Embroidering on Onesies

Is there anything sweeter than welcoming a new baby into the family right at the holidays?  It brings the meaning of Christmas home…time to focus on the important things in live and leave the mall hustle and bustle to others.  One of our team members, Sandy Griggs, became a first-time grandma on Dec. 18th to Bo Braun – a beautiful, healthy 8.3 pound cherub.

We couldn’t be more thrilled for her family and since Sandy is a previous collegiate softball star, I thought it was only appropriate to stitch a onesie for Bo.  It’s a little cold up there right now but come spring training, he’ll be ready for batting practice!

I purchased a baseball applique design at Applique For Kids and added lettering to personalize it for Sandy. 2016-12-28_15-27-17

Here are the easy steps for stitching an onesie. Fuse polymesh cut-away stabilizer to the wrong side of the onesie.  Place the onesie on a work surface and position the Children’s Perfect Placement Kit Center Chest template on the shirt. Match the shirt’s vertical center with the template’s vertical line and the curved neckline at the bottom of the ribbing. Place a target sticker in the opening. one1

Turn the onesie INSIDE out.  Slide the top magnetic frame of Snap Hoop Monster into the shirt, centering the target sticker. You’ll have to peek into the garment to see if it’s centered.  Attach Hoop Guard to the frame and pull the shirt over the Hoop Guard as shown. one2

Carefully transport the hoop to the machine (use the magnetic shield that came with the hoop). Attach the hoop the machine.  Use the machine’s editing features to center the needle over the target sticker.  Rotate the design so that it will stitch in the proper orientation. one3

Stitch the first color, the placement guide.one4

Place the applique fabric over the outline and stitch color 2, the tackdown.  Trim the applique close to the stitching and continue with the embroidered details. one6

Remove the hoop from the machine, turn the onesie inside out and trim away the excess stabilizer. Fuse a soft, tricot knit interfacing over the wrong side of the embroidery to protect the baby’s skin. one7

If you like this baseball applique, then there’s a good chance you could win a $20 gift certificate at Applique For Kids. Just leave us a comment and we’ll pick FIVE winners next week!  Since Applique for Kids designs are just $2.00, that’s 10 designs!  Pop on over to Applique for Kids and tell me what’s your favorite category of designs – they’ve got plenty!5winners

Happy New Year!

51 Comments on Embroidering on Onesies

1. Ennis Ann
    December 28, 2016 at 6:10 pm (2 years ago)

So cute!! Love applique!! And love using polymesh. Gives good results !!

2. Gerry BARRETT
    December 28, 2016 at 6:42 pm (2 years ago)

Applique is my fave way to do things for kids!

3. Belinda Germain
    December 28, 2016 at 9:54 pm (2 years ago)

I love the baby designs! So cute!

4. Shirley Clark
    December 28, 2016 at 10:35 pm (2 years ago)

We have our first great-granddaughter coming in April. Her name will be Ellie Marie.
    You can never have too many princess designs! I’ve been working on a few onesies, although not my choice of outfits, but I can see where they are easy for the mom.
    I only have a single needle, but I’ve been using the painter’s tape to hold the oneside back away from the design. Works pretty good!

5. Sharon R
    December 28, 2016 at 10:48 pm (2 years ago)

I’m really later to the game, haven’t tried appliqué yet. We have a new grandniece, so perhaps I should learn a new skill.

6. Janice Langan
    December 28, 2016 at 10:52 pm (2 years ago)

I have a little boy coming sometime in the next week. Will he be here in 2016 or 2017? He will be my first grandchild and I couldn’t be more excited.
    I am so grateful that you posted on how to embroider on onsies and a new website for kids designs.

December 28, 2016 at 11:33 pm (2 years ago)

Onesies are indeed a challenge, but I love making things special or one of a kind. Love the team mascots at Appliqué for Kids.

8. Marcia
    December 28, 2016 at 11:47 pm (2 years ago)

I like the penguins in Wintertime fun!

9. Teresa Niwinska
    December 29, 2016 at 2:49 am (2 years ago)

I have 4 months old grandson – I’ve done embroidery for Christmas & New Year (Baby first…) Next will try applique – Thank you for inspiration!

10. Mary Post
    December 29, 2016 at 5:16 am (2 years ago)

I LOVE so many applique embroidery designs from APPLIQUE FOR KIDS. I really like the “Girls” catagory and the Raggedy Ann/Andy applique. Years ago, I made several Raggedy Anne dolls and the appliqué brought back so many great memories. All the appliqués are beautifully designed…how can you pick your favorite?

