stitch length from the 3.0 default to 2.2. I changed the color to 2 so that the machine would stop after stitching the poem.
I hooped a fresh piece of the Bemberg rayon lining and stitched color 1, the text. I placed another piece of the rayon on top of the text and stitched color 2, the outline. Once removed from the hoop, I trimmed the edges, slit the back and turned it right side out. And then low and behold, I found a hand needle and actually sewed it to the dress!
Check back on Wednesday to see why another addition to the label made it so very special to not only Janelle but the whole Roche family.