Versatility

It’s not often you find a designer who offers unique designs in multiple categories. Many design companies specialize and excel in specific categories like home décor, quilting and fashion. But Kreations by Kara’s is different, they seem to nail multiple categories like fashion, quilting and holiday.  Since they are this month’s blog sponsor, I thought it would be fun to take a look at some of their work that we’ve published in Designs in Machine Embroidery over the years.

In Vol. 88, tattoo jeans were featured.  First, they stitched the design on a combination of water soluble stabilizer, tulle and stretch mesh. After removing the water soluble stabilizer, they cut a hole in the pant leg (painful for some of us, I know!) and pinned the design in place. Free motion stitching tacked the design in place and wow – it looks dynamite!TattooBL

One of my all-time favorite Kara designs is this floating butterfly. Her use of value is powerful, as it gives the illusion of flight.Shadowedbl

Next, we have a mix of fashion and holiday. What gray hoodie or white t-shirt wouldn’t benefit by the addition of this trendy holiday stamp design? As an Irishman, I’d be happy to wear this on March 17th.KreatByKaraBL

Back a few years, Kara’s Christmas Ornaments Throw graced the cover of Vol. 83, Nov/Dec 2013. What a stunner that was.Vol83BL

Coming full circle, you’ll find a quilted tablerunner stitched by Marie Zinno featuring Kara’s Quilt Floral Squares in our May/June issue.  I love these designs – they fill the block and swirl from edge to edge.KaraBlockBL

Your assignment for this week:
Have you used Kreations by Kara’s designs? If so, do you have a favorite?  Leave a comment and four random winners will each receive a $25 gift certificate! Yippee! A shopping spree is in order.

The winner of last week’s blog post answered the following question:
Since this issue is the first time we welcomed a cat into our studio I’m wondering if you prefer cats or dogs as pets in your home.  Leave a comment and we’ll select a random winner to receive our new Hoop Clip.

The winner is:
Arleen:  “We have 3 cats and a dog in our household. They all like to “sew” and “embroider” with me in my room.”

Thank you, everyone for taking the time to comment.  The information you shared is very helpful as we continue to come up with fresh content you’ll enjoy!

68 Comments on Versatility

1. Sandy
    March 16, 2016 at 6:27 pm (3 years ago)

Some of Kara’s designs leave me drooling! I’ve recently purchased some of her Christmas trees, and I’m on the verge of beginning work on them.

2. Kathy E.
    March 16, 2016 at 7:00 pm (3 years ago)

Yes, I am a great fan of Kreations by Kara! I have purchased designs from her since 2013. Her work is so unique and stitches out beautifully. One of my favorites is a butterfly too…it’s called Butterfly Bright. I stitched it on a denim tote bag and gifted it to a friend…it was gorgeous!

3. Belinda Germain
    March 16, 2016 at 7:05 pm (3 years ago)

Ii had never heard of Kreations by Kara before. After reading this post I had to go view her website. OMG what beautiful designs! I don’t have a favorite, yet! I’ll have to search the site some more. Beautiful designs, love the horses and Christmas designs!

4. Robin McCallister
    March 16, 2016 at 7:28 pm (3 years ago)

I love her designs. I’m working on a quilt using birds of a feather. It is turning out beautifully.

5. Bonnie Gray
    March 16, 2016 at 8:17 pm (3 years ago)

I loved the Christmas Ornaments throw. She has really high quality designs and such elegant taste.

6. ANIZA AbdRahim
    March 16, 2016 at 8:19 pm (3 years ago)

I recently purchased Kreation by Kara ‘A Bit of Romance’. Have not embroider it yet.

7. Kathy
    March 16, 2016 at 8:24 pm (3 years ago)

I really new to embroidery and am still learning and looking at all the fabulous sites. This one has some stunning designs. Don’t have a favorite yet.

8. Nancy Wichtendahl
    March 16, 2016 at 8:35 pm (3 years ago)

Omg I absolutely flip over kreations by Kara! I introduced my embroidery teacher at my local quilt shop to her site as she admired my stitch outs and she is the same now! Our group truly enjoys stitching out her designs.

• Nancy Wichtendahl
      March 16, 2016 at 8:36 pm (3 years ago)

The Christmas reindeer is my favorite!