11. Linda Epting
    December 29, 2016 at 5:22 am (2 years ago)

So cute. My oldest grandson loves baseball

12. Peggy
    December 29, 2016 at 5:42 am (2 years ago)

Timing is everything I always say. We just got wonderful news this past Christmas week when I received a picture via text from my Son’s friend, Missy, (her brother was my son’s dear friend, he died in service). She is expecting in July. My mind as already been thinking of sweet things to make for her and her hubby for the new little one. And I have been to Appliqué for Kids site and have always found it so adorable and such great designs. And appliqué is just one of my fav things to do. Perfect drawing to enter I say!!

13. Luci
    December 29, 2016 at 6:36 am (2 years ago)

Thank you for good hooping instructions. Cute design.

14. Norma P
    December 29, 2016 at 7:15 am (2 years ago)

That is so cute and what a great idea to welcome a new little one (especially a grandchild) into the family. And bonus it makes Grandma feel good too each time the baby wears it. And from my own experience, Mothers love to put clothes on children that are personalized. A bonus all round.

15. Joanne Dillon
    December 29, 2016 at 7:19 am (2 years ago)

Thanks for the insightful and helpful blog for embroidering on onsies. As I welcome my great granddaughter Charley Elizabeth into our family, the tutorial will be most helpful…….not much better in life than a new (great) grandbaby!

16. Tiffany
    December 29, 2016 at 7:21 am (2 years ago)

Great instructions. Thx. My favorite category is the insects and bugs. All kids are fascinated with bugs so could use often for a number of years.

17. Kathy
    December 29, 2016 at 7:26 am (2 years ago)

This came just in time. My grandson and I are just getting ready to put a hockey design on his t-shirt. Now I know exactly how to do it. Thank you

18. Linda Turner
    December 29, 2016 at 7:51 am (2 years ago)

Such a cute design and a great idea to make it personal for Sandy! I love Applique embroidery, but I have never used designs from this website. Thanks for showing an outstanding design that could be for a boy or girl. You always do such beautiful work.

19. Lou B
    December 29, 2016 at 7:52 am (2 years ago)

I have two friends getting ready for grandchildren in May. Thanks for the inspiration!

20. Lou B
    December 29, 2016 at 7:53 am (2 years ago)

Thanks for the inspiration. I have two friends expecting grandchildren this spring and seeing this now will give me time to get them done:)

21. Karen McDonner
    December 29, 2016 at 7:56 am (2 years ago)

Love the applique on the onsie! Too cute. I’m just getting into applique since I purchased my Cameo cutter and have really been enjoying it. I love stitching for my grandchildren and they love having their names on everything. If it’s for kids, I’m all about it.

22. Karen Newman
    December 29, 2016 at 7:59 am (2 years ago)

Thank You for all of your information it has helped me alot and I love this as all of my family are baseball fans and players!

23. Saundra Romanus
    December 29, 2016 at 8:48 am (2 years ago)

I use applique for all my Grandkids shirts and I have purchased from Applique for Kids. I love the little girl head and doll. I put this on a shirt with my Granddaughters name under. Turned out so cute!

24. Vicki
    December 29, 2016 at 12:45 pm (2 years ago)

I love appliqué! I really liked the pirate theme action and the football with the pink hair ribbon. Looks like of fun. My shopping cart is started!

25. faith king
    December 29, 2016 at 1:59 pm (2 years ago)

The Ballarina Frog with Net cracks me up! I also love the Fleur di Lis section.

26. Ann Beckemeyer
    December 29, 2016 at 2:52 pm (2 years ago)

What an adorable onesie! Since I’m from New Orleans, I love the fleur-de-lis and Mardi Gras designs on Applique for Kids website. Thanks for the great ideas!

27. Cheryl
    December 29, 2016 at 4:29 pm (2 years ago)

I love doing appliqués for babies and kids. That is an adorable baseball appliqué.

28. Doree shandera
    December 29, 2016 at 11:15 pm (2 years ago)

I will pull up this every time I go to hoop a onsie
    They have really cute stuff, my favorite group would have to be ” Oceans of Fun”

29. Pamela Pope
    December 30, 2016 at 7:17 am (2 years ago)

Very helpful instructions, not easy to embroider on a tiny onesie! Really appreciate them!

30. Cyndi Bass
    December 30, 2016 at 7:56 am (2 years ago)

Just darling! Thank you for the posting and sharing Applique for Kids! Adding this site as a favorite!

