Little Ways to Say I Love You

Spouses, partners and significant others find countless ways to show their love.  My husband shows his love in many thoughtful ways but there’s one that I really enjoy. He’s my “eye in sky.” He travels quite a bit for business and when he’s on the road, I have proof that he thinks of me. You see, he sends me photographs of embroidered or decorated garments, wallhangings and who knows what. Ninety-nine percent of the time, the garments are worn by some innocent bystander.  Here’s how it plays out:

I’ll be working at my desk, and my cell phone will ping. When I look at it, I see it’s a message from Pete.  I love that – I get all warm and fuzzy and then look at the message. An image appears. And then another. And then the explanation of why he sent it and who the person is follows. He’s very thorough.

This week, he’s in Las Vegas at a convention. And you can imagine just how many embellished garments (or items trying to pass for garments) there are in Vegas on display.  But he knows I’m more interested in everyday wear.  He knows my current fave is uniquely printed fabrics because of our new business, MyFabricDesigns.  Pete is still in the learning phase of understanding the capabilities of print on demand fabric so he was intrigued when he saw the back of this coat:Coat1BL

And even more so when he introduced himself and asked permission to photograph the coat. She only spoke Italian but her husband granted permission in English.Coat2BL

So tell me, how does your significant other show you that they are thinking of you?

37 Comments on Little Ways to Say I Love You

1. Dee
    December 9, 2015 at 4:40 pm (2 years ago)

My husband signed me up for weaving school in North Carolina in January since he knows that is something I have wanted to do for a while now (and he is of course driving me). We have gone on road trips to Nancy Notions shop so I could take classes, been to Vegas for embroidery expo and several quilting embroidery expos in other states. We live in Indiana .Best of all he renews my embroidery magazine subscriptions automatically for me !!

2. Belinda Germain
    December 9, 2015 at 5:42 pm (2 years ago)

He likes to see what I have made with my machines and always lets me know the person I made it for will love it.

3. Charlotte Silber
    December 9, 2015 at 5:49 pm (2 years ago)

My husband always wants to send to the fabric store, or garage sale hop and is always looking out for embroidery programs, fabric and batting. I’ve had to teach what is good to have and not good. He is a willing student. LOL

4. Cynthia Wentworth
    December 9, 2015 at 6:00 pm (2 years ago)

My husband does all the housecleaning (vacuuming, bathrooms, dishes, etc) so I can spend time in my sewing room. He also plotted three trips this summer during Row by Row so I could visit quilt shops in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. He is a keeper!

5. Sue Cubberley
    December 9, 2015 at 7:32 pm (2 years ago)

My husband is letting go on the DIME cruise and take my sister in his place.

• eileenroche
      December 10, 2015 at 5:47 pm (2 years ago)

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It’ll be areal Stitching Sister cruise!

6. maxine mac neill
    December 9, 2015 at 9:20 pm (2 years ago)

When he calls and asks whats for supper.

• shirley b
      December 9, 2015 at 10:15 pm (2 years ago)

Love your answer. That sums it up for my husband , as well!

7. Stella
    December 9, 2015 at 9:42 pm (2 years ago)

My husband hobby is photography and always takes photos of designs he sees that would make a good quilt pattern or design to embroider.

8. Barbara
    December 9, 2015 at 11:20 pm (2 years ago)

Still looking for that significant other.

• Barbara
      December 11, 2015 at 1:35 pm (2 years ago)

Another Barbara here also still looking. Reading other comments makes me believe I can still find someone who will understand my creative addictions. 🙂

9. Gail
    December 10, 2015 at 1:06 am (2 years ago)

My husband used to do all the computer work when I used to test for a number of designers . He bought me lots of extra feet. trim, and designs . He always gives great comments on the items that I stitch out for my grandchildren.

10. Sheila
    December 10, 2015 at 4:07 am (2 years ago)

My husband has always thoroughly supported my many crafts and willingly purchased two spinning wheels and a Janome embroidery machine. My craft room is filled with bins of yarn and fabric which he teasingly refers to as “insulation”. When he is out of town for work he always brings back flowers and fresh red raspberries. A keeper for sure!

• Denise Holguin
      December 17, 2015 at 6:29 pm (2 years ago)

“insulation!” that’s cute!

– Denise

11. Linda
    December 10, 2015 at 4:40 am (2 years ago)

He does the cooking so I can keep “creating” (his term for sewing/embroidering).

December 10, 2015 at 6:53 am (2 years ago)

In January of this year when he asked what I wanted for my birthday I had just received the info about Nancy’s sewing weekend and said I wanted to go. A few weeks later he made motel reservations.I had a great time. I bought the short-e and added on your class on it.He said the 3 days were all about me.You even signed my book for me.First time in my life that more than a few minutes was about me.Thanks for sharing so much info with us.

• eileenroche
      December 10, 2015 at 5:36 pm (2 years ago)

Karen – thank you so much for sharing your birthday wish with me! I’m flattered.

