Puffy Foam!

This post is a continuation from the September 2015 Designs Plus Newsletter.  If you missed it, stop by for a visit by clicking here.

In today’s lesson you’ll learn how to:

• Work with an embroidery design that is specifically digitized for Puffy Foam.
  • Discover how the stitch sequence has similarities to applique – yet is surprisingly new and different!  (And addicting!)
  • How to use the Circle Template.  (A tool you’ll also find addicting!)

Open Word Art in Stitches.

Click on the Add puffy Text icon in the top toolbar.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Select the Arial Puffy font.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Type the letter “I”.  Click Apply.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Click on File / Save As.  Save the design in C2S format.  Exit Word Art in Stitches.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Open Perfect Embroidery Pro Software.  Then go to File / Open.  Select the “I” embroidery design.  Once the design is displayed on the screen, press Ctrl + A, to select the design.  Click on the Circle Template Icon on the top toolbar.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

A new window appears as shown in the image below.  Change the Width and Height to 100.  Change the number of Repeats to 5.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Click Apply to view the layout.  When satisfied with the layout, press Ok.

Click on File / Merge.  Select the Sweet Nothing Spool Design, #09201005.  (This design is available for free courtesy of Sulky and is featured in the September 2015 Designs Plus Newsletter.  If you don’t have the design, click here.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Place the design in the center of your Puffy border.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Save the design and send to your embroidery machine.

At the Embroidery Machine

Be sure to read the instructions that are included with the Sulky® Puffy Foam™ for tips and techniques.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

I used a Snap Hoop Monster to hoop a sturdy canvas fabric.  I love the color blue – so it was clear I’d use a blue Puffy Foam and blue thread for my design.  You’ll want to match the Puffy Foam with the embroidery thread color.

Stitch the first color, which is a satin stitch outline.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Place the Puffy Foam on top of the satin stitch outline.  Stitch the second color—this second color stitches on top of the Puffy Foam.  If you’ve done applique these steps seem counter-intuitive – but that’s what makes this process so intriguing and exciting!

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Once complete, you’ll notice the excess Puffy Foam perforates away from the project.  How delightful!

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Repeat the steps for each of the Puffy Foam designs.  Then finish by stitching the center design.

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Here’s a close-up view of the 3D-effect created with Sulky’s Puffy Foam.  Looks like Henry found a nice place to contemplate his next embroidery project!

Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog

Want to learn more about Sulky’s Puffy Foam?  Visit their website by clicking here.

Be sure to visit the September 2015 Designs Plus Newsletter for more free designs courtesy of Sulky.

As the fall equinox arrives today it also ends the season of summer. Its funny how the days grow shorter and the embroidery project list grows longer in in the fall. What exciting fall projects do you have in store?

Leave a comment below for a hance to win a $20 Designs in Machine Embroidery giftcard!

The winner of the last assignment answered the following question:

Schmetz needles are available at retailers nationwide. Whenever I’m in my local sewing machine dealer, I make sure I pick up a new pack of needles.  I’m building my stash so that I’m prepared for future projects. How about you? Do you have trouble planning properly? Do you jump right in and then regret it later? Or do you approach projects with caution and prepare accordingly?

The winner is:

Barb: “I do some of each. If I find something I really am excited to try–I jump right in. Other times I may have a pattern that I am “scared” of and I try to plan it out the best I can so hopefully I won’t have too much trouble.”

25 Comments on Puffy Foam!

1. Julie Barkley
    September 23, 2015 at 3:30 pm (4 years ago)

I am excited for fall! I plan on doing a burlap door hanger for fall and also one for Halloween!

2. Donna Fecteau
    September 23, 2015 at 3:44 pm (4 years ago)

i have plans for a halloween banner, one for thanksgiving, and an advent wreath. As well as several quilts that need to be finished before the Christmas holiday rush is upon me.

3. Kristal
    September 23, 2015 at 5:00 pm (4 years ago)

Yes, the list of embroidery projects does grow longer in the fall. I want to get some Halloween projects done, as well as getting ahead on the Christmas projects. Those include scarves for my kids’ teachers,as well as family tree pillows for my parents and in-laws.

4. Belinda Germain
    September 23, 2015 at 5:04 pm (4 years ago)

This fall I am trying to get ahead of the Christmas rush. Right now making gingerbread men for llace settings.

5. QuiltShopGal
    September 23, 2015 at 5:49 pm (4 years ago)

I’m working on a scrappy Halloween table runner and have fabrics ready to cut a Halloween quilt, all while my embroidery machine is stitching out Christmas blocks.