31. Laurie Lukaszewicz
    December 30, 2016 at 5:20 pm (2 years ago)

i am having no success appliqueing a size 6 month onesie. i was using binder clips to keep the rest of the onesie out of they way, and you guessed it, i broke the needle and disconnected the timer. My machine is in the shop for at least 4 weeks. i was hoping to get a good suggestion, but it looks more like you are appliqueing a child’s tee shirt than a onesie!! Any suggestions for me?

32. Dorina Green
    December 31, 2016 at 12:33 am (2 years ago)

I have three grandsons, with the oldest one getting ready to play baseball for the first time. This would be perfect for all of them!

33. Linda D
    December 31, 2016 at 6:27 am (2 years ago)

The perfect applique…so “little boy”! We just received the news that we will become first-time Great Grandparents this summer, so I’m itching to stitch for the little one!

34. Sara Redner
    December 31, 2016 at 6:53 am (2 years ago)

I had a lot of trouble hooping onesies so thank you for the help. I make personalized bibs and burp pads for new babies, and even embroidered blankets for good friends and family. I love applique designs, and there are just so many I love at Applique for Kids that I can’t pick a favorite!

35. Chris
    December 31, 2016 at 8:29 am (2 years ago)

What an adorable website! I enjoy ITH designs, and think that category is best–especially the fringed designs. However, I also enjoyed looking at the gallery of projects done by others and the owner. So cute!

36. sandy fardell
    December 31, 2016 at 1:11 pm (2 years ago)

Very Cute. Thanks for the tips on embroidering onesies, they have always been a challenge, especially with the tiny ones. I have problems not stretching them out when embroidering them… any more hints?. Love the applique designs for children, especially those in the summer and fun time category. I love the new designs in this group, they would look so great on the kids clothes for a trip to the beach.

37. Barb Schu
    December 31, 2016 at 4:09 pm (2 years ago)

This is something I haven’t tried. I love the onesie, but am still not confident.
    how can I get the placement chart shown in the picture? Maybe 2017 is the year to get my courage up!

38. Jeannie
    December 31, 2016 at 6:59 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve taken one stitches out of one side of the onesies to open them up and make it easier to hoop them. I’m amazed that you are able to hoop them and keep the back out of the way without doing that. I will be making a few more for my new grand-daughter – both applique & embroidered. Thanks for the hints!

39. Sharlene Klegstad
    January 3, 2017 at 3:44 pm (2 years ago)

Good directions & cute applique! I’m always looking for ways to make embroidering easier & for children’s designs!

40. Joanne L
    January 4, 2017 at 12:07 pm (2 years ago)

Great designs. Informative!!

41. Valerie
    January 4, 2017 at 4:40 pm (2 years ago)

Love it….had a grandson in December and and have a granddaughter coming in May. Want to decorate some onesies now. Thanks

42. Angela T
    January 6, 2017 at 5:40 pm (2 years ago)

I haven’t embroidered on onesies yet but I plan on doing some. This tutorial is perfect for me. Lots of tips and good instructions. Just love the designs on Applique for Kids. Animal designs are a favorite of mine but they were all cute!!

43. Deb
    January 6, 2017 at 8:20 pm (2 years ago)

So many cute designs. I like the fringe & Faux smocking designs.

44. Theresa B
    January 6, 2017 at 11:32 pm (2 years ago)

Love this design and love that you showed an illustration of the way that you hooped it in the monster hoop with the target sticker and guide plus the guard. Will have to check out the other designs too.

45. Gwen Gaillot
    January 7, 2017 at 2:46 pm (2 years ago)

I have three baby boys due this year and need to stock up on boy designs.

46. Rochelle Kinter
    January 9, 2017 at 12:28 pm (2 years ago)

I was at a DIME get together a few months ago. They showed us the guard that you put on your hoop to do onesies with. I did not get it that day. And now wish I had it. Where do you get it? I see you are using it.

47. Darlene Kennedy
    January 10, 2017 at 2:40 pm (2 years ago)

This is really cute. The magnatic frame sure helps with placement. I’d love one of those. The design is certainly a winner too!

48. Sheila Barnett
    January 18, 2017 at 7:05 pm (2 years ago)

I received my Snap Hoop Monster today and the adhesive rulers are metric. Can I get a set in inches?

49. Kripaluji
    August 29, 2017 at 4:20 pm (1 year ago)

Cmoe on. Fnots dnot laed the eeys, eevrynoe konws taht poelpe raed trhuhog a pocrses faxtitnig pirmraliy on frsit and lsat ltertrs cmoibend wtih an orevlal vsiaul txet ipmerisson.