9. maxine mac neill
    March 16, 2016 at 8:41 pm (3 years ago)

I have mega designs from Karas Kreations and each and every time I stitch out one of her designs it becomes my favorite – so needless to say it is hard to have a favorite as they all become my favorite

10. Susan Spiers
    March 16, 2016 at 8:44 pm (3 years ago)

I have seen her designs before-just beautiful. You are so right about the butterfky, my favorite!

11. Paula Hendrickson
    March 16, 2016 at 8:46 pm (3 years ago)

I have not tried any of her designs, but would defiantly like to

12. Faviola Martinez
    March 16, 2016 at 8:48 pm (3 years ago)

I used her “Christmas Ribbons” designs to make cushions for my family room. The designs had fantastic shading and stitched out beautifully. I have several sets that I’ve got on my “to do” list.

13. Val
    March 16, 2016 at 8:49 pm (3 years ago)

I haven’t bought any yet, but I go over to website all the time to drool.

14. Diana Hensley
    March 16, 2016 at 8:52 pm (3 years ago)

I love Kreations by Kara. The designs are so unique. I have used a lot of the designs. On a Christmas tree skirt, I put two beautiful angels, and Christmas ornaments on it. I have made some hand towels with some of the Easter designs. I have so many people ask me where I got my designs, and I tell them, Kreations by Kara, the best designs available. I love all the designs and have a lot of them!

15. Glenda Marsh
    March 16, 2016 at 8:58 pm (3 years ago)

I love her high heel shoes with flowers & birds intertwined on them. ‘Drop dead gorgeous’ !!

16. Connie Jordan
    March 16, 2016 at 9:03 pm (3 years ago)

I haven’t sewn any of these designs but I agree she has many beautiful designs and I will be trying some soon, thanks for bringing this designer to our attention.

17. Susie Hoffman
    March 16, 2016 at 9:03 pm (3 years ago)

I have only recently been introduced to Kreations by Kara and have not used any, YET! But hope to soon.

18. Lynda
    March 16, 2016 at 9:12 pm (3 years ago)

Kara has some very “funky” designs but moat are lovely. Have not stitched any out yet but love looking at them.

19. Lynn
    March 16, 2016 at 9:17 pm (3 years ago)

Her quilting designs are wonderful. I will check them out for my blocks.

March 16, 2016 at 9:19 pm (3 years ago)

All of the designs by Kara are unique and stunning and it is hard to choose a favorite, but I will choose Flying Manes. For those not familiar with her site you should get an account and sign up for her newsletter and she gives a free design every month that is always unique and sensational.

21. Susie Mackenberg
    March 16, 2016 at 9:30 pm (3 years ago)

Lots of people digitize embroidery designs, but every once in a while true artist give us art! That is how I feel about the exquisite line of Kreations by Kara! Love so many, but I have to admit the set of Christmas trees she did years ago were my first and I delighted in each one that I sewed out and each made a gorgeous, cherished gift!! Yep, I’m a fan too!!

22. Pam Rohrkemper
    March 16, 2016 at 9:35 pm (3 years ago)

Since I love bunnies, the Bunny in Littl Critters 1 is my absolute fav. I stitched it on a Tote bag and have it as my backdrop on my phone.

23. Shirley Clark
    March 16, 2016 at 10:11 pm (3 years ago)

No, I haven’t used any of her designs. Thanks for the heads up. I like what I see!

24. Pam
    March 16, 2016 at 10:14 pm (3 years ago)

Can’t wait to visit and try Kreationsby Kara

25. Zoe
    March 16, 2016 at 11:01 pm (3 years ago)

My all time favorite from Kreations by Kara is from the ‘Bring Autumn Home’ set: the large leaf that came from the tree. I love trees and this one so speaks to me.

26. Michelle Hall
    March 16, 2016 at 11:20 pm (3 years ago)

Just went and looked at her website and there are definitely some lovely designs there

27. Debra
    March 16, 2016 at 11:41 pm (3 years ago)

I have a few of Kreations By Kara. I have not used them yet, they are on my list to do next. She has so many that are outstanding. Hope to get more designs from her.

28. Elizabeth
    March 17, 2016 at 12:11 am (3 years ago)

I have been an avid customer for many years and used her designs more often than others when doing a “special embroidery” was so sad to hear of her passing last September. Her daughter is also a digitizer/designer and she and a daughter-in-law are continuing the business now.

• eileenroche
      March 19, 2016 at 7:34 am (3 years ago)

We agree, Elizabeth, we were saddened to hear of Kara’s passing. And we wish the very best to her daughter to continue the business. It seems talent runs in the family!