QuiltShopGal

6. lynda case
    September 23, 2015 at 10:15 pm (4 years ago)

Need to complete a quilt then start on holiday dishtowels, etc.

7. Shirley Clark
    September 23, 2015 at 10:55 pm (4 years ago)

I was just thinking the same thing today. My list is getting longer, and I haven’t even thought about Christmas. I’m still working on short for Honduras, plus some burp cloths, and trying to decide on what to embroider on a fall table topper. I bought the fabric to make myself a light weight jacket for church. Woe is me!

8. Becky3580
    September 23, 2015 at 11:17 pm (4 years ago)

Several projects in the works – flannel rag blanket, madras squares blanket, embroidered towels and a tuffet.

9. Glenda Pryor
    September 23, 2015 at 11:58 pm (4 years ago)

I have wanted to make Thanksgiving napkins for our dinner table for a couple of years now. Hopefully I will get them done this year! I also have an Etsy children’s shop, so I’ve already made several Turkey shirts and already have orders for Children’s PJ’s. On top of all of this, I am in the process of making my own Christmas cards, 50 of them!

September 24, 2015 at 6:04 am (4 years ago)

Right now I am concentrating on Christmas gifts, including chalkboard placemats for the grandkids. But I do plan on making a table runner out of burlap for myself.

11. Saundra Romanus
    September 24, 2015 at 7:10 am (4 years ago)

I Have already made two appliquéd trick or treat bags and would like to make a Halloween mantle scarf for my daughter and of course Halloween shirts for the Grandchildren!

12. Pam
    September 24, 2015 at 7:26 am (4 years ago)

I am working on a fall skirt and pumpkin shirt for my Grand.

13. Pam
    September 24, 2015 at 11:04 am (4 years ago)

Organizing so my sewing “stuff” so I am ready for the Christmas projects.

14. Sara Redner
    September 24, 2015 at 2:01 pm (4 years ago)

I have leftover fleece from many baby blankets and thought I would embroider cats on squares of fleece and make a patchwork blanket. Fall would be a good time to start so I’ll be able to use it this Winter.

September 24, 2015 at 6:37 pm (4 years ago)

I have started on Christmas gifts. There are lots of things I would like to make for me , will see if any of those get done.

16. Barb Grant
    September 25, 2015 at 7:32 am (4 years ago)

I’m going to try machine embroidery or appliqué with fall designs on burlap for a dining table topper. I’m excited to try something new!

17. debe
    September 25, 2015 at 1:21 pm (4 years ago)

My 2 elder grandsons want a large scarecrow & I want to make a new fall table runner & wall-hanging. I am starting on Christmas gifts, also.

18. beth
    September 25, 2015 at 2:56 pm (4 years ago)

I am working on a quilt for relative for Christmas, then I will be doing a Christmas tree skirt, then finishing another lap quilt.

19. Becky M
    September 25, 2015 at 3:11 pm (4 years ago)

I’m hoping for cooler weather soon, but not too cold. I’m working on a new tote bag.

20. Heidi Halvorson
    September 25, 2015 at 9:38 pm (4 years ago)

I am looking forward to time to teach my exchange student to use the embroidery machine.

21. Chris
    September 26, 2015 at 9:43 am (4 years ago)

I’ve noticed you’re using software called Word Art. Is this a separate program other then Perfect Embroidery Pro or part of that program?

22. CindyM in Oregon
    September 29, 2015 at 11:25 am (4 years ago)

Because I have so much canning to do before Fall arrives, I usually get way behind on all my projects. Once the rain starts I get busy embroidering, quilting, hand embroidering and sewing clothes. I Love the cold months.

23. Dawn Westover
    September 29, 2015 at 9:29 pm (4 years ago)

I just got a new machine so my list is extra long. I make decorations for the entryway for my mom’s senior living apartment and fall colors are her favorite. A new fall decoration is on the top of the list followed by the yearly Christmas ornaments for my grand kids so I am sure they are done on time. Oh, I forgot, this year’s Halloween costumes take a bit of embroidery too. Oh my, I had better get busy.

24. barbara matson
    September 20, 2016 at 10:56 am (3 years ago)

I love the look of puffy foam. I plan to use it in the near future. It will be a new experience.
    Thankyou

25. Best Webhosting And Vps
    December 6, 2018 at 6:10 pm (1 year ago)

My family always say that I am killing my time here at net,
    except I know I am getting know-how daily by reading thes nice posts.