My Block Piecer Block of the Month: Block 2 Nested Triangles
By Nancy Stansbury
We hope you are enjoying this Block of the Month series. As a reminder, the first Saturday of every month will feature the software lesson using My Block Piecer. The following Wednesday will feature the sewing lesson.
- You are free to adapt the block to a size of your preference.
- A free trial of My Block Piecer is available if you’d like to try it before you buy it. Note the “Save” feature is deactivated until the software is purchased.
- Interested in learning more about My Block Piecer and other Inspirations Software? Join us at an Inspirations Event. Click the Events link for events near you.
- Open MBP.
- Click on Create a New Design
- If the units for the ruler on the design page show mm, Right Click on either one of the rulers on the Design Page, and Click on Inches.
- Right Click on either ruler again and click on Grid Settings.
- Check marks by:
- Maintain aspect ratio
- Snap to grid.
- Set Horizontal spacing to 0.25.
- Click OK.
- Check marks by:
- Click on the Block icon.
- Enter Nested Triangles in the Find box at the bottom of the window (DO NOT CLICK THE ENTER KEY).
- Click on the Down green arrow.
- Click OK to place the block on the design page.
- In the Properties Window on the right side of the screen click on the Transform icon.
- Have Maintain aspect ratio checked.
- Change the Width to 6.
- Click Apply.
- Click on the Select icon and draw a box around the block or Click CTRL-A.
- Click on the Workflow icon.
- Select a 200mm x 200 mm hoop or similar for your machine.
- Click the Auto Build button
- Click Sort Numbers. Select Yes in the message box.
- The numbers have been sorted to the order you will add them to the block.
- Click Preview. I’ve filled in patch 1 with green for easy detection. On your file, look for the green outline. Click Save, located under Preview.
- Click on Create a New Folder icon and name it Blk2Sew.
- Double Click on the folder to open it.
- In the File name box enter Blk2Sew.
- Click on the drop down menu next to Save and select the format for your machine.
- Click Save.
- A window will open showing you the files that have been created.
- Blk2Sew_001.pes.(stitch file for your machine)
- Blk2Sew _artwork.c2s. (original block)
- Blk2Sew _preview.pdf. (sewing instructions)
- Close the file window.
- Close the Save window.
- Click the Cutter icon.
- Seam allowance default is .25”. Normally I change this to 0.4” or 0.5”, to make it easier to place the fabric pieces no matter which cutting format I choose.
- How you are going to cut the fabric pieces for the block will determine which file format (hoop) to choose for the templates.
- If printing templates to manually cut the fabric pieces, select the Paper Letter 210×279.
- If using the Scan and Cut, select Brother SCN 12×12” or 12×24”.
- If using the Silhouette, select Silhouette 12×12”.
- Can Unclick Optimize Orientation if using a directional fabric (This will optimize how the pieces file on the paper.
- If making the large quilt, change 1 to 4 in the Repeats field.
- Click Apply. Click Save.
- In the File name, enter Blk2Templates (or something similar) and select the appropriate format from the drop down menu.
- The software will create files for your digital cutter or PDF patterns for printing on paper.
- Print the templates or prepare your fabric and send the digital cutting files to your cutter.
- Next lesson: stitching!
Pingback: Block of the Month: Block 2 – Nested Triangles – Sewing Instruction – Eileen's Machine Embroidery Blog on February 4, 2018