29. Maga
    March 17, 2016 at 12:32 am (3 years ago)

I too was so sad when I heard that Kara had passed away. Hat off to her family for keeping the business going.
    It is almost impossible to choose a favourite but for me the Christmas in Motion is just the essence of Christmas for me closely followed by Leaves, Lovely Leaves. There is something for everybody at Kara’s – I could spend all my pin money there

30. Fiona
    March 17, 2016 at 12:40 am (3 years ago)

I am a true fan of Kreations by Kara.
    Last year everyone was given embroidered tea towels for Christmas with….you guessed it! Kreations by Kara designs on them, and some home made cakes.
    I know that I never have to test stitch as they are beautifully digitised and it saves time and money and effort.

31. Arel
    March 17, 2016 at 1:17 am (3 years ago)

I have used ‘Moonin’ a number of times on tea towels for friends and they’ve each commented on how when they walk into the kitchen in the morning and see the cows, it always brings a smile to their face. It’s my most popular and requested gift request. It’s nice to think something so simple can have so much affect on both embroiderers and non embroiderers and that Kara’s talent lives on.

32. Suzanna
    March 17, 2016 at 4:26 am (3 years ago)

Wow! I have never been to Kreations by Kara site until now. She offers beautiful designs at “sew” many levels. Starting today I am a fan.

33. Linda Epting
    March 17, 2016 at 4:58 am (3 years ago)

I love the Christmas designs. I have used several of the Christmas Ribbons

34. Chris Horton
    March 17, 2016 at 5:09 am (3 years ago)

I love Kreations by Kara and go there first when on Secrets of website. She is very creative. I love the ITH Trapunto zipper bag and her Flapper girls. Very artistic designs.

35. Judie
    March 17, 2016 at 6:19 am (3 years ago)

You are 100% correct. Kara produces some of the very best designs for home embroiderers. She has some of the finest Christmas designs in the industry. You can expect clean sharp lines and sewing excellence every time.

36. Jackie
    March 17, 2016 at 6:28 am (3 years ago)

I love Kara’s Kreations and have a number of their designs. I made the Christmas Ornaments quilt shown on Volume 83 and it was a stunner. I had not seen the designs you shared and will have to look into them. Thanks

37. Kelly Sas
    March 17, 2016 at 7:02 am (3 years ago)

Since I am a newbie to Machine Embroidery, this is the first I have heard of Kreations by Kara, but it won’t be the last. I’m headed over to find the website right after I’m done here!

38. Valerie
    March 17, 2016 at 7:03 am (3 years ago)

Kara’s designs are absolutely the BEST! Her TT Deer Head made a big hit when I used it!

39. Karen S
    March 17, 2016 at 7:12 am (3 years ago)

I love the Christmas throw. I purchased the designs, but have not used them yet.

40. Donna G.
    March 17, 2016 at 7:16 am (3 years ago)

Wow! What beautiful designs! I’ve not tried any from Kara’s Kreations but I’m sure going to be taking a look today!

41. Paula Lund
    March 17, 2016 at 7:55 am (3 years ago)

I have been using Kara’s designs for several years. I have a whole section in my design book just for her. She not only has the best designs, but her digitizing is wonderful. I always look forward to seeing her new creations.

42. Lynn
    March 17, 2016 at 8:19 am (3 years ago)

My favorite Kara’s Kreation’s designs are the Dream Trees. I made a wall hanging, all the trees stitched on black, with a free motion quilted border. I added crystals and the result was WOW. I entered the quilt in the Arizona Quilters Guild show and won 3rd place! My first entry and ribbon. Every design I’ve stitched (and I’ve done many) is beautiful. If you haven’t tried her designs, go quickly to her website and check it out.

• eileenroche
      March 19, 2016 at 7:32 am (3 years ago)

Congratulations on your ribbon!

43. Nancy Stansbury
    March 17, 2016 at 8:35 am (3 years ago)

I have used several of her designs. And the Christmas Throw hangs on the wall of my living room every christmas.

44. Jacqueline Curtis
    March 17, 2016 at 9:38 am (3 years ago)

One of my favorite collections is Shoes of a Feather. I have sewed most of the designs in the collection and have changed the shoe colors and the colors in the feathers. I just love her designs they are so whimsical.

