Tame Those Tees

Yesterday, I was prepping t-shirts from the Simple to Chic T-shirt Remakes collection that Nancy Zieman and I recently created.  I ruined one of them.  I stepped away from the machine for a second (that’s when danger sprints into the sewing room) and when I returned, the needle was pounding through several layers of t-shirt – of which only one was supposed to be stitched.  URGH!  I exhaled and carefully removed the stitches to release the excess fabric. It worked out okay – the t-shirt will be used for teaching purposes only so I can hide the damage. I moved on to other tasks.

Then last night, I was sleeping and dreaming about work (that’s a mix between a dream and a nightmare).  The dream/nightmare involved t-shirts. I was reliving the day’s activities (see how boring I am – I dream about this stuff!) and then I woke with a start. Use Press’n Seal to control the bulk around the sewing field.  Yes – Press’n Seal, sealable plastic wrap, that you find in your local grocery store. Brilliant!

I couldn’t wait to get to the office and try it out.  And lo and behold – it’s perfect!  I cut a 4” strip and then cut that in half for two 4” x 6” strips. I rolled the t-shirt up around the sewing field and stuck a strip of Press’n Seal on each side of the sewing field.Press1BL

Oh My Gosh – brilliant. Now all those folds and rolls are controlled out of harm’s way. That’s what I call taming a tee!Press2BL

27 Comments on Tame Those Tees

1. Carolyn in AZ
    November 2, 2016 at 4:28 pm (3 years ago)

Great idea. I’m about to make one of those Chit T’s (my 5th one). Others are Christmas gifts. Next one is mine. Long sleeves.

• Ruth
      November 2, 2016 at 4:39 pm (3 years ago)

Fantastic idea! Can’t wait to try it. I’ve been trying to figure out how to embrodetr on the main part of a knitted hat, but it really bunches up & I can’t get it all under the embroidery foot to set the hoop. Maybe this will! Work!

• Mildred
        December 27, 2016 at 1:44 am (3 years ago)

I love reading these articles because they’re short but intvrmafioe.

December 29, 2016 at 11:11 pm (3 years ago)

Great insight. Relieved I’m on the same side as you.

August 30, 2017 at 4:41 pm (3 years ago)

Here is something I was waiting for. Looking forward for the series of posts.Please do discuss the importance of directories, one way-two or 3 way links! etc when you discuss about inbound links.

2. Ennis A
    November 2, 2016 at 5:18 pm (3 years ago)

Brilliant!! Simple ideas are usually the best!!

3. Colleen Bell
    November 2, 2016 at 5:38 pm (3 years ago)

Wahoo! I love it! Good thing for dream/nightmare! Keep them coming.

4. Dina Salsbery
    November 2, 2016 at 8:01 pm (3 years ago)

Brilliant! Something we already have anyway!

5. Dian
    November 2, 2016 at 9:21 pm (3 years ago)

Great idea. I’ll have to buy some Press N Seal

6. anne
    November 3, 2016 at 2:16 am (3 years ago)

it’d be great ! I need to see it for myself, as I never saw Press and Seal stick to anything…will try it on my next t-shirt project. Always worth a try. Although I think that the best trick is to never leave your machine !

• janet
      November 3, 2016 at 6:42 am (3 years ago)

I agree. I can’t even try to read a book or magazine while it’s sewing. I will give the press and seal a try, though. But just so I can read…I’m chicken.

7. Marti Morgan
    November 3, 2016 at 4:18 am (3 years ago)

Great idea and I can see me using it for a lot more of my unmanageable projects. Thanks!

8. Kelly Sas
    November 3, 2016 at 6:28 am (3 years ago)

I wish I had your kind of dreams/nightmares! Mine are always about creepy spiders or run away lawn mowers!

9. maria elena blecha
    November 3, 2016 at 7:21 am (3 years ago)

This is fantastic, I have a roll of it in my sewing room! That is one of the brightest idea, thanks to a dream/nightmare. Thanks

10. Fran
    November 3, 2016 at 7:47 am (3 years ago)

I have loved Press n Seal ad a kitchen and misc. household product for years. This is an amazing embroidery technique and I can’t wait to try it!

11. Esther Bartels
    November 3, 2016 at 8:47 am (3 years ago)

Sounds like the press ans seal can cure lots of problems in the hoop with tees. But what about the plastic guards that you promote and that I bought, but I feel don’t work? Hey didn’t you use them?? Why did I buy them???

• Toria Campbell
      November 17, 2016 at 7:13 pm (3 years ago)

Good point, Esther – I have the same question! I bought DIME’s plastic guards too and now wish I hadn’t. 🙁 Painter’s tape doesn’t stick well enough either. I guess I’ll have to try Press n Seal.

12. Patty Young
    November 3, 2016 at 12:20 pm (3 years ago)

Press and Seal is on my shopping list! Thank you!

13. Pam
    November 3, 2016 at 12:43 pm (3 years ago)

What an awesome idea!!! Thank you!

14. Thurma Livingston-Morrison
    November 3, 2016 at 1:47 pm (3 years ago)

Genius! I love Press and Seal in the kitchen; never thought about it in the sewing room, but will definitely put a package there for times like this! Thanks for the hint.

15. Lisa Atwell
    November 4, 2016 at 9:42 am (3 years ago)

When are the designs mentioned in the article for V101 going to be available for purchase? I notice the name is different from the previous T shirt remake DVD that is currently for purchase. Also have you ever considered instant download purchase. When I find designs I want I want to stitch, waiting on a CD/DVD is torture.

16. Dee
    November 4, 2016 at 12:51 pm (3 years ago)

On October 19, 2016 in Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog http://dzgns.com/blog/2016/10/ribbed-knits-2/
    entitled “Ribbed Knits” she featured Urban Threads’ Anatomical Hand and how to embroider the design.
    At the end of her blog she mentioned that Urban Threads “is kind enough to offer $25 gift certificates to four random winners on this blog. Here’s how to win: jump over to Urban Threads and search for skeletons in their search box (found on the top left column of their home page). Leave a comment here telling us how skeletons designs turn up in your search. Four lucky winners will be randomly selected next week. Good luck!”
    54 people responded to be picked as one of the four random winners.
    There has been no follow-up on the blog naming any winners. I was just wondering how and when the winners of the Urban Threads gift certificate would be notified and if they would be named on the blog.

17. Sara Redner
    November 4, 2016 at 1:45 pm (3 years ago)

I’ve had this happen more than once, and sometimes I’m sitting right there watching and don’t notice it happening! Thanks for the tip.

18. Debra Christie
    November 4, 2016 at 10:19 pm (3 years ago)

I been using press N seal for sometime. Cheaper!!!!!!

19. Joan Shriver
    November 7, 2016 at 4:02 pm (3 years ago)

Great idea! I have learned the hard way never to leave my machine w/o stopping it first. I won’t give you the ugly details.

20. Nancy Sherr
    November 18, 2016 at 4:55 am (3 years ago)

When that Press and Seal box is empty use it to hold a roll of stabilizer. The ends of the box have “rollers” that fit into the ends of the stabilizer and has a built in cutter that works really well. I use mostly Floriani stabilizers, but I’m guessing that other brands would work as well. I keep all my empty Press and Seal boxes now and fill them with any stabilizer that fits, you can reuse them over and over, just tape the ends of the box.