13. Dianne Keffer
    December 10, 2015 at 7:43 am (2 years ago)

My husband shared a FB post of how to take a mans shirt and turn it into a Child’s dress – loved it.

14. bubbieone
    December 10, 2015 at 7:54 am (2 years ago)

He’ll be on the road, and sometimes at 1 am the phone will ring. He doesn’t say a word, just holds his cel phone next to the radio. OUR SONG is playing!!!!! When its over he quietly hangs up. I know he is thinking of me!

• eileenroche
      December 10, 2015 at 5:37 pm (2 years ago)

Ohhh, that’s so sweet!

15. Lynda
    December 10, 2015 at 8:53 am (2 years ago)

My husband is always understanding about my need to sew/create and supports me in all I do.

16. Doree shandera
    December 10, 2015 at 9:21 am (2 years ago)

He not only supports all that I do, he puts up with me. 🙂

• eileenroche
      December 10, 2015 at 5:37 pm (2 years ago)

Mine too!

17. Donna Fecteau
    December 10, 2015 at 9:41 am (2 years ago)

My husband is helping me to take care of my elderly father, its a lot of work and major upheaval to our home. For my birthday he gave me airline tickets and registration to a 4 day quilting retreat in Texas and he is going to stay home and take care of my father solo. What a wonderful man I married.

• eileenroche
      December 10, 2015 at 5:37 pm (2 years ago)

Yes you did!

18. Meghan M.
    December 10, 2015 at 9:48 am (2 years ago)

I think you mean “fuzzy” not “fussy” 😉

19. Francine Meyer-Drasutis
    December 10, 2015 at 10:10 am (2 years ago)

My husband was so proud of my talent. He was so sweet and kind with his words and bragging. He passed away. But I can still hear him as I do something cool.

20. Shirley Clark
    December 10, 2015 at 1:53 pm (2 years ago)

My husband does a lot for me, and has through the years. The one thing that he is consistent on is putting gasoline in my car. He thinks a woman should not have to pump gas. There were a few times he was gone, and he told my grandsons to do it for me. I know how, and I’ve done it, but I love that he takes care of that.

• eileenroche
      December 10, 2015 at 5:40 pm (2 years ago)

I agree Shirley! I’m a Jersey girl and Jersey girls don’t pump gas because they still have attendants in the gas stations in New Jersey. However, it doesn’t matter that I’m a Jersey girl in Texas – I have to pump here!

21. Sharon R
    December 10, 2015 at 1:54 pm (2 years ago)

My husband lets me vent, without trying to “solve” whatever I am ranting about. He says he learned that lesson well while married 37 years to his late wife.

22. Kelly Sasman
    December 11, 2015 at 4:36 am (2 years ago)

It is so wonderful to hear all these stories of good marriages! I’ve got tears in my eyes – plus it is that time of year too! Every time I want a new sewing machine or embroidery machine or any tool for my sewing addiction my husband says “get it. Look at all the tools you bought me or I have in my work shop”. He “gets it” that hobbys cost money but make you happy.

23. MonicaAD
    December 11, 2015 at 1:35 pm (2 years ago)

My husband is a very good ENABLER … It’s NICE having his company as he chauffeurs me to and from fabric stores … FIESTA

24. Joan Shriver
    December 11, 2015 at 2:00 pm (2 years ago)

This week, my husband cleaned and replaced the ceiling light panels in my sewing room. I’m afraid to let him in there for very long for fear he’ll get rid of some of my stash, though.

25. Sara Redner
    December 12, 2015 at 6:20 am (2 years ago)

My husband learned how to repair sewing and embroidery machines so he can keep mine running without having to make that long trip to the sewing center and be without my machine for a week or more.

26. Karen Poole
    December 15, 2015 at 6:14 am (2 years ago)

Oh my gosh! In so many ways! Every single day he shows me, like making sure the coffee pot has fresh hot coffee in it when I get up, by carrying my laundry basket both up and down the stairs, by picking up my favorite type of cheese at the store for me, he does so many things each and every day that it would take a book to list them all. He is such a giving, loving man in so many ways and I’m very happy that he’s mine!

27. Karen Poole
    December 15, 2015 at 6:27 am (2 years ago)

I wanted to add to mine too, my husband does all the cleaning and cooking, and grocery shopping and pretty much anything else too since I have chronic pain. He is always trying to think of ways to make life easier for me. One year for my birthday he got a special fit recliner rocker for me so I would be able to watch tv with the family. And another year for my birthday he had seen me struggling to quilt a big quilt under my small sewing machine so he bought me a Little Gracie II quilting frame!!!

28. Cheryl Wright
    December 15, 2015 at 12:40 pm (2 years ago)

My husband is so sweet. He will take me to a fabric shop and wait out in the car. He says take your time! while he plays on his iPhone or iPad. Once on a long trip in our RV, he scheduled one of our overnight stays in Paducah, just so I could visit the National Quilt Museum. He did all this while keeping it a surprise. He made a lot of points that day! LOL