45. Kelly
    March 17, 2016 at 10:31 am (3 years ago)

LOVE all of Kara’s Designs! They are all stunning! Especially the Butterflies. I have put them on Jackets and shirts!

46. Mary Dinkfeld
    March 17, 2016 at 11:58 am (3 years ago)

I love Kara’s designs especially the butterflies, Christmas trees, and hearts. My granddaughter passed away last May but before then, I used hearts and butterflies on her tee shirts. I also made one of my nieces a composition cover using her giraffe designs.

47. Saundra Romanus
    March 17, 2016 at 12:05 pm (3 years ago)

I have never used Kara’s designs, but can’t wait to try them out!

48. Pam Pope
    March 17, 2016 at 3:11 pm (3 years ago)

I love her designs and some day when I get enough time in my world, I hope try them out. As a window shopper, I am a big fan!!!

49. Elaine
    March 17, 2016 at 4:33 pm (3 years ago)

I have never seen her designs before but after visiting her website, I know I will be back for more. Thank you for sharing.

50. Judi C
    March 17, 2016 at 6:59 pm (3 years ago)

I love Kara’s designs & they stitch out beautifully. The most recent design I stitched out was her “Painted Pony” I wish I could post a picture so you all could see just how absolutely beautiful it looks.

51. Susan Burns
    March 17, 2016 at 8:39 pm (3 years ago)

I too am a user of Kara’s beautiful designs. My favorites are “A Dream in Winter” and “A Nations History”. Her Russian squares are to die for!

52. Sandy Stein
    March 18, 2016 at 7:41 am (3 years ago)

I have been buying Kreations by Kara for 3 years. Picking a favorite is extremely difficult as they are all so unique and beautiful but I like Ladies in Line. Truly a talented digitizer and am so thankful that her daughter is carrying on her legacy.

53. Janet Kirby
    March 18, 2016 at 10:36 am (3 years ago)

I love her St. Patrick’s Day shamrocks. They stitch out beautifully! I have many of her designs and I love them all.

54. Joan Shriver
    March 18, 2016 at 7:46 pm (3 years ago)

I have a beautiful autumn wreath and Simple Christmas. Love them both.

55. Linda De Angelis
    March 18, 2016 at 8:50 pm (3 years ago)

I made a Halloween table runner using Kara’s Web Crawler designs.

56. Cheryl Belden
    March 18, 2016 at 9:01 pm (3 years ago)

Hadn’t heard of Kara’s designs before reading this !!! I am new to machine embroidery and love coming across bits of info and especially tips ! I will definitely check out her designs and I’m sure that I will have many favotites

57. Debe
    March 18, 2016 at 11:52 pm (3 years ago)

Yes I have purchased Kara’s designs. y favorite are the FSL Christmas Nativity scene ornaments. I have made many sets & give special persons another ornament from the set each year. They really like them.

58. Sara Redner
    March 19, 2016 at 9:18 am (3 years ago)

There are too many beautiful designs to pick a favorite but I love FSL and the FSL Christmas ornaments are definitely some of my favorites.

59. Janet Fishman
    March 19, 2016 at 4:10 pm (3 years ago)

I used Kara’s butterflies on the lining of a quilted jacket. I smile every time I put it on, the inside is as pretty as the outside.

60. Janet Fishman
    March 19, 2016 at 4:12 pm (3 years ago)

I embroidered Kara’s butterflies on the lining of a quilted jacket I made. Now I smile every time I put it on, the inside is as pretty as the outside!

61. Sue Thole
    March 19, 2016 at 5:14 pm (3 years ago)

I love all of the designs I have used from Kreations by Kara, but my favorite is the etched rose – a very unique sophisticated design. Such a talent for her to create something so beautiful.

62. Josie Dinwiddie
    March 19, 2016 at 6:20 pm (3 years ago)

I hadn’t heard of her before but what you’ve shown is awesome.

63. Sara
    March 20, 2016 at 10:36 am (3 years ago)

I have purchased her designs for quite some time now, the best is she has for every thing & every body, so talented, her creations are exquisite! Sad to hear she passed, but the talent runs in the family with her daughter. We are so happy to have Kreations by Kara for the magnificent, creativity & versatility we get with her creations!

64. Cynthia Martin
    March 23, 2016 at 6:36 pm (3 years ago)

I love, love, love Kara’s designs and gave purchased and drooled over many. I don’t think I can choose just one favorite. They are all wonderful.